Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

This new thing on FB

(293 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

fatowl Mon 16-Oct-17 13:01:48

I don't know if anyone else is getting the following post on FB:

Me, too.
(If all the women who have been sexually harassed or assaulted wrote "Me, too." as a status, we might give people a sense of the magnitude of the problem.
Please copy/paste.)

I know it's FB and I can just scroll on down but really??
shock

ZaphodBeeblerox Mon 16-Oct-17 13:02:48

But isn't it surprising how many women have been sexually assaulted or harassed? Maybe it'll bring about some awareness of how common it is?

MrsHathaway Mon 16-Oct-17 13:03:11

Yes, really. It's fucking epidemic. And if someone thinks "oh that hasn't happened to anyone I know" and logs on to FB they'll see that actually it has happened to lots of people they know. Which is apparently what people need to see before they take action on stuff.

fatowl Mon 16-Oct-17 13:06:59

I suppose you're right, it is just making me quite uncomfortable, but I suppose that's the point. Some women who have been assaulted may feel they have to post "me too" or feel bad if they don't.

DonkeyOaty Mon 16-Oct-17 13:07:02

We can do it here, if you like.

Me too.

MrsJayy Mon 16-Oct-17 13:07:20

I have seen a few me too are you really shocked that women you know have been assaulted or do you think they are bandwaggoning? I don't understand your really

MulberryMoon Mon 16-Oct-17 13:08:14

Me too

Littlechocola Mon 16-Oct-17 13:10:01

Not on Facebook but what don’t you like about it?

Me too

MrsHathaway Mon 16-Oct-17 13:10:34

I started a thread about this that nobody's commented on you caaaaaaahs.

Some women who have been assaulted may feel they have to post "me too" or feel bad if they don't.

The ally hashtag is #IBelieveYou, which has been running for a while.

But anyway. Me Too and I Believe You.

Trailedanderror Mon 16-Oct-17 13:10:39

I'll do 'me too' here instead of on FB
I sort of know what you mean OP, I have my mil and work colleagues on FB and I just don't want to have it 'out there' which is ridiculous as it's not my shame, but the teacher's/ men on public transport/ randomers in the dark.
flowers

MrsHathaway Mon 16-Oct-17 13:11:12

And anyway the whole point is that if lots of people are saying "me too" then it's safer for each individual person to say "me too".

Only twats would wonder why a particular person hadn't joined in.

ThePeanutGallery Mon 16-Oct-17 13:11:34

Yup. First time I've done a copy in paste ever. I want people to be shocked by how many women have been assaulted and harassed.

Me too.

fatowl Mon 16-Oct-17 13:12:01

I'm not shocked, I know it's far more common than people think. I'm just uncomfortable with it being on fb - along with the heart nonsense and the no make up selfies.
Looks like I'm in a minority though

Allthebestnamesareused Mon 16-Oct-17 13:12:21

Me too

And I have posted it on Facebook too.

Mary1935 Mon 16-Oct-17 13:13:15

Me too

MorrisZapp Mon 16-Oct-17 13:14:20

Me too but not on fb thanks.

LouiseBrooks Mon 16-Oct-17 13:14:34

And this is one of the problems - women being ashamed to "admit" (as if they'd committed a crime) that they've been assaulted.

I do understand the hesitation, as I have not yet put it as my status although I've been harassed or assaulted several times. However, we've done nothing wrong and it's about time we stopped thinking that any of it is our fault.

sooperdooper Mon 16-Oct-17 13:15:17

The whole point is that most people will be surprised/uncomfortable by how many women respond

Me too

NotJustThreeSmallWords Mon 16-Oct-17 13:16:39

I haven't said it on FB because I find it too personal but I have shared the post behind it.
Me too.

MummytoCSJH Mon 16-Oct-17 13:18:41

You feeling this way is part of the problem and the reason why people dont come forward and get help.

Me, too

FAkenameforthis Mon 16-Oct-17 13:19:48

I wouldn’t put it on Facebook because it feels attention-seeky rather than solidarity. Writing it on an anonymous forum seems safer in a way...

OccasionalNachos Mon 16-Oct-17 13:19:56

Me too.

Alittlepotofrosie Mon 16-Oct-17 13:20:29

Me too.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Mon 16-Oct-17 13:20:36

I dithered about whether to participate as I can't stand most of these things, but actually decided it was worth it. Despite my shame.

Which is of course not really my shame, but should be the shame of the bastards who have assaulted me over the years. And I've not been through much, just what I would, ironically, consider the "usual" for a lot of women - public groping, nightclub assaults etc. No rape, nothing behind closed doors. All in bloody public.

MrsHathaway Mon 16-Oct-17 13:20:38

I'm just uncomfortable with it being on fb - along with the heart nonsense and the no make up selfies.

I sort of know what you mean - it feels far more Twitter than FB. But actually the conversations which are happening as a result have been really useful.

And if anyone feels weird about seeing it on my status, I hope they have a little think about why they feel that way. And if it's because they think I shouldn't have said so, I hope they FTFO and Unfriend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now