Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Immunity Boost

(39 Posts)
Soyalatteforme Sun 24-Sep-17 20:16:01

I posted this in Health, wondered if I might get more traffic in Chat!

A knock-me-down cold this weekend has invigorated my determination to boost my immunity before the cold weather season really kicks in; bringing further viruses to slow me in my tracks.

I suffered from Glandular Fever 12 years ago, which floored me for 3 months, and since then I have had diminished immunity. When I am tired/get a cold/ am stressed, my bones ache and I am exhausted. It seems endless lately. I have two children, work in a long hours culture environment with little support from DH during the week as he commutes and also works long hours, no family support, am studying and supporting extended family through a bit of a crisis (emotional stress for me). I have a cleaner once a week and am considering farming out the ironing.

But, practical answers which might give me more rest time aside, can anyone help with what I can do to boost my immunity? I do yoga a few times a week (at home in the evenings), don't eat dairy, mainly a vegan diet. I supplement with vegan multi-vitamins, EPO, and spatone. Sleep is probably 5-6 hours a night, but can't immediately change that.

Thank you 😊

Soyalatteforme Mon 25-Sep-17 07:22:57

Bump!! Anyone...?

Frith1975 Mon 25-Sep-17 07:35:36

It is not possible to boost your immunity.

Frith1975 Mon 25-Sep-17 07:38:59

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/science/2016/jan/24/health-foods-immune-system-colds-vitamins

sparechange Mon 25-Sep-17 07:44:04

You're taking EPO? shock As in the doping drug used by dodgy athletes to create more red blood cells?
That's outrageously dangerous

Anyone would feel run down on 5 hours sleep. Can you take naps during the day?

Soyalatteforme Mon 25-Sep-17 08:00:40

Oh no, just evening primrose oil 😂 For mood swings, nothing illegal or remotely dangerous!

Thanks Frith, that's depressing, will have a read.

No chance for naps at work......

5rivers7hills Mon 25-Sep-17 09:02:48

I don't think you need to boost your immunity, you just need to do a bit less!

You're working full time AND studding AND have young children with a husband who works away... sounds crazy.

Get cleaner 2x week
Get ironing done
Get DH to step up at the weekend so you can study then in peace and not have to stay up during the week

Poshtottykins Mon 25-Sep-17 11:11:18

Choose your health over trying to do everything - self care, good food and sleep are the only real things that will boost your health in the long run

Soyalatteforme Mon 25-Sep-17 21:20:30

That all makes sense, it's just been a bit of a crazy few years. I've already made some enquiries to double the cleaning and get the ironing sorted, didn't need much persuasion 😊

Does anyone have any credible research on whether supplements can 'improve' immunity. I read the link above, and I understand the article, but it seems that there just hasn't been enough research done to prove whether or not supplements can support your immunity. But that they don't/can't. I'd be interested as anecdotally, which cannot be completely ignored, although it should be challenged, people seem to benefit from 'immunity boosting' supplements....

nocake Mon 25-Sep-17 21:29:33

The question you should be asking is if it's a good idea to boost your immune system and you can answer that by learning about how it works.

Soyalatteforme Mon 25-Sep-17 21:47:29

I'm no medic, but I have more than a passing knowledge of it. Nothing I have read suggests it's a bad idea to increase my immunity response. I seem to fall foul to more than my fair share or ill health and I would like that to stop. I think I'm asking a valid question.

Fuzzynavel101 Tue 26-Sep-17 00:01:41

No links to research ATM, but perhaps collustrum supplements might be worth a look? I'm generally skeptical of dietary supplements as a whole, but that is one I'd consider if was a quality supplier.

manglethedangle Tue 26-Sep-17 04:30:15

Have you had your thyroid checked? Have you considered changing your diet? Vegan diets don't suit every one (I'm like death on one, even well 'bslanced' and with suppliments.

sunseptember Tue 26-Sep-17 07:06:06

Wash hands more frequently, hold breath when people cough and sneeze all over you..

