Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How do you deal with unemployment?

(17 Posts)
Mangostrawberry Tue 26-Sep-17 08:07:41

I've never been in this situation before and am finding it awful. I feel useless and as the days and weeks stretch by I am finding myself sliding into depression.

YBR Tue 26-Sep-17 08:14:49

I feel fortunate that I've not been there fore long periods yet, but this is my guess:
Get yourself a routine somehow. Perhaps volunteering, perhaps something self-imposed (set definite hours for job hunting, housework, getting out somewhere).

flumpybear Tue 26-Sep-17 08:16:43

I've always got myself a temp job then found something from there - often there's little to do whilst admin temping so use the time to find a job

Do you live near a u university ? Always lots of wide ranging jobs there - what's your field?

EastMidsGPs Tue 26-Sep-17 08:16:58

Same here. Was made redundant in July have never not worked.
I drifted for a bit and slept a lot ! But am certainly feeling aimless as worked in education and this would have need a very busy time for me. I have gone from a daily multiple decision maker into someone who cannot decide what to have fir breakfast.
I unashamedly vegged but was heading towards feeling depressed so these last couple of months have:

Made sure I go for a walk each day

Do a daily relaxation exercise from YouTube

Have started an OU free short course

Signed up to volunteer at a local heritage site ( apparently a waiting list)

Have sort of looked for jobs but not actively. Now planning to sign for a local agency.

Set myself achievable daily and weekly targets. My situation has been skewed by my mum becoming I'll over the summer - she seems to have numerous health appointments she cannot attend alone !

Good luck, it is hard.

Mangostrawberry Tue 26-Sep-17 08:17:45

It's hard. I am working, after a fashion, some evenings. I hate it. Hate spending days alone then going out to work when everyone else is coming back. I am a supply teacher but as September draws to an end with the grand total of one day working - and that was at cover supervisor rates, even though I had to actually teach - I am thinking this is not the answer!

BitchQueen90 Tue 26-Sep-17 08:40:17

Volunteer. Keep active - I used to go to the gym every day. Deep clean at home. Study.

Mangostrawberry Tue 26-Sep-17 08:43:45

The problem is, I can't commit to any sort of volunteering during the day in case that IS indeed the day I get a phone call for some work! Going to the gym depresses me even more and I am already depressed grin

EastMidsGPs Tue 26-Sep-17 08:44:44

I've pulled in all my networks ... so might have chance of work I want to do come January, if days are getting you down, please try some volunteer work.

EastMidsGPs Tue 26-Sep-17 08:45:19

Oops just read your post

Sadik Tue 26-Sep-17 08:56:47

A friend who can't commit (similar sorts of reasons) does informal 'volunteering' looking after another friends ds (who has sn) to give her a break a couple of times a week. Because both know the position if she rings to cancel/rearrange at short notice that's fine. If you knew any overstretched carers could you do something like that?

Mangostrawberry Tue 26-Sep-17 09:23:33

I don't, no.

It is partly lack of something to do/structure but mainly obviously is the increasing pressure on finances.

RunningOutOfCharge Tue 26-Sep-17 09:26:25

I am a supply teacher

Yes, but if you are unemployed you are no longer a supply teacher. Lots of other jobs out there you can’t just sit around waiting for a supply teaching job to come to you.

RunningOutOfCharge Tue 26-Sep-17 09:27:24

Lots of places now hiring for busy Christmas period. Might get something permanent off the back of a seasonal job

Mangostrawberry Tue 26-Sep-17 09:31:09

No, well I'm not, really smile I work evenings and weekends for some money. It's awful but needs must.

However, I can earn more from two days supply than a full week of work at minimum wage. It makes sense to hang in there for a bit.

RunningOutOfCharge Tue 26-Sep-17 09:32:25

Minimum wage?

Where? I didn’t mention minimum wage....,

Mangostrawberry Tue 26-Sep-17 09:34:13

That's what I am on evenings and weekends.

RunningOutOfCharge Tue 26-Sep-17 09:49:29

Oh.

Well as I said, plenty of places advertising now for help over Christmas

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now