Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Sore Throat and Drooling! How can I get rid of this overnight?

(111 Posts)
NettleElf Thu 12-Oct-17 19:52:50

I've had a pretty nasty cold since last Saturday, common symptoms; snotty/blocked nose, cough, headache and a slight sore throat. Plus shivers and cold sweats.

But yesterday, it became hellish. My boss who makes Kim Jong Un look placid actually sent me home.

My throat has very quickly become excruciating and I cannot swallow to the point that I'm drooling. I've not been able to eat or drink anything and even though all I've done today is fed/watered/watched my toddler, I feel as though I've climbed Everest.

I've had a look at my throat and it's very red and my tonsils are slightly swollen but there's no puss. My glands are up too.

I don't think it's an infection, but I'm finding the fact that I can't swallow my saliva quite disconcerting.

Has anyone got any tips on how I can make this vile illness disappear? Preferably overnight.
I've already tried salt water, but I can't open my mouth wide enough to pour an amount in and gargle, the sore throat sprays do naff all and painkillers really aren't touching the sides.

Any help will be massively appreciated sad

JaneEyre70 Thu 12-Oct-17 19:55:04

I'd phone 111 if you are in too much pain to swallow. You can go without food but you must drink. I'd want that checking out tbh. Hope you're on the mend soon.

QueenNefertitty Thu 12-Oct-17 19:55:41

Could be quinsy. I'd call 111.

NettleElf Thu 12-Oct-17 19:58:35

Thank you both, I was thinking to call 111 but didn't know if they would of thought 'sore throat?! don't be ridiculous'
It'll have to wait until the morning now. Single parent and no one to watch DD.

Crispsheets Thu 12-Oct-17 20:00:41

I hate to tell you bit I had this 3 weeks ago. Couldn't swallow, had to spit out saliva, shocking cough....got antibiotics and spent 5 days in bed unable to move.
I have never had a sick day in 13 years.
My coygh is just about going but I have never felt so poorly. Plus I'm on my own so that made it even worse. No one to even get me a drink.

BoreOfWhabylon Thu 12-Oct-17 20:00:50

If you can't even swallow saliva it is very serious. Call111 or get someone to take you to A&E now.

This cannot wait.

(DOI: am Triage Nurse Consultant)

NettleElf Thu 12-Oct-17 20:02:47

Oh Crisp, that sounds awful. Glad to hear you're on the mend now flowers

Crispsheets Thu 12-Oct-17 20:02:57

I begged my Dr to see me. I actually thought I was going to die in the night.
I know that sounds dramatic...im 57 ffs...but it was awful. Hope you feel better op.

NettleElf Thu 12-Oct-17 20:03:38

Bore, I'm worried now. I thought that if there was no puss on my tonsils they would just turn me away, due to it being viral.

I'll see if I can get someone to watch DD, thank you.

pregnantgrump Thu 12-Oct-17 20:04:28

Doctor here. Second A&E. if you can't swallow saliva you can't maintain adequate hydration and dehydration is a real risk.

pregnantgrump Thu 12-Oct-17 20:05:03

Because if you can't swallow saliva you can't swallow fluids either.

Crispsheets Thu 12-Oct-17 20:08:22

I didn't realise not being able to swallowing saliva was so bad. No wonder i felt shit. I don't think 1 drank for 2 days

BoreOfWhabylon Thu 12-Oct-17 20:08:22

Really, NettleElf one of the things that means sore throat/tonsillitis can't wait until next day is being unable to swallow.

It's not always super-serious but you must be examined, because it could be (a bit like chest pain in that we have to assume it's a heart attack until proved otherwise)

NettleElf Thu 12-Oct-17 20:08:25

Pregnant, I can't swallow anything. I tried sips of water earlier and it was so painful I was nearly in tears, but my throat simply wouldn't let the water go down. It was very odd.

Thank you.

NettleElf Thu 12-Oct-17 20:11:01

Bore, I see what you mean. Now 2 medical professionals have advised A&E I feel a bit less over dramatic.
I hate the thought of wasting their time/resources.

I'll definitely try and get seen tonight.
Thank you.

BoreOfWhabylon Thu 12-Oct-17 20:17:09

We worry that being unable to swallow could be due to severe swelling inside the throat (eg quinsy or another much rarer condition called epiglottitis).

If the swelling continues to get worse then it can sometimes block the airway. So best get it looked at before that happens.

Hopefully, it s nothing more than a severe sore throat but, as has alreday been said, if you can't swallow anything at all then dehydration will follow fairly quickly, especially if you're running a fever.

BoreOfWhabylon Thu 12-Oct-17 20:18:21

flowers

NettleElf Thu 12-Oct-17 20:22:35

I don't want to Google, but they both sound awful.

I've always suffered with my throats, but it's never been this bad before. I'm starting to realise that actually this could be quite dangerous.
Thank you for help, Bore.

Rikalaily Thu 12-Oct-17 20:22:58

Ds had these symptoms and it was epiglottitis. Definitely needs seeing to urgently if you can't swallow saliva

BoreOfWhabylon Thu 12-Oct-17 20:26:29

Epiglottitis is pretty rare in adults but is one of the things that must be considered and hopefully ruled out.

NettleElf Thu 12-Oct-17 20:27:20

Rik, did you take him to A&E? Can I ask what the treatment was like? Is it antibiotics to take home. I'm worried about childcare for my DD if they want to keep me in.

NettleElf Thu 12-Oct-17 20:29:02

That's reassuring, Bore. I'm quite anxious now.

BoreOfWhabylon Thu 12-Oct-17 20:31:48

NettleElf cross one bridge at a time. Get seen and diagnosed first. Take DD with you if necessary. DO NOT TRY TO DRIVE TO A&E. Get someone to drive you.

BoreOfWhabylon Thu 12-Oct-17 20:33:47

Oh Nettle I don't want to frighten you but I don't want you to put this off until tomorrow to get examined, so that if it is serious the right treatment can be started quickly.

confusednorthner Thu 12-Oct-17 20:37:32

Oh you have my sympathies as I had this 3 weeks ago,gp who I've never rated took one look and actually winced. He immediately signed me off for a week and sent me away with codine, 2 weeks of double dose of penicillin and strict instructions to go to bed. I was in tears trying to swallow water , had tonsillitis in past but never like this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now