Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Pissed off that first class is only 25% full

(46 Posts)
Cameblackbenzleftwhite1 Mon 25-Sep-17 13:51:56

When economy is about 98% full. Why didn't they offer upgrades at a reasonsible price to people and all they get is the bigger seat with economy food?

Obviously I couldn't pay 6k a seat but I would happily pay 200 or so on my economy ticket. Just seems a shame for the seats to be empty and they could make more money.

Ceto Mon 25-Sep-17 13:54:32

If you book far enough in advance, First Class isn't necessarily that much more expensive.

Niccelia Mon 25-Sep-17 13:54:47

First class are paying the poor people tax. They don't want to be sat with the plebs.

I'm poor so I can say that wink

TheFlis12345 Mon 25-Sep-17 13:57:15

First and Business class fares hugely subsidise economy prices. If you start offering cheap upgrades all the time, you devalue the product and people won't want to pay full fares in future, so everyone's price goes up.

Fannylodger Mon 25-Sep-17 14:00:34

Because then everyone would wait for the later upgrades and not pay 6k for a seat which would hit turnover too much?

ShotsFired Mon 25-Sep-17 14:01:07

Because just like people get pissed off when they have to pay £'000s for a budget airline seat next to some smug git who for theirs for £2.99, people who paid top dollar for the posh seats get pissed off with the cheeky fuckers sneaking on on a cut price upgrade.

(I have been that CF upgrade trying and failing to act nonchalant in our snazzy flat bed seats with free flowing champagne; although it has cost me dear (literally) as now I only want to travel Business Class or higher)

Fannylodger Mon 25-Sep-17 14:02:07

Also, if you're happy to not have the full on first class treatment some airlines do premium economy for not much more.
If you get cash back and use vouchers the price difference is negligible. It means the seats are a little better and you have some more room.
Some airlines also offer extra leg room seats for a fee.

GinandGingerBeer Mon 25-Sep-17 14:04:01

Because that would be a crazy idea and put airlines out of business

PatriciaHolm Mon 25-Sep-17 14:04:06

Because if people realised that was an option all the time, people wouldn't pay the full price! Plus as a PP said, for many airlines/routes, it's the business/upper seats that bring in the profit.

Etihad have an option where you can bid for an upgrade, and it's normally a bit cheaper than paying full price at the time of booking but not dramatically.

Nuttynoo Mon 25-Sep-17 14:05:19

most airlines have very strict rules about who can be upgraded from economy- mostly frequent flyers / celebrities etc. They’d rather have empty seats than upgrade the ‘wrong’ people.

RubyWinterstorm Mon 25-Sep-17 14:17:09

If it was possible to get into business class or first for a few hundred quid extra on the day, nobody would be willing to to pay real first class prices any more, would they? if someone has paid £6k for their ticket, and you get the same for, say 600+200=800, the person who paid £6k would not be happy, and not book that airline again.

You pay for exclusivity.

The first classes are subsidising our cheap seats, you know grin.

Comeymemo Mon 25-Sep-17 14:18:15

I've got the highest Executive Club tier, and even I don't get upgraded from cattle class unless the plane is full, which it nearly never is.

chajazam Mon 25-Sep-17 14:27:41

I think you mean premium or business. In my experience economy passengers don't even get to see first class. I upgraded at the airport on Virgin to premium the other week and they costed the prices. Economy- premium= x, premium to upper=y, economy to upper=z. From memory it was about £1000 from economy to upper. It's not just a slightly bigger seat at that level, the whole experience is different. Fast track security, lounge access, flat bed seat, vastly different food...

Even if you do get a great deal at the airport consider if you want to take it as you will never want to fly normally again.

Might be worth joining a frequent flyer club and collect points on your everyday spend. I have the BA one which offers two for one miles flights if you spend a certain amount and with some effort you can afford to travel very well at vastly reduced prices if you're flexible. Upgrade management is a bit of a dark art as far as I'm aware. If you're a single traveller and haven't ordered a special meal you're better off as well as being a member of their ff programme and having mid tier or above status. Flyer talk is a good place to start along with Head for points which is a UK blog giving tips. I've flown first class to Hong Kong and gotten some great business class upgrades using miles. That's if you're bothered and travel long haul a fair bit of course!

JohnHunter Mon 25-Sep-17 14:28:46

Part of the benefit of First is that it's often empty.

If airlines thought that selling "cheap" upgrades at the gate was a sensible business move then they would do so.

I think you could make a much stronger argument for trains. It doesn't make any sense to me that first class can be (almost) empty but people in economy are sat on the floor outside the toilets in between carriages.

ZaphodBeeblerox Mon 25-Sep-17 14:30:27

But all those people who paid £6k would then be super pissed off at having someone pay £1k or whatever and sitting next to them no?

Also the food isn't the most expensive part of the business or first class ticket. The economy-class subsidy is. + it'd be impossible to then go up to a person in 1K and tell them sorry Madam you can't have the grilled chicken on a ceramic plate. Here it is in aluminium foil because you're an economy passenger. And have Madam shout, and everyone cringe!

MrsKnightley Mon 25-Sep-17 14:37:43

I think she is on a train......

BritInUS1 Mon 25-Sep-17 14:40:34

Why should you pay £200 when others have paid thousands to sit in there?

YABU if you want to sit in first class, pay the extra

highinthesky Mon 25-Sep-17 14:41:10

£6k for a first class train seat??! I doon't think so.

PatriciaHolm Mon 25-Sep-17 14:41:43

I think she is on a train......

...with first class journeys at 6k?!

I know rail travel has got expensive, but that's ridiculous ;-)

ZaphodBeeblerox Mon 25-Sep-17 14:41:43

Obviously I couldn't pay 6k a seat

That's flight prices not train!

Viviennemary Mon 25-Sep-17 14:44:17

I'd be annoyed if I'd paid full fare for 1st class and folk were upgraded for £200. I have thought about it for long haul but DH says it's a waste of money but if I want to I can but he'll still go economy. confused

MotherofSausage Mon 25-Sep-17 14:45:11

I was Emirates Platinum for many years, having spent tens of thousands on flights, and even I only got upgraded to First once! (Heavily pregnant, showed my doctor's letter to the check-in lady, then we joked about my swollen ankles (prompted by lovely DH saying "Shrek called - he wants his feet back". hmm ) When I got to the gate, they tore my boarding pass up and whisked me left. Love Emirates for that!)

So no, the value of a first class (or business class) ticket is way more than "a couple of hundred on your economy ticket" even without the unlimited booze and extra space. It's a totally different product.

MotherofSausage Mon 25-Sep-17 14:50:00

I think you could make a much stronger argument for trains. It doesn't make any sense to me that first class can be (almost) empty but people in economy are sat on the floor outside the toilets in between carriages.

It used to be the case (Passengers' Charter?) that if economy was full but there were seats in first, they had to let you have the seat. I used to quote that authoritatively to many Virgin Train managers!

Bisquick Mon 25-Sep-17 14:50:02

I pay and/or use miles for business class (again, quite pregnant and uncomfortable), and it really is worth a lot more than "an extra £200". Even if all you're drinking is sparkling water!

If they were doing that at checkin, then I and everyone else would also just buy economy and then pay for an upgrade at checkin ;)

monkeywithacowface Mon 25-Sep-17 14:53:03

I'm a poor pleb but if I had the money I would pay to fly away from all the other plebs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now