Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

I have become so lonely that

(141 Posts)
ThisIsntMyUsualName Mon 25-Sep-17 20:55:42

I've joined a folk dancing troupe. I've just got home from my first gathering. I was stood there with a bunch of lovely ladies that dressed me up as a bush and I genuinely felt happier than I have in years.

I haven't told dh yet. I said I went to the gym, I'm a bit embarrassed that it's come to this tbh. We live very rurally. I tried the WI and although they were lovely to me I was very definitely seen as a someone they wanted to fix. All the parents at ds's school seem to have friendship groups already and ds has asd and doesn't really have any friends of his own for play dates etc.

I don't know why I'm posting this really. I am absolutely rubbish at social situations, I've been on antidepressants since dc2 was born 2 yrs ago. Dh and I have been seriously considering him giving up his job and us moving back to my hometown as my mental health has been so poor which is due hugely to absent dh and me not speaking to anyone for days on end. But I just had a surprisingly pleasant hour dressed up as bush and I'm feeling really pleased with myself.

ThisIsntMyUsualName Mon 25-Sep-17 20:56:36

Except now I'm crying again because I have to tell MN that I went golk dancing because I have no friends.

Fannylodger Mon 25-Sep-17 20:57:22

No need to be embarrassed!
You tried something and had fun! smile

That said, if you think you'd have more friends living in your hometown... go.

newcastledweller Mon 25-Sep-17 20:57:28

flowers

Your bush story made me smile. Well done for getting out and enjoying it.

AnyFucker Mon 25-Sep-17 20:58:24

One of the coolest people I have heard of is a keen morris dancer

Wassup with folk dancing ? smile

Josiah Mon 25-Sep-17 20:58:26

Don't be daft! Folk dancing sounds great fun and from the sound of it you will make some lovely friends. Well done and I hope you do to help to have lots of fun.

Solasum Mon 25-Sep-17 20:58:27

Sounds great! I'd love to do folk dancing

Timeandtune Mon 25-Sep-17 20:58:38

Well done. That must have taken a lot of effort so you should give yourself a pat on the back. You can build on this as quickly or as slowly as you like.

DJBaggySmalls Mon 25-Sep-17 20:58:51

Thats really brave, I'm too chicken to try dancing smile

GhoulsFold Mon 25-Sep-17 20:59:25

Well done you! Don't be embarrassed. It sounds rather fun

Timeandtune Mon 25-Sep-17 20:59:33

People on Mumsnet are your friends.

Bluntness100 Mon 25-Sep-17 21:01:01

Well Stop bloody crying. Well done!!,, its the first steps to a social life and new friends. Now smile. It’s good.

🌲 🌲 🌲

Noteventhebestdrummer Mon 25-Sep-17 21:01:07

I'm proud of you!

LindyHemming Mon 25-Sep-17 21:01:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SunSeaAndSangria Mon 25-Sep-17 21:01:59

That's very brave of you, sounds great fun!

ThisIsntMyUsualName Mon 25-Sep-17 21:02:04

Aw you are a lovely bunch. Even if you are imaginary internet types.

ChocolatePHD Mon 25-Sep-17 21:02:12

Whatever makes you have fun is all good! Don't feel ashamed ever.

scalliondays Mon 25-Sep-17 21:02:13

Good for you for getting out and having some fun - there's nothing wrong with folk dancing. Take no notice of what other people decide is cool or uncool. Really cool people do thir

their own thing .

user1471553214 Mon 25-Sep-17 21:02:15

Hopefully in the not too distant future you'll be able to tell your new folk dancing buddies this funny story!

AngelaTwerkel Mon 25-Sep-17 21:02:18

Good for you. It doesn't matter what you're doing, the fact is you're getting out and doing something.

Is there photographic evidence of you as a bush? Sounds like something that could come back to haunt you. wink

Backingvocals Mon 25-Sep-17 21:02:29

Oh well done. That is a great effort and sounds weirdly and randomly fun. Please keep going - and tell us what happens next week. I don't get to go out much either (single parent) so am living vicariously through people who go folk dancing and get dressed up as a bush smile

Josiah Mon 25-Sep-17 21:02:40

Sorry, remove the word help!

ThisIsntMyUsualName Mon 25-Sep-17 21:02:56

Also you get to do shows where you are paid in booze. Apparently.

OhWhatFuckeryIsThisNow Mon 25-Sep-17 21:03:01

Good for you! Similar, rural, but grown kids, no friends, tried wi, not for me, I've just joined a social craft group to make friends, really had to bite the bullet. I really hope you make wonderful friends and have fun.

TollgateDebs Mon 25-Sep-17 21:03:17

Well done and it is never easy to try something new, but you did, so good on you! Did something similar when I moved to a small town and it was the best thing I ever did. I've made some great friendships and have a small, but lovely, group of friends. Great exercise too and much better than a gym imo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now