Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Anyone got a jack and jill bathroom with 2 doors?

(22 Posts)
Fortunatepiggy Mon 25-Sep-17 21:10:11

Have 3 bed semi with normal layout. Family bathroom at top of stairs off landing, second double next to it then master at front of house and box room.

Would like to put a door from second bedroom into family bathroom to make it ensuite but keep door from landing too.

Idea is when inlaws and dps stay they have privacy but when no one here we use as normal.

We have a downstairs shower room too and we are planning a loft conversion in the next few years which will give dh and I am massive master bedroom and en suite

Anyone done this type of thing? And thoughts welcomed!

Thanks

Notsoyummi Mon 25-Sep-17 21:45:57

When we were building we had plans for an ensuite off our room and bathroom next door we ended up turning it into Jack and Jill so bigger bathroom works great.

yorkshireyummymummy Mon 25-Sep-17 21:51:05

I think its a great idea. You have thought it through properly and it works for how you live in your house. It's not going to add any value but it won't take any value off either. The main point is that you aren't going to be moving in the next few years anyway so do what works to make the house work for you. The only thing you need to do is make sure both doors have locks on them and you advise people to use them when they are using the bathroom as nobody needs to see their in laws Willy/ boobs!!

TowerRingInferno Mon 25-Sep-17 21:54:03

Our ensuite is a jack and Jill set up, with a door onto the landing as well as the bedroom. It works well for us. When guests stay we lock the door from the landing so nobody can wander in. The rest of the time it's a quicker way to get to my bedroom from the landing.

Backingvocals Mon 25-Sep-17 22:00:56

Yes we do. Two bedrooms on the top floor have a jack and Jill bathroom between them. DS and DD share the bathroom. It works well - and is a short cut in and out of each other's rooms smile

Fortunatepiggy Tue 26-Sep-17 16:05:14

What do you think of this design? Not to scale
Thanks

Fortunatepiggy Thu 28-Sep-17 20:32:38

Pls help me! Need to make decision by Monday as plumber coming then!

Am clueless on design and don't want to make expensive mistakes!

MrGrumpy01 Thu 28-Sep-17 20:39:04

What is the impact on the bedroom? In terms of furniture layout.

astrotel Thu 28-Sep-17 20:45:04

My mother has one. Awful. Reduces bathroom size and layout. Ensuite guest don't realise that it is a house bathroom so lost of walking in etc

Very dated and 1980s idea- would put me off a house. It is a pretty small room already and this will make it even more crowded. Plus when you open the door you will have the loo straight in front of you- which isn't great.

Is it 230 cms by 170cms so 8 foot by less than 6 foot?

astrotel Thu 28-Sep-17 20:46:27

The opening door will also cut into the bedroom- is that big enough to have an 80cm door (which is small) and a full size bed etc?

Fekko Thu 28-Sep-17 20:49:05

We had one - flippin heck it was a pain in the backside as everyone kept forgetting to lock the doors!

astrotel Thu 28-Sep-17 20:59:46

I would have the main door opening out onto the landing- that will give more bathroom space and make it feel larger.

DuckOffAutocorrectYouShiv Thu 28-Sep-17 21:00:45

DD's ensuite is jack and Jill but it is a good sized room, 13ft x 10ft and the doors are on the same wall, so there is loads of room for all of the fixtures and the room is easy to plan.

The little plan you've attached looks very tight for space as a J&J.

astrotel Thu 28-Sep-17 21:01:25

I would have a full size sink not a corner one- a corner one highlight that you don't have enough room but is also very 1970s and more cloakroom than house bathroom.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Thu 28-Sep-17 21:02:16

We have one. It's going.

astrotel Thu 28-Sep-17 21:03:09

Have the door opening onto the landing and get a proper sink against the side wall. Use the space next to the door for a decent plumbed heated towel rail. Where is the heating source?

Magstermay Thu 28-Sep-17 21:17:47

How often are they going to be staying? Is it really worth compromising your family bathroom if they will only be there occasionally? A corner sink would drive me batty!

LuckLuckLUCK Thu 28-Sep-17 21:21:10

How much privacy do they need? Tell them to bring a dressing gown.

HouseworkIsAPain Thu 28-Sep-17 21:49:23

I think it’s a bit odd to have the main bathroom as an en-suite too. It’s knly a few feet more to walk through the hallway to he bathroom. It will look cramped and a bit weird if you want to sell on, imho

thenewstateswoman Thu 28-Sep-17 21:56:59

I did this in my last house (small two bed terrace) bathroom connected the two bedrooms with a walk in cupboard / mirror/ shelving unit on the master side. It worked really well. We had a cloakroom downstairs which meant that guests just used that loo when visiting.

Fortunatepiggy Thu 28-Sep-17 22:28:19

Thanks for thoughts. Second bedroom is v large with space for double bed and lots of extra space .see attached diagram

I know 2 doors is weird but I think it works for us as dps will be staying more often from their 3 hours away to look after ds and I want them to be comfortable

Surely if it is very unappealing to prospective buyers in 5 years time I just block up one of the doors or they do?

Fortunatepiggy Thu 28-Sep-17 22:34:41

Also agree the corner sink I think we might have space to do it against one of the walls

Main issue with dps is mum gets up to use loo in night and stresses about waking us up to the point where she feels uncomfortable staying. We have assured her not a problem but she still feels bad. At least if she has own access she won't worry and as we will want them to stay longer now ds has school hols to cover I think it's a good idea

If it detracts from resale value we can either block up one of entrances or by the hopefully will have been able to save for loft conversion and will have 3bathrooms!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now