5rivers7hills Tue 26-Sep-17 09:07:57

Wash hands more frequently

This is v good advice. Wash hands super frequently and really well.

Don't take the tube or busses.

INeedNewShoes Tue 26-Sep-17 09:12:24

I'm pretty certain that there's a relationship between how much exercise I do and how many cold bugs I get or how bad they are. My general health and happiness improved loads when I started cycling to get from A to B.

INeedNewShoes Tue 26-Sep-17 09:13:43

Also make sure you inhale through your nose rather than your mouth as there are more cilli to filter germs in your nose.

MrsAnamCara Tue 26-Sep-17 09:16:12

Get 1000mg vitamin c tablets, take 1-2 a day when you feel.unwell, look on eBay as they are cheaper, and make sure you get 1000mg nothing less

Thinkingofausername1 Tue 26-Sep-17 09:18:57

Hi
I've got low immunity. I'm trying to change my diet a bit and drink less caffeine. And drink more water.
If you are stressed, can you take some time out for you? That doesn't involve too much rushing about.
Flu jab would be a good idea and if you have low immunity, before the worst weather comes along. I understand how you feel it sucks when just a simple cold takes it out of you.

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Tue 26-Sep-17 09:23:44

My brother and sister in law recently said they swear by Boots Dual Defence, a nose spray, which you use at the very first inkling of an impending cold.
We were about to go away with a friend who had just started one of her usual really stinking colds, so I bought some, since I seem to get more and worse colds nowadays, and particularly don't want to pass them on to little Gdcs, one of whom has had recurrent bronchiolitis.

Can't say for definite that it worked, but I didn't get the friend's horrible cold!

specialsubject Tue 26-Sep-17 09:29:22

It isn't a bad idea to boost immunity, in the same way as it isn't a bad idea to keep unicorns. Both are just impossible.

Eat properly, don't waste money on supplements that just go straight through, wash hands, get exercise and fresh air. Get a flu jab and take vitamin d from October to march, the only recommended supplement for those in normal health.

meditrina Tue 26-Sep-17 09:44:21

Being malnourished has an adverse effect on many body systems, including immune system, so making sure you nutrition status is good is a basic but important step. Taking a standard multivitamin daily can help things along whilst you loom at and if necessary modify your diet to get more of the body's needs from food. Having more won't boost things though, it's simply a case of avoiding the sub-optimal.

The Pauling Institute did research into Vit C and colds (and they really are the place for knowing about this, as Pauling was the person who discovered the link). They found that taking Vit C prophylactically makes no difference to how many colds you catch, but taking at about the 1000 dose does shorten their incidence. I've heard him speak, btw, and he was concerned that the role of micronutrients/minerals is not as fully understood as it might be, so if you do go down the multivit route, get one with minerals too. And eat as varied a diet as possible.

My DMum takes echinacea, which has the reputation for improving immunity. No idea how well the evidence stacks up, but it's certainly not going to do you any harm and might do some good.

EdithWeston Tue 26-Sep-17 10:01:51

Get into the habit of wearing gloves.

Not because there's anything magical about warm hands, but because then you are not touching directly things like door handles, poles on buses, buttons on crossings etc. I also find that when I have gloves on I don't touch my face as much.

And whenever possible, wash your hands as soon as you arrive somewhere. But if you can't, at least gloves will have kept germs off you a bit.

INeedNewShoes Tue 26-Sep-17 10:03:36

Just a note on Echinacea that you're not supposed to take it long-term.

Lessstressedhemum Tue 26-Sep-17 11:01:27

I don't think that you can boost your immune system as such, but at the onset of a cold/flu type thing take either a high dose echinacea tablet or 1/2tspn echinacea tincture 3 times a day. Don't take it for longer than 3 weeks without a break. You can take a high dose vitC along with it, also not for the long term, just while you actually have a cold. if you have a cold, make a syrup of honey, onions, chilli and garlic and ake it 3 times a day as well, that'll scare the cold right out you!

The best way to make sure that you have a healthy immune system is to be healthy. Have a good diet, get enough exercise and enough rest. Wash your hands a lot etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now