Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Surveyors: do they check every

(11 Posts)
BulletFox Mon 25-Sep-17 00:45:42

Skirting board, radiator etc? I'm just wondering if i have to move my bed sad

BulletFox Mon 25-Sep-17 01:15:07

Sorry, bump bump, quick question about surveying, I wondered if they went through absolute everything & how much disruption to expect?

StinkPickle Mon 25-Sep-17 01:37:59

No it'll be a person with a clipboard who gives a cursory glance at each room. In my experience.

BulletFox Mon 25-Sep-17 01:39:43

Oh that's like heaven, thanks

CadleCrap Mon 25-Sep-17 02:24:29

IMO they will barely even glance at your house, my surveyor managed to miss and entire bedroom.

BulletFox Mon 25-Sep-17 02:27:16

Even better! I was in misery at the thought of having to dust all the skirting boards smile

SouthWindsWesterly Mon 25-Sep-17 06:33:41

If it's a basic survey, they're checking to see that the house has a roof and walls.

Ifailed Mon 25-Sep-17 06:35:46

they may want to hold a meter against the wall to check for damp, so depending on where your bed is it may need to be moved.

PickAChew Mon 25-Sep-17 06:37:00

They don't move furniture, just take a picture and say it couldn't be checked.

Silvercatowner Mon 25-Sep-17 06:46:49

We had three surveyors as it was a company move. Two commented on the roof which needed a lot of work, and the 6' brick wall at the bottom of the garden, which was dangerous. The third didn't go outside as it was raining. TBH, the 3 surveys could've been about different houses.

JeffreySadsacIsUnwell Mon 25-Sep-17 07:01:45

Depends on what kind of survey, what has been paid for, and whether the buyer has any specific questions as well as the general attitude/approach of the surveyor.

The surveyor who surveyed the house we were buying gave us over 300 photos, including things like taps, inside of chimney, damp patch on end wall in loft space, broken switch on socket, etc, plus a 20-page report. He took most of a day at least (time stamp on photos). He moved some furniture, though much of it had already been packed up/removed.

The surveyor who did the house we were selling was also pretty thorough, took quite a lot of photos, asked a few questions. He did move a couple of pieces of furniture to check for damp - interestingly, in 'obvious' places where in fact we had had damp previously but we'd fixed. He was with us about three hours.

Both we and our buyer had paid for full surveys.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now