Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Passport help. Mother isn't listed properly on my Birth Certificate

(262 Posts)
Liesmyparentstoldme Mon 25-Sep-17 09:33:25

My Dp's Df is trying to plan a holiday to Spain next year. However I think I may struggle to get a UK Passport.

Basically, my mother is not listed on my Birth Certificate properly. When I was registered. She stupidly let my father (an immigrant from Somalia) register me with his mother.

Under mother on my Birth Certificate. Is my Grandmother's first name, my mother's middle name, grandmother's surname, and my mother's surname under maiden name.

Its quite a mess. Any ideas? I was born in 1992 if that matters.

TippyTinkleTrousers Mon 25-Sep-17 09:36:56

Whatever you're registered with is, technically speaking, your name.

The only thing I can think of is changing your name by deed poll to what your name is, then changing your birth certificate to what your name should have been.

There might be a simpler way.

Fwiw deed poll is really easy and quite fast. Ours was done and dusted in a couple of weeks and you just need to make an appointment with your local registry office to change your birth certificate.

It's quite simple as long as you have the time.

CotswoldStrife Mon 25-Sep-17 09:38:46

Tippy, it's not the OP's name that is wrong on the birth certificate, but her mother's!

abbsisspartacus Mon 25-Sep-17 09:39:08

Do you mean where it says mother your nans name is ?

Were they married?

honeysucklejasmine Mon 25-Sep-17 09:39:13

You can get birth certificates ammended I think, but I'm not sure how.

Pixey53 Mon 25-Sep-17 09:39:31

I would speak to the passport office and the registrar's office to see what they suggest

dementedpixie Mon 25-Sep-17 09:39:38

It's not the Ops name that is the issue, it's the name given as her mother that's the problem

Winteriscomingneedmorewood Mon 25-Sep-17 09:39:42

I would see a solicitor. . Isn't that fraud?

TippyTinkleTrousers Mon 25-Sep-17 09:40:00


Does that stop you getting a passport?

RJnomore1 Mon 25-Sep-17 09:40:26

Oh I see the problem.

I honestly have no idea but I see two possible courses of action:

Send off for your passport and see what happens

Or go to your local registry office, explain and ask for help. What was your mother thinking?

I'm sure when I had my babies in 99 and 04 you got a slip with mothers details to take to the registry office so that's really odd.

honeysucklejasmine Mon 25-Sep-17 09:40:34

Presumably your parents are married, as otherwise your father wouldn't have been able to register your birth? The marriage certificate might be helpful in correcting this mistake.

dementedpixie Mon 25-Sep-17 09:41:43

BastardGoDarkly Mon 25-Sep-17 09:41:47

Would that definitely be a problem? As long as you're a registered citizen I would've thought that's all they're interested in?

ZeroFuchsGiven Mon 25-Sep-17 09:42:19

That is really strange, why on earth didn't your Mum get it corrected as soon as she seen it confused

PotteringAlong Mon 25-Sep-17 09:42:33

I think you're going to need a solicitor here for advice because your birth wasn't properly registered.

MrEBear Mon 25-Sep-17 09:43:58

I would take it along with your parents marriage certificate and mothers birth certificate to the registar and see if they can amend it.

dementedpixie Mon 25-Sep-17 09:44:37

See link above on how to get it corrected. It does matter as op needs to give her mother's passport number to prove her right to British citizenship and that number won't match the name given on the birth certificate

TobiasToad Mon 25-Sep-17 09:46:28

You can ask the registry office to change it. They won't issue a new birth certificate but they will handwrite a note on the certificate and the register itself to correct it. I did it a couple of years ago as DH gave the wrong name for me (!) on DD's birth certificate. It took a couple of weeks if I remember right. It had to go off to a head registry office somewhere else for authorisation.
The passport office were fine with it when I went to get a child passport and had to produce all my documents as proof too.

dementedpixie Mon 25-Sep-17 09:46:35

In England and Wales you can apply for a correction to either:

the register office where your child’s birth was registered - for minor mistakes in a parent’s occupation, birthplace or address

the General Register Office (GRO) - for mistakes involving things like names

juneau Mon 25-Sep-17 09:47:26

Since this is your identity that has been entered incorrectly on an official document I think you need to speak to the registrar in your local district and get advice. You will need to get your birth cert amended and everyone on it listed correctly. You shouldn't just send off for a passport and hope for the best. This needs to be sorted out properly as it's going to be a problem your whole life otherwise.

Liesmyparentstoldme Mon 25-Sep-17 09:48:29

My parents were not married. I didn't think a father could register a baby without the mother.

Yeah I think it is fraud, unfortunately. Until I got a copy of my Birth Certificate a few years ago, for my provisional licence. My DM claimed she had never even seen my Birth certificate confused (It had also turned out my df had registered me under an unageeed name so I had to change my name my deed poll)

Would the easiest way, be to try and get my Birth Certificate amended?

AnchorDownDeepBreath Mon 25-Sep-17 09:51:11

I shouldn’t think that it’s going to be easy at all; but I’d start there - I can’t see you getting a passport otherwise.

dementedpixie Mon 25-Sep-17 09:52:28

They should never have been allowed to register your birth at all. I think you should try to get it changed or it will cause more problems in the future

Liesmyparentstoldme Mon 25-Sep-17 09:54:00

Thanks for all the advice. I will contact my local registrar to try and get some advice.

Snap8TheCat Mon 25-Sep-17 09:54:38

Thing is if you knew several years ago you are party to that fraud. You should have reported it then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now