Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Annie's song by John Denver

(19 Posts)
ShizzleYoDrizzle Mon 25-Sep-17 13:39:29

You know that saccahrine, bit sickly sweet love song about nights spent in forests and the mountains in springtime? Well it turns out he tried to throttle Annie, and he used a chainsaw to cut their marital bed in two.

You think you know a crooner and then Wikipedia sets you right.

NearLifeExperience Mon 25-Sep-17 13:58:34

Any song as sickly and OTT as that surely had to be a case of someone protesting too much, though. He was clearly feeling guilty about something and overcompensating by far. Croony git.

SuffolkBumkin Mon 25-Sep-17 14:01:32

I watched a documentary, and Annie said that so many couples approached her to say it was their wedding song. But she had to smile sweetly whilst knowing he wrote it out of guilt for cheating on her.

MeganChips Mon 25-Sep-17 14:01:55

What, no! I have very fond memories of singing that with my Mum so I refuse to believe it shock

I just looked on Wikipedia but can't see that reference?

ShizzleYoDrizzle Mon 25-Sep-17 14:13:12

It's here under the Personal Life section Megan.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Denver

Maudlinmaud Mon 25-Sep-17 14:17:24

Oh my days! We sing that in mass shock

PickAChew Mon 25-Sep-17 14:25:47

I love the way the article lists all his humanitarian activities before it lists all the ways in which he was a drunken violent arsehole.

SistersOfPercy Mon 25-Sep-17 14:27:53

For me Annies song is a beautiful song my Mum used to sing to me at night, I grew up with John Denver, Mum was a huge fan. So many memories with it, and I can't actually hear it yet without tears as Mum died earlier this year.
Knowing the truth can't change those memories for me.

WaitrosePigeon Mon 25-Sep-17 14:35:38

Ha I walked down the aisle to that!

Maudlinmaud Mon 25-Sep-17 14:38:52

Is John Denver the country roads and I'm leaving on a jet plane, don't know when I'll be back again singer man? Do I want to know the secret meaning to those?

ShizzleYoDrizzle Mon 25-Sep-17 14:49:57

Yes.

He probably threw someone off the jet plane cackling as they plunged to their death.

Titsywoo Mon 25-Sep-17 14:52:47

Oh dear. That was my nans favourite song and we played it at her funeral. Oh well it doesn't really matter. It's the memories of what a song means to you not what it means to the person who wrote it that matters smile

KatherinaMinola Mon 25-Sep-17 14:55:01

Oh man. I wish I didn't know that.

Maudlinmaud Mon 25-Sep-17 14:56:43

Shizzle grin he's a maniac in cowboy boots. not even sure he wears cowboy boots but it's a funny image

Gingernaut Mon 25-Sep-17 14:59:11

He's dead.

Died in a plane crash.

ShizzleYoDrizzle Mon 25-Sep-17 15:01:06

It's the memories of what a song means to you not what it means to the person who wrote it that matters

Absolutely. If we only listened to the music of upstanding citizens we'd be stuck listening to Vera Lynn and Aled Jones.

KurriKurri Mon 25-Sep-17 15:03:51

You mean you haven't heard what Vera gets up to Shizzle.......??shock

Maudlinmaud Mon 25-Sep-17 15:07:07

Ginger I think I knew that somewhere deep in my subconscious. He had nice hair too I seem to recall.

Orchardgreen Mon 25-Sep-17 15:07:54

I used to love Police's Every breath that you take, until someone commented it was creepy and sounded like stalking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now