Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What to do with gin now that the sloes have gone?

(26 Posts)
NotJustThreeSmallWords Sun 15-Oct-17 23:32:47

I always make a bottle of sloe gin for Christmas but have left it too late this year and all the sloes have either gone or are all wrinkly.
Apart from drink it as is which is not a problem is there anything else I can make? I've got a farmer's market nearby so not a problem buying fruit instead of foraging.
gin

Lookingtothehighlands Sun 15-Oct-17 23:35:42

Lots of sloes still near me? And you're not meant to pick them for sloe gin until after the first frost, which we haven't had yet.
But you could use plums, blackberries, black currants - they all make delicious fruit gins.

NotJustThreeSmallWords Sun 15-Oct-17 23:41:57

That was why I left it Looking as we haven't had a frost yet. I went out today on a reccy to my usual field and they were pretty bare. I spoke to someone who was picking the few remaining ones and she said that the birds had had them all this year as it was so mild and they were riper than usual.
But plum gin sounds amazing!

NotJustThreeSmallWords Sun 15-Oct-17 23:43:56

Oh yum thank you!

LadyPeterWimsey Sun 15-Oct-17 23:54:13

I make cranberry gin at Christmas - gorgeous colour, and v yummy.

NotJustThreeSmallWords Mon 16-Oct-17 00:01:10

Ooh, that sounds festive Lady
How long does it take to make and where do you get the cranberries from?

Oncewaswho Mon 16-Oct-17 00:02:18

I'm looking for sloes tomorrow. Failing that I'm going to try frozen raspberries on a friends recommendation.

DancingLedge Mon 16-Oct-17 00:02:25

I thought the Sloes go early cause waaay too many people now want to make Sloe gin.But you're right, could be birds.
So I now pick as soon as they seem fairly ripe, and give a quick ' frost' in the freezer.

NotJustThreeSmallWords Mon 16-Oct-17 00:17:50

Yes, in the freezer was my usual default and I usually go out early October but missed the boat this year and there's few left.
Raspberry gin also sounds good.
But gin + - what is there not to love?

KatyN Mon 16-Oct-17 06:31:59

There are no sloes round here this year. I don’t think it’s the birds or other people just there aren’t many.
I’ve made rhubarb gin and black currant gin this year instead. Mmmm

Frith1975 Mon 16-Oct-17 07:56:41

There are sloes left round here. Have you tried walking further afield? I get loads from a country park locally.

Melony6 Mon 16-Oct-17 08:10:31

Damson gin is great. There are probably some frozen ones in the supermarkets.

LadyPeterWimsey Tue 17-Oct-17 07:52:57

Sorry, just saw your question: it's a Tesco recipe which another MNetter linked to a few years ago - delicious!

LadyPeterWimsey Tue 17-Oct-17 07:55:55

Because it only takes a couple of weeks to make, you can just wait until cranberries are in the shops. I don't know what it would be like with frozen cranberries.

ThursdayLastWeek Tue 17-Oct-17 07:58:34

Haha, we don’t even get a first until January down here in the south west I’d be waiting for ages!

My sloe gin has been stewing away for a few weeks already, but I do like the sound of a raspberry one. Do you just leave it in the same kind of way @oncewaswho?

OydNeverDeclinesGin Tue 17-Oct-17 07:58:56

Raspberry gin is lovely, as is blackcurrant and also rhubarb and ginger.
I'm experimenting with a spiced apple and rhubarb gin at present. I hoping for good things smile

ThursdayLastWeek Tue 17-Oct-17 07:59:37

*frost

RosyPony Tue 17-Oct-17 08:01:46

I did mine last week, I thought I had to walk a bit further than usual but I ended up with plenty.

What about Christmas pudding gin? Basically add the spices, candided peel etc that you use in Christmas pudding?

Fireinthegrate Tue 17-Oct-17 08:16:31

The blackthorn in my garden is groaning with sloes this year. Really fat, ripe, juicy ones.
I will be picking a load soon, then popping them in the freezer overnight before making my sloe gin.

OydNeverDeclinesGin Tue 17-Oct-17 08:21:32

Does anyone do anything with their sloes after the gin had finished?

AngelsWithSilverWings Tue 17-Oct-17 08:26:21

Once we have decanted the sloe gin we pour sherry over the gin soaked sloes and leave it for a few weeks before decanting back into the sherry bottles. It's lovely. DH does it so I don't know the quantities - I think he found the recipe on line somewhere.

AngelsWithSilverWings Tue 17-Oct-17 08:28:02

Think it's this recipe http://www.cottagesmallholder.com/sloe-sherry-recipe-104/

Solasum Tue 17-Oct-17 08:29:48

Sloe truffles

ILikeyourHairyHands Tue 17-Oct-17 08:35:36

If you're desperate for slow fun you can buy dried sloes from brewing shops.

ILikeyourHairyHands Tue 17-Oct-17 08:36:51

Slow fun???? Sloe gin!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now