Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Degree choice

(7 Posts)
Dawnedlightly Mon 25-Sep-17 20:33:29

Anyone have any ideas...
DS is very bright, currently on course for A/A* B on a bad day in stem subjects. Passionate about politics and economic theory but also loves doing things with his hands. Probably not quite up to engineering at a top University. Latest idea is a year out to do a foundation art year then apply to do Architecture. For a squillion reasons- cost and architects are mad and unhappy we're really discouraging that. Does anyone know of any amazing degree which would combine the ideas and hands on elements? I suggested an apprenticeship but he said he wants the university experience, which I support.
Tia

Triplesalchow Mon 25-Sep-17 20:46:14

Product design?
Dentistry (need a good business head/can be quite political these days in some roles) Definitely to ticks the working with hands box.

Dawnedlightly Mon 25-Sep-17 21:12:14

Thank you! No he wouldn't be a good dentist! He's more of a fiddler inventor type- not great qualities in a dentist. I guess I'm hoping for something like economics with tinkering. At a great university!

Dawnedlightly Mon 25-Sep-17 21:19:24

I think I've narrowed it down- does anyone know of an economics or politics degree with a hands on element. Politics and Engineering? confused

wrenika Mon 25-Sep-17 21:43:08

I know you've mentioned it but engineering is a good career move. I don't think he'd have an issue getting on a course - and for what it's worth, don't necessarily think only the 'best' unis are the place to go for engineering. 'Best' doesn't necessarily give the best opportunities and learning! I did my undergrad engineering degree at a former-poly, which had loads of hands-on learning. We went surveying for a week, we went and build a small structure for a week, we had a lot of lab work and site visits through the local council engineering department. It was a great learning experience. I then did my post grad at a 'better' (but not 'best') uni, and while it served its purpose and got me the required learning, it wasn't a patch on the former-poly uni. I now work for one of the big names in engineering, who didn't care one jot about where I went to uni. It was about my knowledge, and experience, and summer placements, and passion.

Unless he really has a flare for it, I'd steer clear of architecture. Very few people come out the other end of that course - and I know, because I did it prior to engineering! I got to yr 3 and dropped out. It's very, very difficult. And a hell of a lot of work, when the whole whether you pass or fail is down to the subjective opinion of a panel of reviewers who are intent to rip your design to shreds. I had reviewers at one 'exam' who laughed at my design, in front of my class, and said that 'all the drunkards piss on the streets of glasgow would flow into' some part of my design. Then had a great laugh between themselves about it, while I stood there like a lemon trying not to cry...cause you know you've failed, when they laugh at you like that, you know you're screwed. You need a thick skin and massive talent to get through architecture school!

Dawnedlightly Mon 25-Sep-17 21:49:50

Thanks Wrenika that's exactly The impression I have of architecture! We'll look again at engineering...

Troubleinstore Mon 25-Sep-17 22:11:05

DH is an engineer and believe me there are just not enough of them. The pay can be amazing and the opportunities are endless. I would definitely recommend at least looking in to the different disciplines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now