Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Shit- I've just ate loads of kidney and liver and I'm pregnant.

(7 Posts)
BatmanBanana Tue 26-Sep-17 13:48:37

It's not something I eat much of but my friend brought me some over as she makes a really nice curry from it.

Anyway my sister came over and I mentioned it to her and she freaked out saying that pregnant women can't eat.

I'm really worried now. Please tell me it'll be ok. I'm really upset. Has anyone else done this. I feel like such a fool. Friend obviously didn't know herself.

Loopytiles Tue 26-Sep-17 13:49:25

It'll be fine! Don't worry about it.

Threenme Tue 26-Sep-17 13:52:05

I've never particularly looked at what you can and can't eat tbh you'd drive yourself mad! I think don't drink, don't smoke, don't do drugs (don't do drugs anyway)! I think you do this and you're fine!

KarateKitten Tue 26-Sep-17 13:52:12

Don't even give it a second thought.

TwatteryFlowers Tue 26-Sep-17 13:55:43

I'm sure you'll be fine but if you are really worried then ask your midwife. She'll be able to check you over and give you some reassurance.

There is a huge list of things that a pregnant woman can't eat. If you followed all the advice to the letter you'd eat, drink and do nothing for the whole 40 weeks.

NoParticularPattern Tue 26-Sep-17 13:57:01

Well on account of the fact that there’s nothing you can do about it now I shouldn’t worry. It’s supposedly to do with the levels of animal based vitamin A in offal that can cause problems, but I also think you won’t do any harm so long as you're not eating tonnes of it every single day. Once won’t hurt- or I hope not since I had lovely pate last night!!

Bluerose27 Tue 26-Sep-17 14:01:37

Do your research and don't let people freak you out with their uninformed ideas.

That sounds extremely harsh. I don't mean it to be flowers sorry! But you'll worry yourself sick if you listen to every old wives tale.

I recommend "Expecting Better" by Emily Oster. She is a statistician I think who has read the research, analysed the numbers, assessed the actual risk of various old wives tales/ actual research and presents the reasons behind certain contra indications in pregnancy.
For example, deli meats are contra indicated in America due to potential listeria infection. However, the last deli meat/listeria outbreak was in 2005. Since then there's been listeria outbreaks due to sprouts (2008) celery (2010) and cantaloupe melons (2011).

Yet pregnant women in America are avoiding deli meat but not the other items due to misinformation/lack of knowledge/lack of understanding of the actual numerical risks involved. Eg Emily states avoiding ham sandwiches would have dropped her listeria risk from 1 in 8333 to 1 in 8255.

From chapter 6 in the book - I'm on my Kindle so can't give a page reference

I read the book and now when people say "you should xyz" or "you shouldn't xyz" I myself know that they are right/wrong/overly cautious which is fine and I don't let it concern me.

Apologies for the long lecture

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now