Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

1in 12 boys & 1 in 200 girls

(29 Posts)
EastMidsGPs Tue 26-Sep-17 08:09:07

Worldwide have some degree of colour blindness.

This month is colourblindness awareness month.
It runs through the males in my family.
Some examples:
My grandfather used to just pick up any old tin of paint and bring it home. My grandparents had a shockingly orange front door for many years.

My dad, bless him, just didn't have a clue and would simply say 'that one' without mentioning the colour.

One of my brothers could not persue his dream career of air traffic controller (thankfully for the rest of us!)

Another brother is convinced that Manchester United once played in pink shirts - they were grey.

Youngest brother struggled at school with chemistry, geography and maths. Teachers were either dismissive or mildly interested, but never pro-active.

More recently my nephew has really struggled with anything represented as coured graphs, bar charts, line graphs etc - he couldn't process coloured rods and similar activities for maths when small.
Also as a child he consistently coloured elephants green instead of grey and couldn't differentiate between varying shades of green, yellow or blue.

1 in 12 boys have some degree of colour blindness and yet awareness of potential difficulties around this is poor.
It is likely that there is at least one player in any football or rugby team affected ...

Just wanted to let you know there is now an excellent site for information
www.colourblindnessawareness.org

IlPorcupinoNilSodomyEst Tue 26-Sep-17 08:38:41

Thank you OP! My brother and my son have a degree of colour blindness - DS has trouble with murky shades of green and orange, and doesn't see purple clearly as he doesn't see the red in it. He is aware and can do some compensation for it, but i do have to remind school several times a year about it. Last school report said for Art that he 'should have more confidence with colour combinations' ... erm.

EastMidsGPs Tue 26-Sep-17 08:41:40

Have been following tweets from colour blindness awareness this past week, examples people are giving are making me sad.
In all my years in adult education, no one has ever said it needs consideration - I think of the endless PowerPoint presentations awash with colour that were probably meaningless

PickleRickSanchez Tue 26-Sep-17 09:09:45

I'm a colour blind female.
I didn't realise until someone commented on toddler DS's big brown eyes being just like his Dad's...that I'd been seeing as green since I met him, and DS since his changed from Blue to Green brown grin

EastMidsGPs Tue 26-Sep-17 09:19:15

I've just done the numbers in dot test on line.
I cannot see the number in the pink/purple dots shock
I am 61 and have only just discovered this.

(Now wondering what colour clash I've worn over the years!)

WaxOnFeckOff Tue 26-Sep-17 09:36:49

I used to work in the electricity industry and part of my job was testing colour blindness in potential apprentices. I had no training, just a set of the cards and any issues we had to flag with the person and ask them to go and get officially tested but sadly it was the end of a potential career for most of the (mainly boys) applicants who had issues.

EastMidsGPs Tue 26-Sep-17 12:16:08

This has had me thinking hard about it since I saw all the examples of what people found difficult to see - things the rest of us take for granted.
Football kit is an interesting one, and explains why my very shy cousin's favourite shirt is shiny egg yoke yellow with red tomato sauce sponsor's name on it. So, out of character and probably looks beige to him!
I am now wondering about how many children but especially boys are struggling unnoticed in school.

HarryDresdensLeatherDuster Tue 26-Sep-17 12:34:56

Some of us teachers are very aware, I promise. I had a pupil last year who had specific graphs, maps etc as he was colour blind. Have just taken on a new teacher who is colour blind so she will help the rest of us understand the things which might cause difficulty.

RavingRoo Tue 26-Sep-17 12:39:32

I find it difficult to tell the difference between red/pink or purple/blue - mum tried to get me diagnosed but GP wouldn’t entertain it at the time as I’m a woman. I think many more women are probably missed than men.

EastMidsGPs Tue 26-Sep-17 12:44:28

Harry
Great to hear, as I said I worked in adult ed until recently .. I cringe at all the all singing all dancing PowerPoint presentations I've done (and my colleagues) all of the paintings I've usex as resources .. the list is endless sad

llangennith Tue 26-Sep-17 12:45:49

DS is now 42 and I realised he was colourblind when he was six. Tests showed he was VERY colourblind! It was noted on his school record at primary school but every year he still had to tell the new teacher.
Certain occupations were not an option for him but he got good exam results and a physics degree so it's not something that's ever caused either of us any concern.

