Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Police turning up at my door for a missed call

(20 Posts)
EachandEveryone Tue 26-Sep-17 21:20:46

Its really unnerved me. Three of them with all the gear on so im assuming not those community police. I live in a shared flat with someone whos new bloke is forever smoking weed although he hasnt been here all week. Ive told them its not on.

Anyway they seemed nice enough they wanted to know my phone number. They said someone had made a call to them and put the phone down nd the phone is registered to my flat. Its not my flatmates number. Ive rented here for 15 years and they didnt give me the full number.

For some reason its worrying me should it?

Ps is if weed smoking cocklodger had been here the smell wouldve come right down the stairs can someone tell me what wouldve happened then so i have more reason to say he really cant be smoking in this no smoking flat.

WorraLiberty Tue 26-Sep-17 21:23:22

Nothing would have happened about him smoking a joint in the privacy of his own home.

I wonder how a 999 call was made from your flat then? Or why they think it was, if it wasn't?

That really is odd but I wouldn't get annoyed. Just imagine if you really were in trouble.

cazzyg Tue 26-Sep-17 21:25:59

It's normal - DD once managed to dial 999 and put the phone down.

The police came round and left a note asking us to get in touch.

Becca19962014 Tue 26-Sep-17 21:26:55

Most likely it's an ex tenent who's forgotten to change their address with their mobile provider (which could be before you moved in, or the wrong flat number was given) which is why they came round - which was purely due to concern for the safety of the caller.

Becca19962014 Tue 26-Sep-17 21:27:40

*tenant.

I can spell honest!

scaryclown Tue 26-Sep-17 21:28:48

This has happened to me with the direct local code number for the police. They come in case you are in a situation or condition where you can't speak..

scaryclown Tue 26-Sep-17 21:29:26

And true.. Mine was on my mobile..

EachandEveryone Tue 26-Sep-17 21:34:35

Well im always complaining about the drunks fighting and walking in the middle of the road but would never ring the emergemcy number.

I dont think i ever said annoyed just unnerved, the police knocing on your door would do that i suppose

A1Sharon Tue 26-Sep-17 21:35:22

Years ago, one wild, wet,winter Sunday morning, I was playing WII with my two early risers. Suddenly the door bell goes.
Couple of police cars, and a gaggle of police folk on my doorstep wanting to know if everything is alright.
Me=confused Well, obviously not ideal to be up playing WII on a Sunday am, but that's parenthood!
Apparently they had a 'dropped call', someone dialled 999 and hung up.
No one had been near the phone.
I felt awful, such a miserable wet day, but they were pleasantness itself, please don't worry etc. Wouldn't even take the last of the Christmas biscuits I tried to give them!
It does happen, I'm sure it's nothing.

WorraLiberty Tue 26-Sep-17 21:37:24

Sorry, I read unnerved as annoyed blush

Notevilstepmother Tue 26-Sep-17 21:41:30

They are just checking you are ok. It's probably what a pp said about a mobile from a previous occupant.

Don't worry about it, be pleased that we have such lovely amazing emergency services in this country.

Imagine if you'd dialled 999 and then collapsed before you could speak, that's why they come out to any dropped 999 calls.

Nofunkingworriesmate Tue 26-Sep-17 21:51:59

Isn't it reassuring that police turn up woried you could be in danger?
By the way police always do this. Lots of women in danger ring " for a taxi/ pizza" or ring and get cut off
The police will attend, so not to waste their time keep phones locked away from kids and give the officers a cup of tea!

EachandEveryone Tue 26-Sep-17 21:55:48

Oh they didnt want to stay i did invite them up. They probably knew id keep them for hours with my list of jobs for them. Theres so msny shenanigans going on down the back of my flats.

AliceLutherNeeMorgan Tue 26-Sep-17 21:58:48

Yes! It nearly happened to us when DD was small and dialled 999 from my husband's mobile. He cut off the call without realising they would have his number and turned his phone off. Luckily he turned it back on a few minutes later for something and there were two texts from the local police asking him to ring a non-emergency number to let them know he was ok. No one was cross about; they said it happens a lot and they have to check

eurochick Wed 27-Sep-17 06:43:30

I'd be hugely bothered about the cocklodger smoking weed in a non smoking flat. That's likely to cost you your deposit for deep cleaning.

EachandEveryone Wed 27-Sep-17 08:32:24

No it's none smoking because I've made it that way I gave up nine months sgo

MagentaRocks Wed 27-Sep-17 08:50:23

The police dont always do this. Ringing 999 and hanging up doesn't mean you will even be connected to the police. Even when you are the is no guarantee they will attend. Of cours if you ring and ask for a taxi or whatever they should twig pretty quickly but the silent calls are different. You will be prompted to make a noise etc. If you do then you will be put through to the police who will attempt to find out who you are. If it is totally silent then chances are it won't get through to police. Although if there are a lot of calls from the same number in a short period it will be put through.

ArcheryAnnie Wed 27-Sep-17 09:12:10

Sort out the cocklodger who is smoking weed in your non-smoking flat. That could, if you got unlucky, cost you your tenancy. (And could get you into even more serious trouble if he leaves supplies at your flat.)

Just say "it's a no-smoking flat" if he lights up. Repeat ad nauseum.

ArcheryAnnie Wed 27-Sep-17 09:13:32

Ah, just seen the post about it being no-smoking because you made it that way.

Still pretty reasonable not to want someone else's illegal drugs - even weed - in your own home.

Was your housemate already there 9 months ago?

allegretto Wed 27-Sep-17 09:15:30

Our cat called 999 once and my mum hung up. Nobody came round.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now