Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Driving test tips and success stories wanted.

(369 Posts)
justme93 Wed 11-Oct-17 17:01:02

I have my driving test in a couple of weeks.. it's fast approaching and I'm starting to feel the nerves kick in..! What did you do to remain calm and get that oh so wanted pass certificate 🌟

Draylon Wed 11-Oct-17 18:08:10

The advice given to my DS was to pretend you were taking a friend for a drive. He said it helped (and he passed first time!)

justme93 Thu 12-Oct-17 06:19:53

That's a good idea actually.. intend to talk as I drive about what to watch for and limit signs etc 🤦‍♀️ in just hoping they see that as a positive!!

wren23091 Thu 12-Oct-17 06:32:33

I came on to suggest self-narration as you go! Pretty sure it saved my bacon on mine (I passed first time)

user1467976192 Thu 12-Oct-17 06:38:39

Also have mine in 2 weeks good luck

user1467976192 Thu 12-Oct-17 06:39:36

Also have mine in 2 weeks good luck

littlemonkeyfound Thu 12-Oct-17 06:40:50

I have mine soon. I started my own thread but no one has responded sad so I will watch this one with interest. Im trying to stay calm but every so often I get into a panic. Then I remind myself it’s only driving and there will be other chances if I fail. Best of luck op smile

HoneyWheeler Thu 12-Oct-17 06:58:02

When you’re trying to find the biting point, look in the rear view mirror and you’ll see the back of the car drop slightly. If you do that you’ll never stall!

HoneyWheeler Thu 12-Oct-17 06:59:16

Also: I couldn’t for the life of me remember her instructions for the independent drive. So just keep asking for reminders! I was in an unfamiliar area, so a bit out of my comfort zone but you can ask them to repeat the instructions a million times!

bananafanana1 Thu 12-Oct-17 07:14:26

I booked my test in an unfamiliar area, it meant I was more conscious of my surroundings and passed! Good luck

justme93 Thu 12-Oct-17 07:20:15

I'm having 2 hours twice a week and driving automatic.. I doubt I'd got very far with actual gears 😆 this will be my very first test and if I fail it's fine as I'm just going to keep on until I pass. I'm feeling confident but do have hit miss issues with roundabouts!!!

Polter Thu 12-Oct-17 07:21:14

I assumed I'd fail and treated it like a practice test. When he told me I'd passed I burst out with 'you must be joking!' as I was a bit surprised.

justme93 Thu 12-Oct-17 07:22:18

There is quite a lot riding on this.. hubby work abroad and one of my sons does have mobility issues and it really would make our lives so so much easier. I keep telling myself that, the car is ready and waiting for me to which is a big motivation 💪

Polter Thu 12-Oct-17 07:23:16

Good luck to those of you with tests coming up, remember that you don't have to be perfect on the test, it's more about being safe to drive on your own, so if you get in a pickle stay calm and sort it out safely.

justme93 Thu 12-Oct-17 07:27:54

Maybe we can all support each other through to test day..!

Foxyloxy1plus1 Thu 12-Oct-17 08:11:57

Simple idea, but it really does work. As well as the driving tips, take some deep, slow breaths just before. It is calming!

HereBeFuckery Thu 12-Oct-17 09:41:47

One niche tip: if they give you an instruction you can't safely follow in the Independent Driving bit, say you can't, don't do what I did, and slow down to 20 in a 50 zone to try and get into the right hand lane in busy traffic. I'd have passed if I'd said 'it's not safe to change lanes, what should I do?'

Good luck!

TeenTimesTwo Thu 12-Oct-17 09:59:09

We told DD that although she could in theory pass, we knew the test was a bit early and a bit of a punt. The idea was to take the pressure off.
It seemed to work as she passed first time!

Good luck.

Tentomidnight Thu 12-Oct-17 10:09:00

Talk yourself through it in your head as you go, tell yourself to 'just do this bit' and stay in the moment rather than thinking about it being a test.
Take your driving instructor out on your test (knowing mine was in the back gave me a level of familiarity and support which helped).
Assume you will need to do at least a couple of tests.
Wear comfortable clothes, nothing itchy or tight.
don't accidentally drive in a bus lane

Mulch Thu 12-Oct-17 10:11:26

May seem defeatist but accept failing is a possibility and in the grand scheme the worst possible thing is that I have to retake. Helps you relax to think thats the absolute worst that could happen

KikisDeliveryService Thu 12-Oct-17 10:13:45

I couldn't remember the name of something in the engine so I just named everything else instead! I re-started one of my manouevres (sp?) when I didn't feel it was going right and that was fine.

Stay calm and don't panic. You can always re-take the test so it's not the be all and end all on the day if things go wrong, most people don't pass first time.

reek Thu 12-Oct-17 10:20:08

I passed second time. First time the examiner was a massive arsehole and a total oddball and he failed me on a ridiculous thing. Second time I took Bachs Rescue Remedy... no idea if it helped. I left the handbrake on for the first 10 minutes blush drove in torrential rain and along unfamiliar routes, still passed though. I knew I was a good driver, I was absolutely fine in my lessons, but I was completely shaking during my test. Just really take your time, don't rush the manoeuvre, breathe, it's all done and dusted in 30-40 minutes, less time than a lesson.

WinkyisbackontheButterBeer Thu 12-Oct-17 10:27:31

I didn't tell anyone I was doing it. Just that I had a lesson. There was no pressure from anyone else and I didn't have to explain if I'd failed.
I was really calm and passed first time. I think the reduced pressure was a big part of it.
Good luck

Findmysocks Thu 12-Oct-17 10:57:34

I've got my test in a few weeks too. Nervous about going the wrong way. Did it last night on my mock test but my instructor said it was fine as long as done safely. Roundabouts also make me nervous!

These tips are reassuring me too!

Good luck with your test when it comes!

justme93 Thu 12-Oct-17 12:05:38

I'm not telling anyone other than hubby when my test is.. that way it keeps the pressure off a little! We are constantly doing the routes around the test centre and endless roundabouts!! What will be will be.. I won't give up until I'm officially driving. Would be nice to pass first time but I'm not going to put too much pressure on myself. Just had another 2 hr Lesson 💪

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now