Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

To Discuss New Mendela Effects.....

(230 Posts)
M4Dad Mon 16-Oct-17 11:19:00

I accidentally went down a bit of a Rabbit Hole on Youtube last night after hearing that the line:

“What if I told you that everything you know is a lie”

Which is from the movie, the Matrix doesn’t actually exist. I swear this is said when Neo is offered the Red or Blue pill, I’m blown away that this was never said. I’ve even seen memes that say the same line??

Also:

“Mirror Mirror on the wall” – That doesn’t exist either, it’s “Magic Mirror on the wall” – That’s also weird.

Lastly, and another one that blew my mind a bit.

Apollow 14:

The famous line is “Houston we have a problem”

It’s not accurate, what was actually said on the original mission was “Houston we had a problem

What?

Anyone got any others? I was also blown away by how many new species have been found recently, it's like a lot but like I said, I was down a bit of a rabbit hole............

cjt110 Mon 16-Oct-17 11:27:29

Random I know but I thought Liz Dawn had been dead a long time until they announced her death last week/week before.

cjt110 Mon 16-Oct-17 11:29:25

In the vein of movies....

It seems that the majority of people confidently remember Forrest Gump stating that his mama always said, “Life is like a box of chocolates.” Well, it turns out that he actually said, “Life was like a box of chocolates,” despite what you may’ve felt you distinctly remembered. Link

cjt110 Mon 16-Oct-17 11:30:08

Another film one....

If you’ve seen The Silence of the Lambs, you know the most famous line is “Hello, Clarice.” The only problem is, that never happened — and when Clarice first meets Hannibal Lecter, he simply says, “Good morning.” That's it. How is a film’s most well-known line nonexistent? Nobody knows, and it’s eating away at people.

M4Dad Mon 16-Oct-17 11:32:59

Another minor one. I also thought the crisp flavour was "Worcestershire Sauce" flavour.

It's now and also has been "Worcester Sauce"

Again, what?

M4Dad Mon 16-Oct-17 11:33:51

Nobody knows, and it’s eating away at people

That's how I feel about the Matrix one.

ginghambox Mon 16-Oct-17 11:34:37

Kirk never said "Beam me up Scotty" in Star Trek

TopBitchoftheWitches Mon 16-Oct-17 11:34:54

Stop this madness now !
You are all getting me very confused 🤷‍♀️

TopBitchoftheWitches Mon 16-Oct-17 11:35:15

gingham

Yes he did !!

colleysmill Mon 16-Oct-17 11:36:37

Im fairly sure Lead on Macduff is not actually said in Macbeth

Films ones - sometimes they use lines in trailers which don't make the final cut of the actual film.

Sometimes a comedian will do a sketch/parody of a famous film and makes up a couple of 'typical' lines from it so his or her audience can identify what they are talking about very quickly. The parody then becomes lodged in people's minds.

Others are just common misquotes. Just saying 'Life was like a box of chocolates' sounds weird in most contexts so you change the verb to suit. But in the film it makes perfect sense because of the bit he says before. Plus it's similar to the quote 'life is like a bowl of cherries'.

Smeaton Mon 16-Oct-17 11:42:10

Remember those popular 80s treats 'Dib Dab'?
No you don't..
They're 'Dip Dabs'

ginghambox Mon 16-Oct-17 11:43:57

He didn't the closest he came was "Scotty beam me up"

M4Dad Mon 16-Oct-17 11:44:50

Painted Lion,

I agree with you, it's interesting though.

One of the theories behind the recent rise in Mandela effects is that CERN did something they shouldn't have done and moved realities on us. So lot's of things are ever so slightly different. smile

M4Dad Mon 16-Oct-17 11:47:07

Another one, I remember Dr Pepper having a full stop after the "DR" (I lived on a USAF base as a kid)

Dr. Pepper never existed.

MissionItsPossible Mon 16-Oct-17 11:56:50

I too thought that Liz Dawn had already died.

M4Dad Mon 16-Oct-17 12:00:08

let's do a quick experiment, without checking the internet.

Does Mr Monopoly (the one with a top hat) wear a monocle?

Yes or no?

TopBitchoftheWitches Mon 16-Oct-17 12:03:02

Ohh I think yes.

CoolCarrie Mon 16-Oct-17 12:04:56

It's " Lay on MacDuff" in Macbeth

GissASquizz Mon 16-Oct-17 12:05:18

Yes.

Unihorn Mon 16-Oct-17 12:05:27

"Luke I am your father" is actually "no, I am your father."

M4Dad Mon 16-Oct-17 12:08:10

"Luke I am your father"

Which is even more strange as they actor himself is convinced he said it.

M4Dad Mon 16-Oct-17 12:13:17

TopB & Giss,

Mr Monopoly never wore a monocle. That doesn't prove anything but it's fun to talk about it.

M4Dad Mon 16-Oct-17 12:14:41

Another one:

Without checking, and this is slightly more difficult; how many people were in the car when JFK got shot?

ginghambox Mon 16-Oct-17 12:16:48

It was a streched car so 5 or 6.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now