Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Help! A mouse! What do I do?!

(118 Posts)
Fromage Mon 16-Oct-17 17:31:49

Eeeek!

I heard a rustling and it leapt out of a bag where it had been eating my rice cakes and under the sideboard. I can't see where it has gone.

I have no cat. I am about to go to Tesco to buy a load of traps, but what else do I do? There is going to be a LOT of hoovering going on.

There's never just one mouse is there? I don't have food in low cupboards in the kitchen and biscuits etc live in tins.

I really don't want to have to burn the place down but yuck yuck yuck!

Please help - any tips? What food should I put in the traps?

PS I will laugh at the irony of my nickname at a later date, right now I'm just keen on losing my furry little squatter and all his bazillions of friends. Ugh. Fuck you, Mickey.

IJustLostTheGame Mon 16-Oct-17 17:45:17

Avoid the traps.
They are cruel, messy and often ineffective. My friend once found a mouse leg in one and a blood trail to the hole. envy <---vom not envy.
Honestly call rentokil or similar and have them put poison down. They can put them in places cats, dogs etc won't ne able to get to.
And don't use the ruler over a bucket of water trap either. My same friend who is a cheapskating idiot came home to find a mouse swimming round and round the bucket.

SloanePeterson Mon 16-Oct-17 17:49:43

Chocolate is the best bait. I had a mouse that turned out to be on its own, I think we caught it just in time before it had babies. It horrified me tbh and made me hugely paranoid for a long time afterwards. I have peppermint oil dabbed onto cotton wool in the corners and in drawers as apparently this deters them. The one we had was in a drawer in our living room happily tearing paperwork to pieces and eating he leftover chocolate favours from our wedding.

Fromage Mon 16-Oct-17 17:51:42

I wouldn't know what to do with a ruler and a bucket. I didn't even know mice could measure stuff, let alone swim.

I think I might be able to buy mouse poison. I really really hope it was just one mouse (can't find it now) - I can't find nibbled bits anywhere, and there's no poo. The bloody rice cakes were wrapped in cling film, it's tupperware for me from now on.

Fromage Mon 16-Oct-17 17:55:49

OK, peppermint oil to be doused on all soft furnishings - I think I can get that at Holland and Barrett or somewhere.

Also, do the sonic repellers work, the ones you plug in?

The fact that the leetle fuckers help themselves to chocolate is taking a flippin' liberty. I've remembered I had one in a house years ago, it ate my chocolate. Death to all chocolate thieves.

rockshandy Mon 16-Oct-17 17:57:56

Do not buy poison.

The mice eats it, crawls away under floorboards or other inaccessible place and dies, leaving behind a god awful stench that lasts for weeks and permeates everything.

Traps have always worked for me. Peanut butter is the bait of choice.

Currently trying to catch our third little visitor this year. A perk of living rurally.

rockshandy Mon 16-Oct-17 17:58:53

Mice? Mouse. A little freudian slip there. I am paranoid our one friend is multiplying as we speak. grin

poppl Mon 16-Oct-17 18:04:23

Set your traps with mars bar pieces.

They can’t resist it.

Floellabumbags Mon 16-Oct-17 18:04:46

.*I didn't even know mice could measure stuff, let alone swim.*

Howling with laughter.

Poison is slow and they die under your floorboards and it stinks for weeks. Nutella in a trap works. It's not pretty but it's effective and quick.

Fromage Mon 16-Oct-17 18:16:16

I read about a poison which makes them sod off and find water - but I've heard about dead mouse stench before, so I think I'll go for traps and mint oil.

And no fucking rulers, I don't want to encourage them.

I will source peanut butter and chocolate for traps. How many traps will I need in a 3 bed house? I think upstairs is OK, there's no food up there.

I'm calming down now. Even though I found 3 poos under the sofa (mice, not human)

Right I'm off to the shops for tasty treats and weaponry. I will make a donation to the RSPCA at a later date.

harrietm87 Mon 16-Oct-17 18:23:00

We always use poison and have never had any smells. It's good because you can see when they've eaten it, and you don't have to deal with the bodies (unless they die in the poison box itself, which has happened to me once). Oh and you never have one mouse.

harrietm87 Mon 16-Oct-17 18:23:48

Ps if you must use traps they love
Topic bars if you can still get them - mix of squidgy chocolate and nuts.

Blankiefan Mon 16-Oct-17 18:45:40

There are two types of poison - one that kills them reasonably quickly (so they die under your floor boards) and one that kills them across about a week. We had the pros in and they explained it as

Day 1 - mouse finds bait - thinks "lovely jubbly" eats up and has a full belly so goes back to nest to sleep it off
Day 2 - mouse wakes up with a bit of a hangover but thinks about the food and goes back for more
Day 3 - worse hangover and comes back for more
Repeat for 4-6 days til.mouse doesn't wake up.
obviously anthropomorphic

Apparently mouse always dies in the nest and doesn't suffer

Obviously poor mouse children loose parent

But at least they're not in my bloody house

We always have poison down and just refill trays as necessary.

