Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Meal planning

(6 Posts)
Nottalotta Mon 25-Sep-17 20:24:55

Help, please. I don't meal plan as a rule, but am going to attempt a weekly shop, once a week, no more. And thought meal planning might help.

I'm struggling! Not least because currently I have 7month old ds weaning, 2 yr old ds eating at 5-6pm, me and husband eating at 8.30. But h is stbx although I'm still bloody cooking for him.

So, ideas?

Quick meals, 2 yr old doesn't eat kiddie food (chips, anything breaded or battered......)

Penfold007 Mon 25-Sep-17 20:47:10

What sort of foods/meals does your 2 year old enjoy? My first thought is I'd have tea with DC and let STBXH sort himself out.

Changerofname987654321 Mon 25-Sep-17 20:48:40

I agree with the above poster. On my non working days I have tea with my DD at 4.30.

JammyGem Mon 25-Sep-17 20:53:19

DH and I work very different hours so quite often I will do something in my slow cooker, then just switch it to "keep warm" for when DH eats.

You can do a lot - stews, baked potatoes, frittatas, mac and cheese, chilis.... i love my slow cooker grin

Nottalotta Mon 25-Sep-17 21:03:35

Ds favorite meals are spaghetti bolognaise (or any tomato based sauce with pasta) sausages and peas, omlette and beans. He's not keen on potato but will eat it if I do a roast and chop it all up with gravy so he can spoon it in.

He doesn't like cheesy pasta. Or cake. Weirdo.

I'd like to batch cook a bit if I can ambitious

Dinosauratemydaffodils Mon 25-Sep-17 21:08:12

I do a lot of one pot wonder type things as I can feed ds earlier than me and DH if needed and just leave it on a low heat until we're ready.

Lean mince, finely chopped onion (chopped in bulk, frozen in portions), tinned tomatoes, grated courgette (from the freezer), grated carrot (also from the freezer) and then either a spaghetti or chilli powder mix served with either baked potatoes, spaghetti or rice.

Then I make the leftovers in some sort of pie, topped with either potato, pastry or lasagne sheets for the following day.

My two year old loves it as long as I cut the onion up finely enough.

I also make mild curries in a similar fashion and then turn the leftovers into a pie of some description.

Wraps are another favourite on the days that DH is working late. Grilled chicken, pitta breads, sliced peppers, chopped tomatoes, coriander, lemon juice and grated cheese. We can help ourselves and then when DH comes home, he just needs to warm the pittas/wraps up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now