Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Before you flush that 'flushable wipe, or pour the cooled fat down the drain...

(37 Posts)
StepAwayFromCake Fri 13-Oct-17 10:33:38

...watch this.

duvetdaysgone Fri 13-Oct-17 10:58:53

What a rank job to have 🤢 and it's a job that's so easily avoided if some were not so lazy and think "anything can go down the loo"!

ArcheryAnnie Fri 13-Oct-17 11:04:29

The engineers who go down there to hack away all that are bloody heroes!

But they wouldn't have to do it if people weren't so daft about what went down the pipes.

Personally, I think the companies - eg Andrex, who recommend that people use dry loo roll, then a wet wipe, then more dry loo roll, so three times the usual amount, a third of which won't degrade in the water - should be fined massively for promoting wet wipes as flushable.

YoureAnArseholeDenise Fri 13-Oct-17 11:11:04

How are they allowed to advertise them as flushable if they aren’t?

StepAwayFromCake Fri 13-Oct-17 11:12:34

I don't think that there is a legal definition of flushable. Linguistically, it goes down with the flush, therefore it is flushable.

NannyR Fri 13-Oct-17 11:14:35

Technically they are 'flushable' in that they disappear when you flush, but they are not easily broken down or biodegradable and that's what causes the blocked pipes.

seasidesally Fri 13-Oct-17 11:41:56

the LA need to keep a very keen eye on resturants and takeaways,they are huge offenders of this

seasidesally Fri 13-Oct-17 11:42:49

who flushes baby wipes,i just cant imagine every doing that but many must do

Triplesalchow Fri 13-Oct-17 12:55:48

I don't flush baby wipes but I do flush 'flushable' toilet training toddler wipes. I assumed they were biodegradable but clearly not. Will bin from now on!

YoureAnArseholeDenise Fri 13-Oct-17 13:39:19

Well tampons flush away perfectly well but everyone knows you shouldn’t and they don’t advertise them as flushable even though they are, technically.

I’m assuming that if they were allowed to describe them as flushable, they would.

Ergo, there’s obvs a reason why flushable wipes are allowed to be advertised as such if they’re not.

So what is it?

CoughingForWeeks Fri 13-Oct-17 16:15:25

I had an ex who was a civil engineer. He was fine with the fatbergs and anything else in the sewers, but show him a shower drain clogged with hair and he'd start retching.

wrenika Fri 13-Oct-17 18:06:53

I don't think they're 'engineers' who are hacking up fatbergs...you don't do all that training to poke hard fat! An engineer might be designing a solution - an improved sewer - a maintenance requirement - etc, etc...but not the person actually removing it. (I'm saying this as an engineer who is peed off with the name being used for technicians. It degrades the skills. According to the UK, you get an 'engineer' in to fix your boiler...but he's not an engineer, of course he's not. Rant over...)

I don't think any amount of videos, articles, links or otherwise is going to make people care who don't currently care. I pour fat down my drain...and my DP loves his 'flushable' wipes. Maybe we should have grease traps on our drains or something like that.

SukiTheDog Fri 13-Oct-17 18:20:09

The lack of responsibility pisses me off. Wrenika are you a bit daft? Perhaps you can’t read or don’t have the intellect to work out that what you and your DH are doing is causing this? Oh, hang on, I’ve worked it out....you actually don’t care. Right. Daft then.

picklemepopcorn Fri 13-Oct-17 18:25:31

It isn't hard to use a fat trap. Really shouldn't need to be told more than once.

As for flushable wipes, if you put them in a bottle of water and shake, they take hours to break down as opposed to the seconds taken by paper. In that time in the sewers, they've been coated by fat and tangled with other objects into a congealed mess.

megletthesecond Fri 13-Oct-17 18:30:00

We don't need grease traps in the drains. We need people to realise how irresponsible it is pouring fat down the drain.

I rarely have oil or fat to dispose of. But when I do it sometimes goes in the compost bin (cold) or i wrap it and bag it in my bin.

SukiTheDog Fri 13-Oct-17 18:34:22

I let it go cold. Wipe away with kitchen roll and bin it. Nothing would induce me to put anything but loo roll down the toilet.

specialsubject Fri 13-Oct-17 19:00:47

Beyond me who thinks you put fat down a drain.

The flushable claim is a lie and should be banned. Nothing down the bog except body waste and toilet roll.

NeedsAsockamnesty Fri 13-Oct-17 19:05:19

I accompanied someone to a pip assessment today, there was a sign in the loo saying ‘please flush handtowels down the toilet”

Actual thick paper hand towels

FiveShelties Fri 13-Oct-17 19:07:22

Have a friend who is a plumber - he loves all the people who use so called flushable wipes and pour fat down the drains.

elevenclips Fri 13-Oct-17 19:07:39

There needs to be far more widespread education on this. When my dc were toddlers I flushed "Kandoo" wipes (toddler toilet training wipes) because it said on the packet they were flushable. How the fuck is the public meant to know that "flushable" doesn't mean they can be flushed. Millions of parents have flushed these. No wonder there are so many problems.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Fri 13-Oct-17 19:13:13

They should be on 2K PW for doing that.
Now the fat there is no excuse. However with the "flushable" wipes should the companies who deem them flushable not take some of the blame, after all. Under the trade descriptions act all statements on products must be true

thecapitalsunited Fri 13-Oct-17 19:14:30

I had to get my drains jetted just last week because a visitor to my house flushed a 'flushable' wipe down the toilet causing a blockage in the drains. Luckily I noticed that the washing machine was making a funny gurgling noise when draining and caught it before the toilets started backing up. I don't know who for sure so I can't present the bill to them but I'm not happy at all.

Hopefully Wrenika and others who insist on misusing our drainage systems will get to experience blocked drains but so often these kinds of selfish idiots never have to face the consequences of their actions.

StepAwayFromCake Fri 13-Oct-17 20:04:41

Why don't you care, *@Wrenika*?

Pumperthepumper Fri 13-Oct-17 20:09:28

wrenika my husband is a (university qualified, professional) engineer and he's intelligent enough to know not to pour fat down a drain. What kind of engineer are you?

nannybeach Sat 14-Oct-17 19:16:23

I have concrete floor in my kitchen, if the waste got clogged up with fat it would mean digging up floors. Lasy year, it was obvious our loo was blocked, guy came out next doors manhole was blocked with fat and a piece of rag, the sewer served 4 houses.Dont have fat to dispose of? If I use frying pan, smallest amount of oil, wiped out with kitchen paper, in the bin, I make cakes every week, wipes the mixing bowls out and do the same. Lets hope the idiots who do pour fat down the sink, experience the same as me, the poo coming up from the toilet all over your bathroom floor!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now