Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

First sun holiday with kids; what toys should I bring?

(23 Posts)
ipsofatto234 Mon 25-Sep-17 10:35:00

We have 2 kids (age 4 and 7) and going on our first ever resort holiday in Oct half term. We're all v excited and I'm hoping they'll do kids club for an hour or 2 a day and that the pools etc. will keep them occupied most of the time.

However, what things should I bring to keep us all entertained for round the pool/at restaurants/on the transfer coach/lounging around - apart from an iPad! I'm thinking small lego set, sticker books, small games like Dobble etc.

What toys/games do you bring on hols with you for your kids?

ipsofatto234 Mon 25-Sep-17 18:23:18

anyone?

Katedotness1963 Mon 25-Sep-17 18:30:56

If you take pool inflatable toys keep an eye on them, we've lost a fortune in those over the years. Drawing paper and pencils or crayons. Stickers (remove the background paper so it's easier for the kids, you're not bothered every five seconds to take them off the paper). Buy some comics and set them aside. Cards for concentration. Childrens Yahtzee?

On Pinterest there were ideas for little game sets to make inside tins, the kind you get mints in. like paper fish with a paper clip on and then a magnet on a string to go "fishing".

JigglyTuff Mon 25-Sep-17 18:43:40

Go to Poundland and buy loads of cheap toys. Then it doesn't matter if you lose a bit on the plane or the bus.

I'd go for Top Trumps for round the pool (cheap and again, doesn't matter if you lose a card or two), a cheap set of felt tips and some colouring books, a small lego set also good but pack it in your hold luggage!

Ohoh Mon 25-Sep-17 19:02:28

I would recommend the figures from the Busy Books Asda do them, loads of different ones, marvel, cars, my little pony, paw patrol etc. Think they were about £5 each.

I thought they were great we took two sets just in a food bag, they were great And where played with loads and easy to carry about.

ipsofatto234 Mon 25-Sep-17 20:31:57

Brilliant ideas - thanks very much! I'll be at Poundland and Asda at the weekend. Brainwave re the comics - can start buying them now so we have a few ready to go. Ideal as we don't have to bring them home afterwards too. Good tip re inflatables!

Smartiepants79 Mon 25-Sep-17 20:36:21

My 2 are the same age and we've just done a sunshine/pool holiday.
The only things I took that got any attention were
- colouring/drawing stuff
- easy card games
- books
and that was about it. None of the 'toys' got noticed really.
It does depend on your child obviously. My 2 would sit and draw for hours at home too.

Alabasterangel6 Mon 25-Sep-17 20:50:22

Mine are not dissimilar in age and we've not long come back from a holiday. Being very anal I made a list last year ready for this year and I'll use it again next year.

I packed a very small backpack for each for the plane and other than that there were NO other toys taken. Inside the bag was their choice of small bedtime ted, then a sticker book, a colouring book, a very small set of pencils, and snacks - twiglets/cheddars/raisins and a small sweet treat which took time to eat on the plane (smarties I think) and I packed and squirreled similar in the main luggage for return. I also shared out 'pass the pigs', dobble (this is amazing as you know and we played it every night before supper too!), top trumps, magnetic hangman, magnetic snakes and ladders. All very small and light.

In the luggage I packed a pool noodle round the inside perimeter of the two cases and the smallest bucket and spade I could buy, stuffed with pants and socks to save space. I also packed sinking pool weights - and zog flippers, goggles and a 99p blow up ball, a pocket kite, and a 'what to find at the seaside' book. Downloaded 4 stories on my own kindle for bed (never used them).

Before supper at night we played dobble or pass the pigs or trumps. Or they did colouring. Or wrote on a postcard. They were not bored for one second of the whole holiday.

Other notes I took were to take rash suits for both, that boots 3 hour water play soltan is awful to apply, and to take plenty of hats and tshirts that cover shoulders. I also noted to take a clear beach bag to keep the buckets and spades separate. I think we also took a small set of toy bulldozers and diggers which went down well with both DS and DD to play on the sand in the shade with.

Enjoy!

dollydayscream Mon 25-Sep-17 20:57:13

Colouring
Little figures
Something to cuddle
Sticker books
Reading books

EskiVodkaCranberry Mon 25-Sep-17 21:24:27

Jenga!

We've had a moon ball I think it's called which bounces on water? That's been hours of fun.

Also take balloons because they take up no room in your case and cause no damage to TVs etc but keep little feet busy in the room when you're getting ready.

And not a toy but I always take cheap plastic ikea cups for water wine in the room at night

EskiVodkaCranberry Mon 25-Sep-17 21:28:01

And where's wally!

chanie44 Mon 25-Sep-17 21:29:27

I was going to second the pound shop too. Most of those resorts have poundshop type toys but with £5 shop prices. My children are the same age and when we go away, i raid cheap shops for toys to take away. I bought plasticine, colouring stuff craft items, dolls and cars.

Yika Mon 25-Sep-17 21:30:28

Joined the thread to say take a packet of balloons. A tiny thing but hours of fun. (Anyway I see it's already been said).

lionsleepstonight Mon 25-Sep-17 21:31:50

Uno is a great easy card game too.

Thegiantofillinois Mon 25-Sep-17 21:39:51

Dinosaurs for the beach. Just remember where you bury them.

I think there are a few still buried on Sa Coma from 3 years ago. My flip flops only just survived the last holiday. My kids are like dogs.

BeatriceBeaudelaire Mon 25-Sep-17 21:52:16

I remember my parents teaching us blackjack, pontoon and pocker as young kids on holiday and I’m still really damn good at it ( we played for pennies ). Also they’ll probably make a pack of friends and entertain themselves.

BeatriceBeaudelaire Mon 25-Sep-17 21:52:56

Also books!

ipsofatto234 Sat 30-Sep-17 21:07:50

Absolutely brilliant tips all - thank you! Genius to take noodles wound round the inside of the suitcase and BALLOONS!! of course! Hitting up poundlound on Monday :-) Thanks so much ladies!

LittleMachine Sat 30-Sep-17 21:27:34

See if there's a Facebook group for your hotel - people will post giving away their pool inflatables on the day they leave.

ipsofatto234 Wed 04-Oct-17 10:43:53

Would never have thought of that - thank you!

wheresmyphone Wed 04-Oct-17 10:59:49

White tack (i.e. Blue tack but white).....mine played with it like play doh for hours on plane but it doesn't smell nor stain.

ItMustBeBedtimeSurely Wed 04-Oct-17 11:04:37

Don't bother taking toys as such would be my advice. They don't get played with.
Just colouring books, soft toy for bed, maybe a couple of magazines bought at the airport. And a tablet with some films downloaded, although on our last holiday this got used once.

implantsandaDyson Wed 04-Oct-17 11:15:21

We’ve been going away since ours were small. We’ve always taken like people have said - sticker books, small figures (the ones inside the busy books) or whatever is cheap in Home Bargains/B&M. I filled a pencil case each with twistables and some crayons and bought a few cheap colouring books. Barbie type dolls were good for ours basically anything that can float in a pool or that you’d use in a bath and a small watering can - mine got hours of fun filling up a watering can and pouring over toys, each other, back into the pool etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now