Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What shall I buy from Iceland?

(29 Posts)
georgedawes Tue 26-Sep-17 19:28:13

I think I started a similar thread a while ago but I didn't have another freezer then so couldn't go out and buy all the suggestions. Have just invested in a second freezer now though and am about to do my first iceland shop. Please send your recommendations! Also, are there any products that are cheaper/better value than Aldi?

Thanks!

formerbabe Tue 26-Sep-17 19:50:43

I have been pleasantly surprised by Iceland food. I like the skin on chips, sweet potato fries, moussaka, creme brulee and chocolate fondants.

SleepFreeZone Tue 26-Sep-17 19:51:51

Their frozen steak burgers are the best we've bought, same with their bacon.

EdmundCleverClogs Tue 26-Sep-17 19:52:46

Duck spring rolls! Also one of their 'roast in a tin' selections, they've made easy meals some nights.

EdmundCleverClogs Tue 26-Sep-17 19:53:58

Oh and their Millionaires Cheese cake, I could eat a whole one myself....

Titsywoo Tue 26-Sep-17 19:53:59

They have vienetta on sticks!

Greggs steak bakes are good too.

cowgirlsareforever Tue 26-Sep-17 19:54:23

Scallops. They are amazing when added to a fish pie.

PurpleDaisies Tue 26-Sep-17 19:54:45

Mozzarella sticks

Sweet potato fries

mumofone234 Tue 26-Sep-17 19:55:34

Their sun dried tomato quiche is to die for! Not sure if that's a frozen thing though.

NaiceToMeetYou Tue 26-Sep-17 19:56:53

King prawn linguine. Delicious.

RavingRoo Tue 26-Sep-17 19:59:50

Nacho burgers

MrGrumpy01 Tue 26-Sep-17 20:07:15

I wasn't overly impressed with the Millie's cookies. We will just have to put up with our once a year visit to a proper shop.

lydiangel83 Tue 26-Sep-17 20:28:16

Where did u get your freezer from we are looking for a new one. Doesn't need to be massive as don't want to spend loads

georgedawes Tue 26-Sep-17 20:31:59

These are all making me hungry!! Thank you. Especially liking the sound of vienetta on sticks!

Lydia - the freezer was just on a local second hand FB page, so not much help unfortunately. It is a BEKO one though which are one of the ones Which? recently said were on their list of manufacturers who use a metal back, as those with plastic ones have been implicated in some fires.

kathhere Tue 26-Sep-17 20:38:24

Ostrich steaks were half price today, so got some of those. I also like their quinoa mixed veg stuff which makes me feel healthy!

SequinsOnEverything Tue 26-Sep-17 20:54:29

Carrot fries!

5rivers7hills Tue 26-Sep-17 21:05:32

The frozen veg is really good and so is the fish.

MyYoniFromHull Tue 26-Sep-17 21:08:27

All this healthy stuff shock

Greggs frozen sausage rolls. Potato crunchies with bacon. I usually end up with milky way rolls and Hungry Hippos from the end of the aisle too

OutandIntoday Tue 26-Sep-17 21:13:48

Frozen mashed potatoes
Quinoa with beans mix
Extra mature cheddar
Free range eggs
Breaded haddock
Sweet potato wedges/ chips
Purple potato chips
Frozen sweetcorn

LondonLassInTheCountry Tue 26-Sep-17 21:14:53

Chorizo burgers
Lamb burgers
Thick finest chips

gaggiagirl Tue 26-Sep-17 21:17:12

Those triple cooked beef dripping chips. They are SO good.
Stone baked pizzas.
Sweet potato fries.
Greggs. All of the greggs.

LondonLassInTheCountry Tue 26-Sep-17 21:20:04

Meal in a bag are good

Chicken and prawn paella

Chicken and bacon pasta

Chicken fajita stirfry

King prawn chilli stirfry

Chicken Teriyaki Stir Fry

Bubble & Squeak with Chicken

All only £2 are full meals and very quick to cook

ImTakingTheEssence Tue 26-Sep-17 21:26:11

I only go in for the pepporoni pizza with the jaleponos on. They used to a nice garlic chicken one that i cant find for love nor money. Ooh and curry greggs pasties which i cant get either.

Jedimum1 Tue 26-Sep-17 21:29:19

We started buying in Iceland a couple of months ago and we keep being surprised by the quality. I expected it all to be low quality, but there are things that I actually prefer to any "top range" supermarket version. I am a fan of seafood and fish, I love their clams in sauce that you add to pasta / have as a broth. All their varieties. Also the £5 battered fish extra long is really good. But you can aswell do the 6 pieces Young's battered fish for a lot less. I like the mince beef and onion bag, cooks straight from freezer and has saved me in several occasions. I actually love the fact that most of it can be cooked from frozen! Not a fan of the pizza express pizzas for Iceland. I love the desserts and Millie's cookies cook from home range. A fan of the lamb steaks too. And the quarter pounder steak burgers. I basically buy the Iceland top range of own brand and still pay the same as the mediocre Sainsbury's/Tesco version, or less.

I like that you can browse/put in trolley in shop and ask them to deliver on the same day (you need to register an Iceland loyaltt card), and also that you can get an order delivered for free if you spend £20, so it's easy to do top up shops too, as they have my branded milk and bread too.

I was very sceptical and now I'm a fan!

georgedawes Tue 26-Sep-17 21:33:59

This is brilliant, thanks every one! How do you find the prices compare to Aldi etc? My Aldi shop has gone up loads recently...

How does the loyalty card work?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now