Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Braces - bonjela - not for under 16s?

(27 Posts)
Hayesking Mon 25-Sep-17 11:45:41

dd is having braces fitted today and they will be quite severe. I was thinking of buying some bonjela as someone recommended it to me for any rubbing and pain. But the info says you MUST be over 16 to use it? I am sure I used it as a child? She's only 11.

ghostyslovesheets Mon 25-Sep-17 11:47:38

you can buy a kids version

the adult version has asprin I think which is why kids can't use it

dementedpixie Mon 25-Sep-17 11:47:44

There is a baby version for teething that is ok under 16. My dd hasn't had rubbing with hers. You can buy wax to put over the brackets to stop rubbing. The orthodontist will sell it

SumThucker Mon 25-Sep-17 11:48:21

It's a teething gel bongela for young ones.

Hayesking Mon 25-Sep-17 11:49:16

Ah thanks I will look for the kids version.

I think I am more worried about them than she is

SoupDragon Mon 25-Sep-17 11:49:29

DD (11) had ulcers and the pharmacist gave her something called Igluu. She had pastilles to hold against the ulcer but I think there's a gel too.

Maudlinmaud Mon 25-Sep-17 11:49:40

YY there are two versions. But the wax is excellent

Ethelswith Mon 25-Sep-17 11:50:30

Pack info leaflet (for the cool mint gel version) includes:

"Do not
• give to children or adolescents under 16 years of age. This is because there is a possible link between salicylates and Reye's syndrome when given to children. Reye's syndrome is a very rare disease which affects the brain and liver and can be fatal."

Reye's risk is the reason you no longer give aspirin to children, and that's something that changed since I was a child (when aspirin was my parents' painkiller of choice). Guidelines change as realisable evidence is amassed.

Could you try the teething gel?

Or ask the orthodontist for advice?

And have you got wax?

Hayesking Mon 25-Sep-17 11:50:53

ooh iglu sounds useful. Thanks soupy

SoupDragon Mon 25-Sep-17 11:51:18

I've just googled and iglu is suitable for ag 7 and up.

Hayesking Mon 25-Sep-17 11:51:39

she's having them fitted this afternoon and I know they sell the wax . I might even have some left over from dd1 but it will be a bit old by now!

Ginandplatonic Mon 25-Sep-17 11:51:45

My son got them on the other day. He hasn't had any rubbing, but the orthodontist gave him wax just in case. His teeth were pretty sore and he needed regular paracetamol and ibuprofen for a couple of days, but they settled fairly quickly.

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Mon 25-Sep-17 11:53:56

Dd got hers fitted on Thursday and the dentist told her NOT to use bonjela

I can't remember why

AnnieOH1 Mon 25-Sep-17 11:55:48

Anbesol liquid (not the gels) knocks everything else out in my experience. Its suitable from birth.

freshlemons Mon 25-Sep-17 12:03:23

Use the wax! You nip a bit off, roll it into a ball and press it on the bit where it rubs. Also can deffo recommend Igluu. Its great.

carrie74 Mon 25-Sep-17 12:31:06

This has been timely, DD had hers fitted this morning. She was given wax, and so far feels great (especially since I gave her the day off as she told me all her friends were in so much pain....). She’s not needed pain relief yet but I’m sure it’ll come and I’ll send her into school tomorrow dosed up and with some spare paracetamol.

dementedpixie Mon 25-Sep-17 12:33:27

My dd never needed pain relief until she got her wire changed recently to the thickest one. Prior to that she had wire changes with no issues.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 25-Sep-17 12:34:43

The wax is great as is Anbesol.

Also keep an eye as it's common for the teeth to move really quickly initially and you need to go back and get the wires trimmed. No one tells you this initially ime! We had to go back within the first week and always at least once in between the regular 8week appts. Thank goodness the Orthodontist was only ten mins away!

dementedpixie Mon 25-Sep-17 12:36:30

In contrast I've never had to take dd in between normal appointments. Once a bracket came off but it waited until the next appointment as it wasnt causing any problems

Hayesking Mon 25-Sep-17 13:40:32

Im not really worried about the braces, but shes got have bite block things stuck behind her front teeth as she has an overbite. I'm really stressing taht she wont be able to speak properly

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 25-Sep-17 13:44:50

I think it's pretty tough to start with tbh but they get used to it quickly. No experience with ds but a friend's daughter had blocks.

Hayesking Mon 25-Sep-17 13:48:16

they aren't the large blocks at the side, they are little tiny ones stuck on the back of her back teeth. Hopefully it wont be as bad as i fear!

dementedpixie Mon 25-Sep-17 13:48:47

My dd had a block top brace to stay with. The first day was horrible as she couldn't eat with it in and i let her take it out to eat her dinner. She did get used to it and managed too eat with it in too. Speaking was also tricky at first and she produced a lot of saliva! Thought she was going to throw up in the first 15 minutes after it was fitted but she managed not to

dementedpixie Mon 25-Sep-17 13:50:09

Maybe different blocks then? Dds was a removable top brace but it was to change her bite too

PolarBearGoingSomewhere Mon 25-Sep-17 13:52:16

Another suggestion of Anbesol liquid. Fabulous stuff for brace-related ulcers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now