Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

For the love of God - failsafe slime recipe please

(49 Posts)
Dancergirl Thu 12-Oct-17 20:17:15

One that has been tried and tested and actually WORKS angry

Dd found a DIY slime book in WH Smith for a few quid. Loads of different recipes and the author is on YouTube and seems to know her stuff.

Went out and bought PVA glue (normal and clear), washing liquid, glitter glue, baking soda, shaving foam, contact lens solution, sweets (for edible slime!!) and so on. Dd being delightful - 'thank you Mummy, other mums don't let their kids make it' hmm

We get home, dd decides she wants to make fluffy slime. Ingredients glue, shaving foam, colouring and contact lens solution.

Followed the instructions to the letter but in spite of dd kneading the bloody stuff for ages as per instructions, it was a gloopy purple mess.

Dd is now forlorn and disappointed, I've spent a fortune on ingredients and I have a bowl of gloop.

Please, please, do any of these recipes actually WORK??

ginteresting Thu 12-Oct-17 20:22:01

Does it not need borax? Whatever the hell thats is.

Dancergirl Thu 12-Oct-17 20:25:17

These all seem to be borax free recipes

LegArmpits Thu 12-Oct-17 20:27:25

That should've worked. PVA glue (have found that builders PVA doesn't work as well as pound shop stuff) mixed with a squirt of white shaving foam, then a big squirt of lens solution. It MUST have boric acid in. Otherwise won't work.

lucysmam Thu 12-Oct-17 20:27:40

I think the contact lens solution needs to contain boric acid?

VinoEsmeralda Thu 12-Oct-17 20:28:48

Place marking

Dancergirl Thu 12-Oct-17 20:33:09

Just checked contact lens solution, no boric acid. Whole load of other chemicals though - could it be called anything else??

Horispondle Thu 12-Oct-17 20:35:57

You definitely need borax. It may be boratic acid or something like that on the ingredients list of the contract lens solution, usually a low %. You need quite a bit of it.

Dancergirl Fri 13-Oct-17 13:15:33

Thanks.

I've now ordered borax from Ebay, hopefully we'll have better results smile

crumbsinthecutlerydrawer Fri 13-Oct-17 13:18:32

I made one with fybogel and water then microwaved it. Can’t remember the quantities but found it on Pinterest. It worked pretty well but my kids are not interested in slime so I was left to play with it.

Gohackyourself Fri 13-Oct-17 13:52:00

No need to order from internet- go to any store, Tesco etc buy eye brightener drops (they all contain boric acid) it's not contact lens soloution.
I bought my eye brighter drops from savers shop and worked brilliantly at weekend.

Also add plenty of shaving foam as you create .

Mrsfloss Fri 13-Oct-17 15:00:37

How many eye drops?

Gohackyourself Fri 13-Oct-17 15:34:41

Well the bottles from savers were only small bottles so we used 3/4 for one bowl of slime

Gohackyourself Fri 13-Oct-17 15:35:33

I would say pile it all in bowl and just keep adding a squirt of each one till you get your consistency

lucysmam Fri 20-Oct-17 11:56:57

My slime experiments are not going well sad

Dd1 said shaving foam makes it fluffy, so I've been trying to make fluffy slime. No bloody luck with it <sigh>

JonSnowsWife Fri 20-Oct-17 12:00:30

There was a thread on here the other day bu another MNee who suggested conditioner & cornflour.

Also done lots of different recipes and the only success we have had is turning the kitchen into such a bloody mess! grin

JonSnowsWife Fri 20-Oct-17 12:03:12

@Dancergirl here:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/3060514-I-have-a-foolproof-slime-ish-recipe

lucysmam Fri 20-Oct-17 12:04:29

I'm reasonably certain that when I present my Guides with a bag of ingredients on Tuesday, they will whip it up no problems! One was playing with slime made with the same ingredients this week confused

I'll have one last try over the weekend then give up!

Imabanana Fri 20-Oct-17 12:05:09

Yes it's the contact lens solution that's letting you done . Needs boric acid which of course is more expensive.

lucysmam Fri 20-Oct-17 12:11:16

I bought borax.

I think it more than likely is the borax/water ratio that's not working though. It was easier to order it (I thought) because I can't get into town until tomorrow.

We'll go and carefully read bottles in Savers and Home Bargains grin

Gohackyourself Fri 20-Oct-17 12:21:15

Deffo is eye brighter not contact lens soloution - just start with good base layer of shave foam and add brighter- then glue on top and mix mix mix - takes a while-

Gohackyourself Fri 20-Oct-17 12:21:53

Oops brightner drops !

Teaformeplease Fri 20-Oct-17 12:25:05

Be careful it you're using borax (not the diluted stuff in contact lens solution). It's very irritant and shouldn't come into contact with skin.

Teaformeplease Fri 20-Oct-17 12:26:56

www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/may/01/global-slime-craze-sparks-safety-warnings-after-borax-blamed-for-burns

lucysmam Fri 20-Oct-17 12:39:13

I have gloves Tea smile They're the only thing I did already have. Trial running without success has cost me a small fortune.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now