When you see one mouse there's always others.. ..

64PooLane Mon 16-Oct-17 19:18:50

Not sure about poison tbh. I've seen poisoned mice wandering slowly across the floor leaving a trail of blood (from internal bleeding, I guess?) on two occasions. They go all woozy and weird. Unsettling if children see 'em.

We always used traps in our old flat (no mice here, thankfully) and if they're good quality ones I think this is probably the best approach. Never had a mouse escape leaving body parts behind, in any case.

Fromage Mon 16-Oct-17 19:23:30

I have been shopping for implements of murder, and also Zoflora (because this is mumsnet, after all) and tupperware boxes for any food that doesn't currently live in a box, a can, or the fridge.

I have just plugged in a mouse deterrent which might be snake oil but I can hope. About to work out how to use the traps I've bought, I may lose fingers, this will affect my typing.

SilverHawk Mon 16-Oct-17 19:25:42

We've caught three already this autumn. I can recommend the modern plastic traps baited with peanut butter. They also tend to go round the edge of rooms, so if you have any 'pinch' points next to the skirting board, put a trap there. Do you know where they are coming in? Put a trap near the entry point near the wall.

Fromage Mon 16-Oct-17 19:34:38

I have heard/read that rodent poison is sometimes warfarin - so basically they bleed to death internally.

I like the idea of a mouse so off its tits it doesn't know what's going on, and has a peaceful and/or jacked of its whiskers death. But I don't like to think of a mouse suffering, even though it has ruined my evening and eaten my rice cakes.

Also, judging by how many fingers I have broken working out how to set the frickin' traps, a quick snap and they won't know what's hit them. (I am typing this with my nose) So a more humane death.

In principal I would get a humane trap and release them in some fields, but I live nowhere near fields and they'd only get eaten by something bigger and toothier.

I am going to put newspaper under the traps because I think there might be a bit of a mess.

PS No sign of the mouse and his bazillion friends since I plugged in the mouse scarer, hurray! [deluded]

Fromage Mon 16-Oct-17 19:37:34

I bought cartoon-style wooden traps (which damn near break fingers, owwww) and the plastic ones too. They say put them with the bait facing the wall. I think they might be getting in either under the front door or through the fireplace - both of which will be hard to stop up. It's an old building with lots of points of entry, unfortunately.

I will shit myself when a trap goes off, won't I?

DrMadelineMaxwell Mon 16-Oct-17 19:43:01

If you were me, this is the course of action.

Note cat has brought in mouse.
Trap mouse behind sofa.
Ready a large cereal box, to scoop the mouse up with when scared back out of it's hiding place.
Mouse shuns cereal box, instead preferring the dark shelter of my trouser leg.

Stand up and shriek , shaking trouser leg. DH pisses self as every time he (or I) shake the trouser leg, the mouse climbs higher and higher.

Until I have to give in, undo fly and reach in to pull out the mouse that has climbed as high as it can go.

Liberate mouse. Shower self. Burn wash trousers.

SilverHawk Mon 16-Oct-17 20:09:20

Luckily, we know where they are getting in.
I can recommend the plastic traps made by a firm called 'CAT' ironically.

fizzthecat1 Mon 16-Oct-17 20:11:07

Do you have any friends with a cat who could come round OP? Or neighbours? Cats find them by being able to smell them

dailydance Mon 16-Oct-17 20:16:00

Can you get one of those things that you plug in and it emits a high pitched noise that they hate (and you can’t hear)? ..so they move out. Jeez, my dad’s a country man and even he wouldn’t use a trap because of how cruel they are. Please don’t kill it like that. Btw - you don’t have one mouse, you have many. Get the alarm thing that they don’t like

Fromage Mon 16-Oct-17 20:18:01

Oh DrM. I've had a wasp up my trouser leg, that ended in a sting for me and a squashy death for the wasp. In your shoes trousers, I would have just shot myself and been done with it. A mouse up my trouser leg is more than I could bear.

I'm going to take off my jeans and put on some leggings now. And gaffer tape them to my ankles. I might put a trap on each knee, just in case though.

My sympathies for your ordeal (whack dh round the head with the cereal box)

I've not heard scrabbling or rustling since earlier, which is a good sign and means the single mouse who has no friends has left of his own accord, right?

Fromage Mon 16-Oct-17 20:26:04

I've plugged in my plug in EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE sound.

I think the traps are the most humane/least awful way to get rid of them. I don't want them to bleed to death in agony over several days (nor to have the joint stink of decomposing mouse) and there's nowhere to safely release them into the wild - I live in a city. Plus I'm assuming they're some sort of house-mouse who would perish in the wild.

I don't want to live with them and I don't think a house meeting and my persuasive arguments about mortgage repayments and council tax contributions will cut the ice. They might be able to claim squatters' rights and I can't afford a lawyer.

Are my only solutions to move out, or burn the place down?

Fromage Mon 16-Oct-17 20:26:45

I have sprayed the carpet with disinfectant and I'm hoping the smell of that alone will do the job because frankly, it's working for me. <cough>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now