WhatHaveIFound Tue 26-Sep-17 12:49:28

My DH is colour blind so we made a point of asking the optician to test both our children when they went for their first eyetests. Luckily neither of them turned out to be affected.

Maudlinmaud Tue 26-Sep-17 12:51:12

I was colourblind when I had a neuro condition, I didn't even realise. One of the ways they test for it is with the cards and I was perplexed that I couldn't see what was there. It was most odd. Thankfully I'm not anymore. But isn't it strange that it can come and go? I'm happy for someone to come along and explain this for me.

RefluxWrangler Tue 26-Sep-17 12:54:37

Both my boys are colourblind I think (just from doing those numbers in circles tests online). I'll check out that website, thanks.

Thingywhatsit Tue 26-Sep-17 13:02:31

I've just studied for a professional qualification with the local college in the evenings. I commented to my study buddy how it would be impossible to learn by the way we were being taught (by useless lecturer) if you were colour blind. His love of highlighting numbers and coloured squiggly lines on his 2 hour PowerPoint sessions totally showed that he hadn't taken into account potential colourblindness. Which I thought was pretty poor as it is so common. His (very poor imo) teaching method completely relied on these colour coding squiggles.

Whinesalot Tue 26-Sep-17 13:09:34

My ds has mild red/green colour blindness. I wonder how it really affects him on a day to day basis. Hasn't been an obvious problem but would he even realise?

RandomMess Tue 26-Sep-17 13:10:35

My eldest daughter is blue yellow colour blind, she didn't realise until she was 19 - despite having painted the grass blue in art in secondary school...

She now knows to highlight it at uni for any potential tests, coursework etc. It also in part explains her unusual clothes choices at times and cases of mistaken identity of people from a distance!!

She has a great sense of humour and will happily play that "what colour is this" nearly everything seems to blue according to her!

WeatherwaxOrOgg Tue 26-Sep-17 13:14:27

My DH is colour blind so we made a point of asking the optician to test both our children when they went for their first eyetests. Luckily neither of them turned out to be affected

That's because it doesn't pass through males to their children, only through mothers, so if you're not colourblind, they can't be.

timmyinatizzy Tue 26-Sep-17 13:15:00

We discovered that DS has red/green colour blindness just after he started school. It's only certain shades though. My dad has issues with green too, we always used to joke about it as kids, especially when my mum chose a green patterned wallpaper for their bedroom!

The optician told me that females tend to be the carriers and it affects the males.

Maudlinmaud Tue 26-Sep-17 13:21:39

I've just completed the test. I have a mild deutan, not sure what that is. I thought I was cured and I'm not. I can live with it though grin

SoupDragon Tue 26-Sep-17 13:22:43

DS2 is colour blind. It's written into his exam stuff so that he is allowed to ask for "colour reading" whereby someone will tell him if something is blue or purple (which is what he can't see). They test the whole intwke in Y7 but we already knew as he'd struggled with our "spot the purple car" game!

My dad is red/green colour blind and I think ex FIL and BIL are in some respect, not sure what.

SoupDragon Tue 26-Sep-17 13:24:05

That's because it doesn't pass through males to their children, only through mothers, so if you're not colourblind, they can't be.

Clearly DS2 isn't mine then hmm

SusanTheGentle Tue 26-Sep-17 13:37:42

Um no. That's not how genes work. I'm ropey on this myself, and this is simplistic: but women can carry a copy of whichever gene it is on one X chromosone (because we don't have a Y chromosone usually). If they have children with a man who also has one copy of the gene, the children will be colourblind. So it's quite possible for neither parent nor grandparent to actually have the condition, but for the gene for it to be passed down until someone has kids with another carrier.

This explaination is much more detailed, and, you know, accurate: www.colourblindawareness.org/colour-blindness/inherited-colour-vision-deficiency/

SusanTheGentle Tue 26-Sep-17 13:40:31

Actually that's really interesting and something to watch out for: it looks like I have a 50/50 chance of being a carrier because I have a colourblind grandfather. So my mum is definitely a carrier, according to that link, but as my father isn't colour blind, it would depend whether I got the carrying X chromosone from my mum or not.

MrKaplan Tue 26-Sep-17 14:05:29

waxon my friends big brother was tested and failed.... after he had attended 3 years of electrical education. He was devastated.
I think they test earlier now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now