Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How long before it's acceptable to go to GP about a cough?

(23 Posts)
rosettesforjill Mon 09-Oct-17 23:25:00

I’ve had a horrendous cough for two weeks now which doesn’t seem to be improving. No other symptoms. I stupidly (I now realise) ran a long-trained-for half marathon yesterday and it’s been worse today than it has been for ages.

I haven’t had an unbroken night’s sleep since it started and I’m now lying crying in bed like a child because I know it’s going to be another shitty night when I’m hacking into my pillow until my body finally gets too exhausted to continue sad

I suspect the doctor is just going to say I need to let it heal itself and I don’t want to take up a precious appointment if that’s the case - or will she be able to help?

I’m feeling so fucking miserable sad

fridayfreddo Mon 09-Oct-17 23:26:35

I'd say after 2 weeks you're justified in going to the GP with a cough.

GreenTulips Mon 09-Oct-17 23:27:33

There's a lot of this cough about its been in the news

They will give you steroids etc to help - please see a doctor

Skittlesandbeer Mon 09-Oct-17 23:42:13

A good gp won't roll their eyes if you go. They've seen too many cases where obvious symptoms have been ignored to a patient's serious detriment.

Also I've found that I regularly incorporate a bad cough or cold into my life until it seems normal. I recognize now that this tendency is actually part of the illness. I'm too tired, weak, to properly judge it and I let it go too long.

Methinks when you find yourself crying in bed, that might be a good line in the sand for you.

Between now and your appointment find someone to shamelessly molly-coddle you a bit, and hold off on exercising. You're actively preventing your body from fixing itself by asking so much of it.

Feel better soon.

Wolfiefan Mon 09-Oct-17 23:43:36

Isn't the NHS advice three weeks?

JustPutSomeGlitterOnIt Mon 09-Oct-17 23:48:04

I think it's two weeks

Wolfiefan Mon 09-Oct-17 23:51:07

No. Just checked. Three.

LittleBirdBlues Mon 09-Oct-17 23:51:33

Just go in and have your organs checked out. Two weeks really is long enough and it sounds like it's really impacting your life.

I get coughs a lot so I feel your pain! My last bout lasted 3 months before I was given some Steroids. All clear for 2 months now. Good luck!

rosettesforjill Mon 09-Oct-17 23:51:57

Thank you for the sympathy - I’ve just checked nhs advice and it’s three weeks but given I’m unlikely to get an appointment for a few days I might book one in then cancel if it goes. And I might take the day off work tomorrow as I think I haven’t slowed down enough to let myself heal

JustPutSomeGlitterOnIt Mon 09-Oct-17 23:54:02

Oh. Three.

Yeah defo book now. Where we are, by the time your appointment's come round, you've either got better or died.

Wolfiefan Mon 09-Oct-17 23:55:24

If you've run a half marathon surely it's not all that bad?! Check the NHS website. They are quite specific about what symptoms you should seek advice about regarding coughs.

Bobbiepin Mon 09-Oct-17 23:57:48

Are you asthmatic? Or is there a chance your training could have irritated something underlying? No harm making an appointment and cancelling if you don't need it. If you are bringing up phlegm or have a fever its definitely worth going in. Hope you feel better soon flowers

LostInMess Mon 09-Oct-17 23:57:52

I'd go now. It's not 'just a cough' if it's having that big an impact on your sleep and day-to-day life.

I had a nasty cough a few years back which developed into pleurisy- treatable with paracetamol and nurofen but it was very painful while it lasted and I'd have been stuck looking after my children had it not hit over Christmas when my DH was off.

Yours doesn't sound as if it will go away on its own. But do take it easy while awaiting your appointment.

rosettesforjill Tue 10-Oct-17 00:05:43

Wolfie I agree but I think the effort has really exacerbated - it was nearly making me sick today I was coughing so much! I know I was stupid to do it. I felt totally destroyed after it which I thought was normal but given how I’m now feeling I suspect it wasn’t. Probably hasn’t helped that I’ve been running around all day today helping out at a conference

I’ve made DH come to bed for non sexual cuddling purposes so am going to see if that helps!

Wolfiefan Tue 10-Oct-17 00:13:20

But when you've done all the training it seems so awful to back out. sad
Rest now.
Recuperate.
Hope you're well soon.

rosettesforjill Wed 18-Oct-17 13:34:11

Thanks again for everyone’s help, sympathy and gentle chiding for taking part in stupidly strenuous exercise. I left it the recommended three weeks and finally went to the GP this morning, who suspects a chest infection and has prescribed a course of antibiotics. Fingers crossed it helps...

Wolfiefan Wed 18-Oct-17 13:41:11

I hope it does. And soon. Take care OP.

Bobbiepin Wed 18-Oct-17 15:55:37

Hope they help & you feel better soon. Give the running a rest until you're back to full health.

Ifonlyiweretaller Wed 18-Oct-17 16:53:31

I've had my cough over 3 weeks now. No other symptoms, just a dry and very irritating. My mum insisted I contacted the doctor (I'm in my fifties!!) and a doctor honed to discuss symptoms. As a non smoker and not being asthmatic she suggested that i give it another week or so (as it's definitely nowhere near as bad as it was) and if its not gone she will book me in for a chest xray. I'm quite happy with her opinion.

Groovee Wed 18-Oct-17 17:00:35

I would go and get seen x

Parmesanity Wed 18-Oct-17 17:12:59

Please get coughs and associated things like a temp, fever and sickness checked out asap by your GP, there are definitely some nasty strains going around. Hope you're feeling better soon OP!

A few weeks ago I left things a bit too long (thought it was flu) and ended up in hospital for 5 days with pneumonia shock. Still signed off 6 weeks later though feeling MUCH better. No previous history or chest issues, not even a particularly bad cough despite one lung being completely infected.

rosettesforjill Wed 18-Oct-17 18:09:13

Thanks - GP has said to go back if the antibiotics have no effect over the next 48 hours so I’m hoping something happens! And I have been off all exercise since my stupid half marathon, so am slowly getting fat sitting on my bum at home wink

Parmesanity Thu 19-Oct-17 08:52:23

I started two types of anti biotics from the GP but quickly deteriorated and a chest xray saw me immediately admitted to hospital. Some really nasty stuff lurking around!

Re exercise, I'm now just walking a mile or so every day, but am usually at gym classes 3 x week so am feeling a bit frustrated. Trying to be patient..!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now