Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Ophelia the Irish Hurricane 2017

(556 Posts)
Winterbeaches Sat 14-Oct-17 23:29:55

Who's worried? I'm getting all these warnings on Facebook and it looks like we're going to be absolutely hammered.

I live by the sea and they're predicting serious coastal flooding.

Wild craic altogether.

gabsdot Sat 14-Oct-17 23:52:29

I'm just annoyed because I had tickets for the circus on Monday and it's cancelled. We can't go another night until Friday which costs more.
Boo!!!

MapMyMum Sat 14-Oct-17 23:58:24

Irish weather online are saying that we will cope but we do need to be prepared and "dont make unnecessary journeys'!!! I live by the sea too but Im not too scared. Not sure what I'll do about dinner though if the power goes out - we're moving soon and the fireplace has already been cleaned so I dont want to dirty it again before moving. Guess it'll be sarnies and cold snacks all round if that happens!

Minniemagoo Sun 15-Oct-17 07:36:40

Am wondering if we are not taking it seriously enough. Other than putting away all loose garden items yesterday I hadn't really given it much thought but then I got a FB message from a Canadian relative wishing us well and hoping we stay safe. He has me freaking out!

Winterbeaches Sun 15-Oct-17 08:26:51

I feel the same Minnie..I'm joking about it but I wonder if it's going to be a case of famous last words, like the weatherman in the big storm in England

Taytocrisps Sun 15-Oct-17 09:21:48

The red weather warning is for Galway, Mayo, Clare, Cork and Kerry and Bus Éireann have cancelled school bus services in those counties. An orange warning is in place for the rest of the country There's still a chance it might weaken before it reaches Ireland. I'll keep an eye on Irish Weather Online and Met Éireann. I really hope it will be less severe than it sounds, with minimal damage and flooding. There's probably a high likelihood of power cuts though, especially along the west coast.

Facebook is good for whipping up hysteria.

Peopleplease Sun 15-Oct-17 09:28:17

When is it due to hit?? I'm in Kerry, better get round to putting away DDs summer toys!

FlaviaAlbia Sun 15-Oct-17 09:29:22

The NI weather service put out a Facebook warning that sounds like we're in for a time of it. Everywhere is either red or yellow.

m.facebook.com/northernirelandweather/photos/a.167450290001977.43415.128253500588323/1511279165619076/?type=3&source=48

Taytocrisps Sun 15-Oct-17 12:36:41

These are very funny

www.dailyedge.ie/ireland-hurricane-ophelia-3647590-Oct2017/?utm_source=facebook_short

Winterbeaches Sun 15-Oct-17 13:32:27

A lot of those fb pages are nothing to do with actual meteorologists though. So either they're whipping up hysteria, or we are all fucked, but the actual meteorologists are playing it down as there is not much they can do now. I can't decide grin

Blackandpurple Sun 15-Oct-17 13:44:02

I'm not worried. Living on the side of a mountain im used to wind and rain.

Minniemagoo Sun 15-Oct-17 16:11:22

With the DOE making the decision to close schools I'm beginning to take this more seriously. Am going to plan a bbq dinner tomorrow evening just in case electricity is out. Dh on search for torches etc.

junebirthdaygirl Sun 15-Oct-17 16:16:15

Waterford Wexford and Limerick now on red alert. So looks serious enough. Stay safe everyone. All trampolines battened down as they can break windows etc.

Whatthefoxgoingon Sun 15-Oct-17 16:17:46

I think some sensible precautions are needed.

Find your torches, candles, matches and wind up radio.

Get some food in that doesn’t need to be cooked and some bottled water.

Tie down loose garden furniture and take your washing in.

Make sure you have enough prescription medication in the house for a few days.

Keep your phones charged.

Make sure elderly neighbours are ok and have provisions.

No need for any hysteria!

Balfe Sun 15-Oct-17 16:20:01

PIL in Clare say it's eerily still just now. FIL has been entertaining himself reciting Hamlet out of the window (I can just see him doing it grin )

Stay safe everyone.

WeShouldOpenABar Sun 15-Oct-17 16:27:07

Just putting this here to keep spirits up if worst comes to worst grin

youtu.be/bzx3MeYonT8

Minniemagoo Sun 15-Oct-17 16:31:40

I dunno 'Whatthefox..' I think theres the opposite of hysteria going on.
The pubs shut for Good Friday and there is mass panic buying of beer,
The worst weather front since 1961 hits and its 'ah sure its only the weather' 😎

tazzy73 Sun 15-Oct-17 16:31:41

weshouldopenabar
Lol, never heard that version.
Think it will be fairly calm in Meath. Hopefully!!

Batten down the hatches. wine

youwouldthink Sun 15-Oct-17 16:42:54

Wexford/Waterford also now Red status. Schools and public building closed tomorrow. Here's hoping its not as bad as they predict!

Isabeau1980 Sun 15-Oct-17 16:50:05

Limerick status Red too.

www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp

Foggymist Sun 15-Oct-17 16:56:37

It's verrrrry still and lovely outside now in Galway, thankfully nowhere near the coast (the one time I'm grateful I'm far from the beach).

FirstShinyRobe Sun 15-Oct-17 17:10:15

Hope you all stay safe & have no damage.

My friend is on holiday in the west of Scotland & the accuweather forecast for where he is made me chuckle - A little rain in the morning; Tropical Rainstorm Ophelia in the afternoon.

Opheliasgoldenwine Sun 15-Oct-17 17:11:14

Is it meant to hit Scotland??

Winterbeaches Sun 15-Oct-17 17:29:47

Love the Hamlet quoting FIL grin

Does anyone know what time it is meant to hit? I know it's tomorrow, but what time? I have an important appointment tomorrow but it's a potentially dodgy route.

Foggymist Sun 15-Oct-17 17:35:06

Most things say from 9am worsening in afternoon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now