Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What happens to the employees?

(12 Posts)
AlexaAmbidextra Mon 25-Sep-17 18:06:01

We have been given notice that we have to leave our current rented premises by a certain date. The board inform us that our new premises won't be ready for occupation so we will effectively be homeless for at least six months. My team performs a very specific client function so can't operate independently of each other. We are client facing (healthcare) so no possibility of wfh. What rights do we have if there is nowhere for us to work?

PeterBlue Mon 25-Sep-17 18:20:50

Surely that is the board's problem, not yours?

LIZS Mon 25-Sep-17 18:22:20

They will have to find alternative premises if they wish to maintain continuity. Otherwise you would be made redundant.

NapQueen Mon 25-Sep-17 18:22:40

I suppose they could make redundancies. Worst case.

Isnt it six mo ths before you can fill a redundant position?

shouldaknownbetter Mon 25-Sep-17 18:26:11

I work in HR and advised on a similar problem recently. We gave the staff the option of redundancy or unpaid leave for 6 months with a guarantee they could come back to their jobs. Technically it's a redundancy situation as there's no work for you at the location you work at (assuming no alternative sites nearby).

AlexaAmbidextra Mon 25-Sep-17 20:06:52

PeterBlue. What an odd reply. How is it not my problem if I end up with no job?

Toblernone Mon 25-Sep-17 20:12:27

Is it the sort of service where they might be planning to find you somewhere temporary for the 6 months, like renting something short term or borrowing space from another health care service/clinic or do you use too much equipment to make that viable?

When our service moved offices we were in a temporary office for about 8 months until new ones were ready (literally shoehorned into old storage space borrowed from another service, was very 'cosy' for a bit!), they may be planning the same?

PeterBlue Mon 25-Sep-17 20:15:37

Surely the board employs you and so they have the responsibility for providing you with your premises in which to carry out your duties?

Or by "the board" do you mean some body other than your employer?

NapQueen Mon 25-Sep-17 20:52:56

The Board is usually a panel of independent advisors.

AlexaAmbidextra Mon 25-Sep-17 21:24:06

Board of Trustees. It's a charity.

AlexaAmbidextra Mon 25-Sep-17 21:29:49

Tobler. Well I hope the trustees are planning to find us temp accommodation but they aren't exactly renowned for being pro-active. hmm. If they were more efficient we wouldn't be in this position as we have owned the new premises for over five years but they need a refurb which the powers that be have had numerous meetings about but never had the balls to make a decision. angry. Hence me wanting to know our legal position for when they fuck this up too.

Toblernone Wed 27-Sep-17 10:07:07

Presumably if your service is still commissioned they can't make you redundant, don't mean legally but practically, unless they've got someone else they can quickly dump the load on? Any way of finding out through the grapevine when your service is up for review? Might help ease your mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now