Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Has anyone been to Iceland..

(67 Posts)
what2dooooo Tue 26-Sep-17 14:50:14

Has anyone been to Iceland and would you recommend?
Thinking of booking just for 2 nights, would that be long enough?
Would really like to go to Blue Lagoon, would anyone recommend?
Thanks

Peachyking000 Tue 26-Sep-17 15:19:59

Yes, it's amazing! I recommend the Blue Lagoon - you can do it en route to the airport on your way home, but make sure you book it in advance as it gets booked up quickly.

I think you need at least 3-4 nights, as you ideally need a day for seeing the City Centre, and another for the Golden Circle tour

PoisonedIvy Tue 26-Sep-17 15:21:04

Thought there was a joke in here about why mums go to Iceland.

<Disappointed>

OrangeFluff Tue 26-Sep-17 15:27:45

Yes I have, but I agree with Peachy that you'll need at least 2 full days (or more) as there is a lot to do! Blue lagoon was great, definitely recommened.

DancesWithOtters Tue 26-Sep-17 15:33:36

We had a stopover there recently and I was absolutely gobsmacked at prices of food and public transport.

£44 for a burger, a sandwich and 2 beers.

£90 bus ticket for 40 minute journey to blue lagoon.

GrouchyKiwi Tue 26-Sep-17 15:34:46

Yes, and agree re both the Blue Lagoon and maybe needing another day.

Definitely have a good wander around Reykjavik. It's a lovely city.

We went at New Year so just stayed in the city, apart from the trip out to the lagoon.

Fintress Tue 26-Sep-17 15:39:25

Two nights is definitely not long enough. It's amazing, I've been lucky enough to spend 2 Christmas days in the Blue Lagoon which was virtually empty. It is very expensive to eat and drink as Otters mentioned. Fabulous place to visit though.

LadyInDread Tue 26-Sep-17 15:40:56

They do Greggs cook at home sausage rolls now. They're banging.

<I came in to share this and damn it I am>

The country is expensive as hell, as previous posters have said. Go with the sausage rolls, warm and cheap, unlike the country.

picklemepopcorn Tue 26-Sep-17 15:41:19

Blue lagoon is also stunningly expensive.

what2dooooo Tue 26-Sep-17 15:54:02

Thank you so much, was a bit unsure but i am now going to book for December smile

SirGawain Tue 26-Sep-17 16:03:22

I would not be inclined to book for December, the daylight length at that time of year is very short.
I agree about needing more than two days.
The Blue lagoon is nice the Golden Circle is essential.
Everything is very expensive in Iceland, it's not the Costa Brava!

SnowBallsAreHere Tue 26-Sep-17 16:05:06

Download the happy hour app for drinks offers, or remortgage.
And yes, you need more than two days

wrenika Tue 26-Sep-17 18:47:41

My mum went for a 5 day guided trip around Iceland earlier in the year. Both herself and her friend loved the trip. Mum's a geology nut so it was right up her street! (And yeah, everything is expensive!)

Brainwashed Tue 26-Sep-17 18:53:34

Very expensive but utterly fabulous! Didn't go to the blue lagoon but went to cheaper and smaller secret lagoon....though there are places you can bathe in geothermal pools for free. Would go back again.

Ishouldbedoingsomething Tue 26-Sep-17 19:00:11

We are going for a week soon

Have pre booked the blue lagoon and are doing a tour - hopefully will see some northern lights

Going to buy from duty free when we land as I have heard booze is very expensive

Fuckoffwithyourpics Tue 26-Sep-17 19:05:28

Been twice - yes eye watering expensive but also worth every single penny.

We went to the supermarkets for beer etc & bought bread & made basic sandwiches. Pizza slices weren’t too bad from a kiosk but didn’t venture in a restaurant as prices were sky high ( we were camping though - in Summer )

badbadhusky Tue 26-Sep-17 19:11:12

Everything is very expensive in Iceland, it's not the Costa Brava!

