Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How to get rid of spiders (without harming them)

(30 Posts)
Fiona1984 Mon 25-Sep-17 20:49:42

Any suggestions?
I don't want to hurt them, I hate the idea of harming any creature. But I'd rather they weren't in my vicinity!
I've just rescued my second huge house spider, I put it out the window (ground floor)
I have a cat, but he doesn't chase spiders, and I'd rather not use chemicals either.

Believeitornot Mon 25-Sep-17 20:51:54

You mean how to deter spiders?

No idea. I wish I knew. I did try lemon oil sprinkled around my house and it felt like there were fewer but not convinced.

Ridingthegravytrain Mon 25-Sep-17 20:53:14

Conkers in the corner of rooms. So I have heard. Sounds random I know!

RaininSummer Mon 25-Sep-17 20:53:34

Get a spider catcher from Lakeland. www.lakeland.co.uk/20455/Spider-Catcher-Vacuum-Insect-Catcher?gclid=CjwKCAjw0qLOBRBUEiwAMG5xMGQRcKQCSNAyp1uU5H6pgvcnzYY1mc_QpZp2yt9bvUKRCNaxQxlGahoCoQ4QAvD_BwE&src=gfeed&s_kwcid=AL!49!3!105383406629!!!!42886197504!&ef_id=WH0trAAABK77B6il:20170925195254:s

MrsChopper Mon 25-Sep-17 20:53:48

You can buy a spider 'grabbing' tool really cheap which means you can release them without having to touch them!

hungrytillater Mon 25-Sep-17 20:54:39

I got a spray called 'no more spiders' which is natural and doesn't harm but deters them. I still get a few but not as many.

newcastledweller Mon 25-Sep-17 20:56:01

I put conkers in the corner and near any crevices etc. I also spray lavender oil around those areas.

Any that break through those passive barriers get hoovered.

TollgateDebs Mon 25-Sep-17 20:57:02

Plastic sandwich box and card. I drop the box (make sure it misses the legs) over the spider, slide the card under gently and then release into the garden.

katymac Mon 25-Sep-17 20:57:20

I built a spider ladder to rescue one from the shower tray!

I hate, hate, hate them!!

DJBaggySmalls Mon 25-Sep-17 20:57:51

If you know where they come in put a drop of clove or eucalyptus oil on a cotton bud.

Fiona1984 Mon 25-Sep-17 21:00:24

Yeah, I'm hoping to deter them somehow. I have a pint glass and unopened letter ready for the next one that appears. We're currently renovating our house so there are a lot of holes for them to creep out of!

MichaelFabricantsHair Mon 25-Sep-17 21:08:00

Pint glass and a piece of cardboard; once made the mistake of using paper and could feel the spider's feet pitter-pattering through the paper as I prepared to lob release it in the garden.

Josiah Mon 25-Sep-17 21:09:11

Instead of vacuuming them into oblivion or smacking the fuck out of them with a heavy boot, get a feather duster and gently tickle them under all eight armpits, soothing them softly with the words, "come along sweetie-pie, walkies!" as you gently usher them out of the door.

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Mon 25-Sep-17 21:12:10

Conkers!

Drill holes in them and make Spider Voodoo Rope.

Hang it everywhere like shiney bunting.

StylishDuck Mon 25-Sep-17 21:12:32

Apparently they hate the smell of peppermint, so a few drops of peppermint oil in some water in a spray bottle sprayed around any possible entrances will deter them. I think you'd have to do it fairly regularly though.

Mum2jenny Mon 25-Sep-17 21:12:43

I just pick them up and put them outside. But they catch lots of flies and other insects so I'm not too bothered by them. However my dh loathes them so I rescue them before he finds them

SpiderWilly Mon 25-Sep-17 21:16:34

Peppermint oil deters them in my experience. Conkers didn't work for me as they just climbed over them and I can't bear to pick them up. I've used it for 3 years now and not had a spider in the house.

Fiona1984 Mon 25-Sep-17 21:19:15

Pmsl @Josiah
The big hairy house spiders make me shudder, but I can just about catch them. I'm trying not to think about all the ones I can't see.

Mum2jenny Mon 25-Sep-17 21:27:10

It's the ones that land on your towel that freak me most!!

Escapepeas Mon 25-Sep-17 21:32:42

We have infusers with peppermint, tea tree and lavender which is apparently meant to deter spiders. It does not work. I have tried conkers, Spider Stop and pretty much everything else and I have yet to find an effective deterrent.

I'm afraid I don't give a shit about killing them. If I see one, it's dead. It's a total waste of time throwing them outside as they just come back in again.

SpiderWilly Mon 25-Sep-17 21:36:22

We have infusers

I spray all around windows, doors, skirting and any nooks and crannies every week with 30 drops peppermint oil mixed with water in Sept/Oct. I found the diffusers didn't work.

cloudsneverstay Mon 25-Sep-17 22:27:53

SpiderWilly do spiders actually have willies, I wonder? smile

hungrytilllater I have found that stuff pretty effective too

cloudsneverstay Mon 25-Sep-17 22:29:56

SpiderWilly I have a Simpsons tune running round my head.... Spider Willy
SpiderWilly
Does whatever a spider willy does
Is it big?
Is it small?
Does the spider have any balls.....LOL

eddiemairswife Mon 25-Sep-17 22:42:29

I don't like them, but I would never kill them. There was a huge one in the washbasin last night, and I was unable to clean my teeth.

SilverySurfer Mon 25-Sep-17 22:58:06

I have to see the nurse at my doctor's surgery three times a week and go past a huge horse chestnut tree and every time I pick up loads of conkers which I then spread round my house. I feel a bit mean taking conkers which children may want to collect but my need is greater than theirs - hope they keep the spiders away. smile Will be buying some peppermint oil as well when I go shopping this week - thanks for the tip.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now