Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Tonsillitis, help me survive next 4hrs!

(26 Posts)
confusednorthner Mon 25-Sep-17 06:19:09

Have felt rough end of last week, by Saturday morning I had yellow spots and by last night yellow tonsils. Nothing is touching it, taking alternate paracetamol and neurofen with codine but really struggling to swallow them. I'm sat here crying just swallowing saliva counting minutes to my appointment at 10. I might even have to throw myself at the mercy of the receptionist at 8 and beg for slightly earlier appointment .
Done salty water gargle , cant swallow any more liquids any other ideas please?

ny20005 Mon 25-Sep-17 06:22:09

Solpadene is the only thing that helps

junglie Mon 25-Sep-17 06:27:11

Difflam spray is good. IT comes with a little pipe you can point to the back of your throat. Numbs the area. Hope it gets better soon.

confusednorthner Mon 25-Sep-17 06:28:33

Thanks but we are back of beyond, will look for those at pharmacy when docs opens.

CanIBuffalo Mon 25-Sep-17 06:31:49

I used to get very bad tonsilitis and do this. Checked for current advice and this is from a GP website

Aspirin garglesmay ease the soreness. (There is little research evidence to confirm that this is effective. However, it is a popular treatment and may be worth a try.) Dissolve some soluble aspirin in water and gargle for 3-4 minutes. You can do this 3-4 times a day. Spit out the aspirin after gargling. (Note: you should not give aspirin to children under 16.)

CanIBuffalo Mon 25-Sep-17 06:33:01

link
Just so you can check.

Foslady Mon 25-Sep-17 06:47:48

Just about to come in and say gargle with soluble aspirin - what my GP advised years ago when I had the same

confusednorthner Mon 25-Sep-17 06:50:44

I need to keep these things in first aid box in future

Sleephead1 Mon 25-Sep-17 07:24:30

Op do you have a walk in centre ? Last time i had it i went for 7.45 am it opens at 8am they where 4 people with tonsillitis waiting. We all got seen in about 15 mins. Worth a look for a local one for you. I gargled with salty warm water really salty and also drank very strong lemon juice with water. So squeezed loads of lemon into a bit of warm water. Both these things helped a little. Hope you feel better soon

annandale Mon 25-Sep-17 07:26:17

I stick an aspirin under the tongue and let it dissolve. Be aware advice is to do it with paracetamol as risk of bleeding with aspirin.

bugaboo218 Mon 25-Sep-17 07:35:40

I hate tonsillitis. The pain is unbearable!

Difflam spray, soluble solphadine and ibuprofen taken together.

Ice cold water and ice lollies both will numb the area temporarily.

You could need antibiotics though

Snap8TheCat Mon 25-Sep-17 07:38:59

I’ve been known to gargle with vodka, also numbs the area.

confusednorthner Mon 25-Sep-17 07:40:50

Nearest walk in is a hours drive , I'm watching rubbish you tube and cat who's been out two nights has returned to nurse me. Couldn't swallow lime with honey and hot water so will try more gargling salt and need to try get kids to school.

confusednorthner Mon 25-Sep-17 07:42:20

If I didn't need to drive to doctors I'd be tempted by the vodka! Actually I could try a ice lily for breakfast

Crispsheets Mon 25-Sep-17 07:44:11

Oh poor you. I've been off for six days with it and have never felt so ill. I am 57 and was crying on Wednesday with the pain. And I've been alone.
It's gone on my chest now. I've managed 4 boiled eggs since Tuesday. sad

Mooey89 Mon 25-Sep-17 07:48:08

Long term sufferer here.

Once pharmacy is open:
Antonio (obv)
Difflam RINSE not spray
Tyrozettes (lozenges with anaesthetic)
Freezing cold lucozade
Ice lollies (I can't eat ice cream with it as it hurts!)
Drink lemsip with honey instead of trying to swallow paracetamol - get the max strength

Until the pharmacy is open - freezing cold water, ice if you have it, keep really hydrated.

Feel better soon.
flowers

Mooey89 Mon 25-Sep-17 07:49:11

Anti biotics! Don't know who Antonio is!

Mooey89 Mon 25-Sep-17 07:50:37

Forgot to say - if you can't swallow fluids and you're dribbling, you need a&e.

confusednorthner Mon 25-Sep-17 08:04:17

I've had it several times before but can't remember the pain reducing me to tears like this. I'm sucking crushed ice but hurts so much to swallow that I'm spitting the water out. Please let this doctor be helpful.

MiniCooperLover Mon 25-Sep-17 12:38:22

How did you get on OP?

confusednorthner Mon 25-Sep-17 16:27:56

I've never rated this doctor in the past but right now I think he's amazing! Once I got past snotty receptionist who 3 times told me she couldn't hear me despite the fact she knows my name as worked with me previously.
I've got double doses of penicillin and he gave me higher dose codine which let me sleep for first time all weekend.
His words looking in my throat were
" ewww that's really nasty"!
Gave me a row for not using out of hours, sick note for rest of week and strict instructions to phone if it gets worse or doesn't improve in next day or so.
Thanks for all the advice I've a new found love for the ice machine on the fridge and have managed lucozade .

PressForPancakes Mon 25-Sep-17 22:21:42

flowers it's horrible.

I froze little bowls of orange and apple juice to have throughout the day and night. It was more bearable than drinking water and kept me sugared and (more or less) hydrated.

IME when it starts to go, it goes very quickly as if it never happened. Feel better soon.

DramaAlpaca Mon 25-Sep-17 22:27:41

Sympathies OP, hope you feel better soon flowers

DS(24) is currently suffering a nasty bout of tonsillitis, his third in the last two years. He's been miserable for a few days & finally saw the doctor at my insistence today & has penicillin & soluble solpadeine. He says the solpadeine has helped already.

frostyfingers Mon 25-Sep-17 22:34:23

It's a horrible thing, I had it over Christmas/New Year and it completely poleaxed me and I was in bed for the best part of a week - I was crying with pain and counting the hours between doses of painkiller. Truly grim, I sympathise and hope you start feeling better soon.

confusednorthner Thu 28-Sep-17 20:27:28

I feel vaguely human again! Slept more or less non stop and the silver lining is I've lost weight. Really wish I knew how not to ever get it again, wouldn't wish this on anyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now