Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Baby things you can't get in germany

(49 Posts)
TheAntiBoop Mon 25-Sep-17 21:06:25

Sil is about to have a baby and I want to send some practical things that we have hear but they don't have in Germany as standard.

Eg my French friend loved the bodysuits with poppers on the front and fold over scratch mitts as she couldn't get them where she was from!

TheAntiBoop Tue 26-Sep-17 11:03:58

Bump!

Camomila Tue 26-Sep-17 11:23:20

sock ons?
(boring but) nappy sacks?
scratch mits?

based on things i've never found in italy.

Hi, I live in Germany.

Yup to the sleepsuits with fold over mitts, they are great and I didn't find them here.

Do you get big packs of muslin squares? I only managed to find single ones, and totally plain ones at that.

Nappy sacks arent as easy to come by here, I bought a pack from my parents local shop in the uk and still have most of them 7 years on as I didn't use them at home, but the ones I have used were so useful for day trips, I even carry one or two with us these days to serve as a small bin bag when out and about.

I don't remember what they are called, but those cute baby blankets with holes in them. I know they have a name. I used them for ages for loads of different things as I worried a normal blanket might suffocate my babies!

Never thought I'd have a nappy sack related cross post grin

Yes to scratch mitts and to sock ons too. Ours were from friends in the uk.

TheAntiBoop Tue 26-Sep-17 11:29:41

Thank you so much!

Right so a cellular blanket, bodysuits in various sizes up to 6m, nappy sacks (that's random but very interesting!!) and some muslins.

She was due yesterday and I was waiting for a birth weight!

We also had little 'shoes' called sockasins or similar which were very soft. They are ideal for playgroups and here they had sort of rubber soled socks but I didn't find them as good.

Cellular blanket!! Thank you, that was driving me nuts.

TheAntiBoop Tue 26-Sep-17 11:38:03

How about the envelope neck bodysuit?

We have those. smile

TheAntiBoop Tue 26-Sep-17 11:46:43

How about the envelope neck bodysuit?

TheAntiBoop Tue 26-Sep-17 11:47:29

Oops - didn't mean to doubt you!!
Ok I won't wast parcel space on them then!!

No, I wasn't offended grin How would you know unless you ask?!

A sort of non-specific thing which the uk does better is 'cute' things rather than just practical. Germans love the practical stuff but the cheap and cheerful brown bear baby grow I had from Asda, I think (it was like outerwear, pram suit?) attracted lots of good attention.

Too cute and impractical would be a no go, though.

Alicekeach Tue 26-Sep-17 11:52:42

THinking ahead, we've just been on holiday to France and we're stunned to find that they don't have Ella's pouches there. I find them invaluable for meals on the go so you could always pop a few of those in too.

TheAntiBoop Tue 26-Sep-17 11:58:14

I meant because I posted twice!

So for the sleep suits with mitts maybe I will get them coloured rather than white.

TheAntiBoop Tue 26-Sep-17 11:58:50

How about pushchair accessories like clips?

Bananalanacake Tue 26-Sep-17 12:03:30

Rossmann sells nappy sacks. Rossmann and DM do free boxes of stuff and vouchers, go on their website to see how to get it, my DP did it for me. I haven't seen sudocrem in Germany, penaten must be the alternative. I've bought big muslins from kinder Flohmarkts. What I can't get in Germany is cadburys, boxes of 480 teabags. Monster munch, I could go on but I haven't noticed any baby things not available here. My mum buys me clothes from Morrison's but I've seen all the same clothes here second hand.

clearsommespace Tue 26-Sep-17 12:08:01

We have French ready made baby food for meals on the go. Not all brands are international smile

TheAntiBoop Tue 26-Sep-17 12:08:16

Well she's German so I don't think she will want the food!

I just want to get her practical things that may not be the norm there.

talkshowhost97 Tue 26-Sep-17 12:09:58

I don't live in Germany but I have a friend in a nearby eu country and items she requests on visits include: pre-made bottles of formula, nappy sacks, Calpol (local version didn't have as nice a taste). Bonjela, snufflebabe stuff/calpol plug ins. Poxclin. Mainly medicines now that I think about it.

CDAlady Tue 26-Sep-17 12:14:06

Lemsip

RideSallyRide Tue 26-Sep-17 12:19:07

we're stunned to find that they don't have Ella's pouches there.
hmm

My friend lives in Germany and always asks us to bring over breast pads specifically from Morrisons (she thinks the sticky bit is the best). Also tea bags, muslins and baby tights "with the feet in them" and sudacreme. I'm sure there must be alternatives to all these things but she had 3 kids in the UK and her last two there so I think she was settled in her ways by then.

RideSallyRide Tue 26-Sep-17 12:19:41

Oh she struggled to get a Bumbo.

TheAntiBoop Tue 26-Sep-17 12:20:29

Yes that's what I'm trying to avoid - she has no existing love of any British products!!

PurplePillowCase Tue 26-Sep-17 12:25:25

no to nappy sacks.
you can't get them in germany because they are not needed. I don't get them either
they are dangerous for baby (swallow & breathing risk) and add to landfill.
yes to cellular blankets (though sil might need to defend this flimsy blanket from the granny police)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now