Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Paying back maternity pay

(11 Posts)
matpayworries Mon 25-Sep-17 15:14:33

NC for this but a semi regular poster!

Due to complicated reasons (mainly leaving a borderline abusive relationship and moving hours away from my DC's father)I'm unable to return to work when my maternity leave finishes. It is in my contract that this is to be paid back if not returning to the NHS for 3 months, which is fine and understandable.

I have applied for and been rejected for multiple jobs where I'm living now, basically any that I'm qualified for but there isn't many as I'm in quite a rural location now sad

My question is, has anyone been in this situation before? According to my manager there is no grace period of being able to return to work, just that if you don't have a job to return to on the date your maternity leave finishes, you'll have to pay it back sad

And also, does anyone know if this can be payable in instalments? It's going to be pretty difficult to pay back on an income of child benefit/tax credits (about £240 a month confused)

curlycat Mon 25-Sep-17 15:17:25

Do you have any annual leave you can tag on to the end of your mat leave and give yourself a wee bit extra time to find something

matpayworries Mon 25-Sep-17 15:19:29

Oh that's a brilliant idea shockI hadn't even thought about that, I think that would give 2-3 weeks which would help! Thankyou!

curlycat Mon 25-Sep-17 15:24:45

The Board ( scotland) I work for would take instalments as it's better to get something rather than nothing but not sure what other Boards or Trusts do.
They can't take what you don't have!

matpayworries Mon 25-Sep-17 15:28:46

Yes that's what I had thought sadjust a very crap situation, limited to the work I can do as hospital would be impossible now with no childcare for night shifts and i don't seem to be qualified enough for the community! Gah sad

Helspopje Mon 25-Sep-17 15:31:10

Even if you locum or temp to bring you from the end of accrued leave to 3months you would be ok
It can be waived too

matpayworries Mon 25-Sep-17 15:34:50

Oh I hadn't thought about locum/bank! For some reason I'd assumed it had to be full time employment!

Ellendegeneres Mon 25-Sep-17 15:41:30

I was incredibly fortunate that my work waived mine. I suffer with mh difficulties, diagnosed after signing pregnancy paperwork re maternity. Work decided to write it off instead of the inevitable of me returning but being off sick for the three months (which would still count as returned to work).
I recognise I'm in an incredibly fortunate position for this though. Hope it works out for you

sourpatchkid Mon 25-Sep-17 15:43:57

Any way the job can be done from home or another remote location?

How long were you on maternity for? If 1 year you'll have more leave than 3 weeks and if not you can extend your leave for 1 year

rhnireland Mon 25-Sep-17 17:03:11

I have a friend who was able to have her maternity pay repayment cancelled as she got the union involved to help her. She had to move due to domestic abuse. Would it be worth talking to your union if you have one

matpayworries Mon 25-Sep-17 18:07:01

I'm a nurse so no way of doing it remotely sad
I began my maternity at the end of last year so should have 6 months accrued from April so however long that is, would have to dig paperwork out to work that out.

I'll definitely speak to my union when I get any paperwork through, really hoping they'll help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now