Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What is wrong with my grass? (pic)

(26 Posts)
PoptartPoptart Mon 25-Sep-17 19:03:05

We have this weird semi circle of baldness on our grass that has gradually got worse over the last couple of years (pic attached).
No obvious reason for it. I tried putting down grass seed last year but it didn't make any difference (probably cos the bloody birds kept eating the seed). I thought about digging the area up and turfing it but, well, it all seems like a bit too much effort! <lazy> smile
DH thinks it's the markings of an alien craft landing grin
It looks horrible! Any ideas on what it is and how I can get rid of it wise mumsnetters?

SloanePeterson Mon 25-Sep-17 19:06:42

How long have you lived there? Our trampoline makes a similar patch in the garden and we've tried seeding it to no avail. So possibly lasting damage from a previous trampoline?

SloanePeterson Mon 25-Sep-17 19:07:19

Sorry just reread and it's a semi circle so unlikely a trampoline. Dh has it then. Deffo aliens

NaiceToMeetYou Mon 25-Sep-17 19:08:05

Crop circle.

PoptartPoptart Mon 25-Sep-17 19:09:44

It was here when we moved in 3 years ago but has gradually got worse

PoptartPoptart Mon 25-Sep-17 19:10:15

Oooh, what's a crop circle and how can I get rid of it?

4yoniD Mon 25-Sep-17 19:11:39

Are you main drain? My parents have a soak away and get bald patches above it.

HughLauriesStubble Mon 25-Sep-17 19:11:45

Is the lawn uneven? When it rains does water tend to pool there?

WelshPooch Mon 25-Sep-17 19:11:55

My aunt had an old cesspit buried under her lawn and the grass never grew very well over it. Kind of dead looking in a circular shape IYSWIM

Could you have something buried under there?

retainertrainer Mon 25-Sep-17 19:12:02

Leather jackets? Daddy long legs lay their eggs in the grass,the larve 'leather jackets' eat the grass from the roots and then crawl out of the cocoons. They killed half our lawn one year. I don't know that they'd make a neat semi circle though!

Josiah Mon 25-Sep-17 19:14:17

I saw a documentary where they were investigating ground similar looking to yours.

It was called Tremors with the eminent expert Mr K Bacon.

Josiah Mon 25-Sep-17 19:16:03

On a serious note, do you live in Wales or an area where there may have been coal mines?

Allthebestnamesareused Mon 25-Sep-17 19:18:07

Maybe its a sink hole forming!

flumpybear Mon 25-Sep-17 19:18:08

Have you tried feeding the ground and grass and putting seeds down with something to keep them down like sand? .... just w thought I'm no expert

Otherwise it's aliens for sure

GinGeum Mon 25-Sep-17 19:18:16

There is a name for this... I can't bloody remember it. Fairy circles or something. Let me have a google...

PoptartPoptart Mon 25-Sep-17 19:19:27

OMG talk of daddy long legs larvae and cesspits are freaking me out a bit... off to google

GinGeum Mon 25-Sep-17 19:19:52

Ah, here - fairy rings

A fungal infection apparently! Perhaps due to the damp summer we had?

PoptartPoptart Mon 25-Sep-17 19:20:22

We live in London

PoptartPoptart Mon 25-Sep-17 19:21:53

I like the sound of fairy rings better than a daddy long legs infestation smile

llangennith Mon 25-Sep-17 19:28:06

Dig over the whole circle area next Spring and google all the things you need to do to prepare the ground for seed. Honestly it's not that hardsmile
Then put a few canes around and drape netting over it till the seed has sprouted (a week or two). You can remove the netting then but tell everyone to keep off that area.
If that doesn't work call Ghostbusters!

GinGeum Mon 25-Sep-17 19:30:52

According to the link, you would need to dig down about 30cm and remove all that soil, to replace with new. (To get rid of the infected soil presumably)

Then do the reseeding etc on the new soil.

HughLauriesStubble Mon 25-Sep-17 19:42:45

You could just try epsom salts first op

diygarden.co.uk/lawn-care/how-to-make-your-grass-greener-with-epsom-salts/

PoptartPoptart Mon 25-Sep-17 20:23:39

Thanks everyone for the advice.I think new soil and reseeding is definitely in order next Spring, although I'm going to try the Epsom salts on the rest of the grass too

Wallywobbles Mon 25-Sep-17 20:59:32

Something's underneath it. Digging is the answer. But no fun to do

LemonadeWithACherry Tue 26-Sep-17 10:39:19

You could get GreenThumb out to look at it? They've transformed our lawn with two treatments, and they're very reasonable. We have a large front garden and the treatment cost £17 a time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now