In lots of the tourist cafes (eg at Gullfoss) the price of your soup includes free refills, which we only twigged when some Americans barged in front of us for seconds. Both the lamb and salmon soups are more like stew. You can easily tank up on it & top up more cheaply elsewhere. Fast food tends to be a lot cheaper than formal restaurants. Lots of the petrol filling stations on the ring road have diners attached and Icelanders joke that pizza is their national dish because it is so ubiquitous. There is not much to be gained from self-catering because supermarket prices are 😮. Coffee, cake and soft drinks are about the same price as here (or were before sterling tanked). And don't go mad in duty free - there's a limit to how much spirits you can take in & they will hold any excess in a locker at the airport for you to pick up on your way home.

Whocansay Tue 26-Sep-17 19:29:59

We went in January and it was so beautiful. We did the Blue Lagoon on the way to Reykjavik, so we could shower back at the hotel.

I would stay in an apartment though if I went again as the food and drink was horribly expensive. That way you can cook things yourself rather than having to eat out all the time. Also, we made much use of happy hour (and took duty free booze with us).

I would also recommend the Golden Circle tour and whale watching. There are loads of museums in Reykjavik, and it's a great place to wander round. We also went snowmobiling on a glacier, which was spectacular. If you go in Summer there are tours of some of the volcanoes, but you can't do them in Winter due to the harsh weather and lack of daylight.

notacooldad Wed 27-Sep-17 11:57:04

I love Iceland. I particularly love the Highlands however the roads shut to them in September but the area is magnificent
There are alternative and cheaper lagoons to go and visit than the popular Blue Lagoon.
Are you sure about December though? You are losing a lot of your day.

With regards to food, yes restaurants can be hugely expensive but supermarkets aren't bad. The popular one, Bonus, is like an Aldi or Lidl.

Is 2 nights long enough? Depends what you are doing I guess and you are limiting yourself so much by the time of year you are going. We did a fortnight first time and it was no where near long enough.
However we travelled around the island.

Cleo22 Wed 27-Sep-17 18:23:06

I love Iceland and have been 3 times- WARNING Iceland is addictive! I used a small firm for the Golden Circle www.geoiceland.com/
They were very good and a smaller group than some of the other tour firms; they also go to extra places which the bigger firms do not. I found that the vegetarian restaurants were good value [for Iceland]

Wotrewelookinat Wed 27-Sep-17 18:32:32

We went to Iceland last year with our three preteens. Hired a car, were there for 4 nights, did a little road trip around the south west corner, stayed in Youth Hostels which were really good value and a high standard. Most of them we had to ourselves, one was a gorgeous old house, another we had an apartment all to ourselves. Self catering and making packed lunches helped with the prices. Having a car enabled us to go to less busy places. We made it as far as Vik on the south coast. We loved it, the children were awe-struck by the scenery. The Blue Lagoon is worth going to, but I wouldn't go there again.

Soupoftheday1975 Wed 27-Sep-17 18:32:54

I absolutely love Iceland. I went last year and it was fantastic. We did the blue lagoon and it was great but what I have preferred was to rent a car and drive along the coast! It was breathtaking. Picture enclosed

Wotrewelookinat Wed 27-Sep-17 18:33:38

www.hostel.is/

ArcheryAnnie Wed 27-Sep-17 18:38:44

I went and loved it. It's incredibly beautiful, and the landscape is like nothing anywhere else.

Food and drink is expensive, but when we were there, the coffee was bottomless - so you didn't pay for a single cup, but as much as you wanted.

Take a swimsuit, so you can swim in a naturally-heated swimming pool. (The water is sulphurous, so the showers will smell of egg, which is really off-putting the first day, but then you don't notice after that.)

If you are a knitter then do try to get to a wool shop for some lopi wool, which is some of the nicest wool I've ever bought.

Loopytiles Wed 27-Sep-17 18:39:41

Disliked it: alien, ugly landscape, cold, very expensive and poor food.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now