Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Made a blanket for class toy - would you hate me for it?

(85 Posts)
ZingDramaQueenOfSheeba Tue 26-Sep-17 22:56:26

My 5 yo DD came home on Friday with the class toy (a monkey called Bananas) and even before getting home she asked me if I could crochet a blanket for him.
So he won't be cold.
She's such a kind girl and I make a fair amount of stuff for other people so I thought why the heck not?
It will make my DD so happy.
I actually happened to have the time and suffer from insomnia and usually up until 2 or 3am anywsy, so I said yes and made one overnight.

She was beside herself, dragged the damn monkey and the blanket everywhere all day.
So I was very pleased that I said yes and posted about this on a crochet group page.
1st person's reply was: "nice blanket - you know that all the patents will hate you now lol"
😢
I tried to brush it off but it's been bothering me ever since.

DD is my 6th child so not the first class toy rodeo. We normally get the wretched thing on the last few weeks after it's been to an underwater wedding and a trek to the Moon and I couldn't give a shit about the competitivness of it all so we just take photos of chilling in the garden, playing on the trampoline or colouring books, utterly low keys stuff.

I promise you, when making this blanket competing and one upmanship didn't even enter my mind, I just wanted DD to be happy. For once it's nice that I could actually incorporate a meaningful thing - not for me though!

DD actually fell ill on Sat night so going to school tomorrow she'll be taking back monkey with the blanket and I know she will be so happy and proud but I feel dreadful at the thought of anyone thinking this was some attempt at outdoing others.
Honestly I could cry.
Such an innocent , loving gesture from my DD so monkey won't be cold - I so worry it will turn sour or ugly and I will regret doing it.
(Oh, I also suffer from anxiety, which is not helping at all)

I'm rambling. Sorry. It just really rattled me, the very idea that I'd be hated for doing a nice thing to please my own child. I feel quite upset.

Fekko Tue 26-Sep-17 22:57:53

Nope. I only mildly disliked the stuffed badger who went to NY for the weekend.

ZingDramaQueenOfSheeba Tue 26-Sep-17 22:58:12

*all the parents
Not patents.
Urgh

Alittlepotofrosie Tue 26-Sep-17 23:00:31

You are massively overthinking this. In the nicest possible way: get a grip.

NachoAddict Tue 26-Sep-17 23:00:36

I wouldnt hate you for it at all. At least you didnt take it traveling the bush over the summer holidays with a balloon ride actosd the savanah.

MrGrumpy01 Tue 26-Sep-17 23:02:40

I would sort of presume it always came with the class teddy, and pop it back in the bag as I know it would just get lost in my house.

FreakinScaryCaaw Tue 26-Sep-17 23:02:47

One more thing to lose perhaps? Is that what crochet friend meant?

NoSquirrels Tue 26-Sep-17 23:02:47

Nope, you'll be fine. I mean, obviously don't write anything in the diary about lovingly hand stitching the treasured blanket etc grin

Seriously, our class teddy got pumped with all sorts of stuff - new clothes, sleeping bags. He had a bloody rucksack in the end he carried so much shite around with him!

user1487372252 Tue 26-Sep-17 23:04:51

I think maybe the person was just being funny, not meaning to be hurtful.

I really doubt anyone would be upset you did this. You should just be pleased your wee girl enjoyed it so much.

WorraLiberty Tue 26-Sep-17 23:05:32

Oh dear lordy, over thinking this doesn't even begin to describe this situation grin

No-one cares OP. I can honestly tell you that without ever meeting Bananas or any of the class parents.

He does sound cute though. I can imagine him snuggled up in his blankee grin

user1487372252 Tue 26-Sep-17 23:05:41

I wondered that too frankie.

Toddlerteaplease Tue 26-Sep-17 23:05:57

One of our patients brought in the class bear to hospital when she broke her arm. He went back to school with a bandage, oxygen mask and a cannula (needle removed) in his paw.

user1487372252 Tue 26-Sep-17 23:06:27

*freakin 😂

ZingDramaQueenOfSheeba Tue 26-Sep-17 23:07:23

Thanks for the grip!😂

Overthinking - that's me. It's always worse i the evenings when kids are in bed, I'm exhausted but wide awake coz my brain is just churning away....urgh. hate this

ZingDramaQueenOfSheeba Tue 26-Sep-17 23:08:16

Just for you Worra

Bababing1 Tue 26-Sep-17 23:10:40

It's lovely!
First bear we had came with nothing. Second one had a rucksack with clothes, hat (lots handknitted), washbag (toothbrush, paste, flannel, mirror), box of shells, notebook, lots of things. That second bear with his bag caused soooo much excitement and role play.
Your lovely blanket will expand all future play for the bear

FreakinScaryCaaw Tue 26-Sep-17 23:12:17

Gorgeous blanket. Suits him smile

ZingDramaQueenOfSheeba Tue 26-Sep-17 23:15:25

Bababing1

Thank you! That's made me feel so much better!

FreakinScaryCaaw Tue 26-Sep-17 23:23:03

Have you tried nytol? I use it when I'm on nights to help my sleep at home. Works for me.

PotteringAlong Tue 26-Sep-17 23:24:35

Lovely blanket, one heck of a class monkey grin

Bloodybridget Tue 26-Sep-17 23:25:45

That is one gorgeous blanket!

PotteringAlong Tue 26-Sep-17 23:26:00

Add a note about how every time the monkey goes home they should add to the blanket to make a class blanket. THEN they will hate you grin

WorraLiberty Tue 26-Sep-17 23:27:57

OMG now that's a cuteness overload!! shock grin

I actually NEED this monkey now, complete with lovely blanket!!

Callmegeoff Tue 26-Sep-17 23:36:45

Lovely blanket, I've just had flash backs to when my 2 had the class bear. Dd1 took him to legoland -he stayed in the car in case we lost him. Dd2 had hers when I'd gone away for a week leaving Dh in charge. The Sunday I got back she still had this flipping diary to fill in. So what did he do I ask? Nothing she replied - mostly just layed on his back In the playroom. grin

Ttbb Tue 26-Sep-17 23:44:32

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now