Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How sick does your child need to be to stay off school?

(9 Posts)
womaninatightspot Mon 25-Sep-17 11:12:10

Poor DS (age 7) has had a throat thing for over a week. Bit red at the back of the throat swollen glands but no real temp or cough. I've been sending him to school and he generally seems his usual bouncy, noisy self after Calpol.

It does seem a bit mean to send him to school but you can't keep them at home for more than a week every time they get a sore throat surely? We did have a quiet weekend but it didn't seem to make much difference and he wasn't keen on resting up on the sofa even with cartoons.

If it was his younger brother (school nursery age) I'd probably keep him off though as four seems a bit young to have to suck it up and keep going. Just wondered what other people did really?

CruCru Mon 25-Sep-17 11:14:10

How is he before he has Calpol? If he just has a cough but is happy enough then I'd send him. If he is actually quite unwell (and has been for a week), then I'd take him to the doctor.

Wolfiefan Mon 25-Sep-17 11:15:03

Vomit or upset stomach.
Temperature.
Migraine type headache.
Not a sore throat. Especially not if they are their "normal bouncy self". If they are acting as normal then they're well enough to carry on as normal.
Not sure why sending them to school is "mean". Unless they feel truly terrible once Calpol had worn off.

FeedMeAndTellMeImPretty Mon 25-Sep-17 11:16:41

I think the trouble with threat things is that they often affect the rest of your body too, but the throat is the most noticeable symptom.

I always just give my kids calpol and Strepsils but it's not until I catch it myself that I realise it also makes me ache all over and makes me tired!

To be honest, I make them battle through a day or two then usually give them a duvet day is they still feel bad after 2/3 days, but I work at home so it's not such a bind. For parents who work outside the home it must be hard to decide when it's bad enough for a day off.

I guess the biggest problem is by sending them to school they spread it around and everyone ends up ill. I remember reading that if a sore throat lasts more than 24 hours you should see a doctor as strep is a horrid bacteria that can cause all sorts of nasty things, but it just feels a bit frivolous going to the GP every time they get a sore throat which usually goes away if it's own accord anyway.

womaninatightspot Mon 25-Sep-17 11:24:29

He doesn't have a cough just the throat thing. The pharmacist had a look at the weekend and said it's swollen but not infected. Recommended throat spray/ painkiller and ice lollies! I think he does have moments of grimness, headache/ general achiness which Calpol seems to deal with but he's not consistently feeling grim just every now and again if that makes sense.

Twofishfingers Mon 25-Sep-17 11:32:45

It depends really. I have found over the years that when my now 11 years old has a bad cough, it will probably lead to something worst (a bad cold or tonsillitis) if I send him to school. If I keep him home for the first day or two his subsequent cold is less bad and he doesn't get tonsillitis. But it's up to you most parents wouldn't keep a child home for a sore throat.

Floellabumbags Mon 25-Sep-17 11:35:48

Mine are both streaming with a cold and have hacking coughs and I feel like a terrible mum for sending them in but my youngest was off last week with a vomiting bug so I felt like I had to send them.

womaninatightspot Mon 25-Sep-17 11:38:49

I'm SAHM so not a bind to have him at home but he'd probably just bounce around with his sisters (toddlers) rather than have an actual rest.

I did check the NHS website and they said see the doctor after a week so have made an appointment for Wednesday. It does feel a bit frivolous though blush. I think I feel mean as he generally seems a bit worse now than he was last week so pushing through is perhaps not helping but neither did the lazy weekend.

I keep dd1 off quite quickly because over winter she got very ill for a long period of time. Her doctor eventually perscribed bedrest to let her immune system recover. So I err on the side of caution now.

It also depends what lessons they have that day. Dd1 was feeling under the weather on Friday and I know Fridays she has two hours swimming and two hours religious education (which she doesn't take part in so does other things for two hours) so I let her stay at home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now