Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Bloody shitty sinuses

(29 Posts)
PoptartPoptart Sun 24-Sep-17 19:48:51

Why is it that I don't ever just get a 'normal' cold, you know, runny nose, sore throat, cough etc.
Why oh why does it EVERY BLOODY TIME turn into a sinus infection? I can't breathe at all through my nose (but nothing to blow out) throbbing headache and facial pain, feels like my face is about to implode. FFS.
There is absolutely no point to this thread other than allowing me to have a self indulgent rant because I feel very sorry for myself.
Thank you for reading.

silverrings Sun 24-Sep-17 20:08:13

I have this as well, I went to the doctors about it and they prescribed me with a nasal spray that I take every day - even when well. It's meant that now I just get a cold and nothing more. Hope you feel better soon flowers

username7979 Sun 24-Sep-17 20:13:07

try the neti pot and old yogi technic www.amazon.co.uk/Neti-Nasal-Flushing-Guidance-leaflet/dp/B00N2YWA3Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1506280197&sr=8-3&keywords=neti+pot&tag=mumsnetforum-21

Make sure you use boiled water and no tap water in it. Since using it I have beaten sinus infection without antibiotics which I had to take every spring/summer

Freezingwinter Sun 24-Sep-17 20:14:06

I could have written this post. My face has been throbbing all weekend. Still waiting to find a magic cure!

PoptartPoptart Sun 24-Sep-17 20:49:44

What's the name of the nasal spray please **silverrings?

silverrings Mon 25-Sep-17 07:19:31

It's called Nasonex. As far as I know, you can only get it with a prescription but no other sinus relief things worked including steam inhalation with menthol crystals etc

BeBesideTheSea Mon 25-Sep-17 07:21:04

I wish someone would invent a teeny tiny drill you can use to go into your sinuses to relieve the pressure.

BonjourMeDarlin Mon 25-Sep-17 07:38:05

Do you have a vibrator? Try that on your face ( not a joke) smile

PoptartPoptart Mon 25-Sep-17 08:19:14

Lol Bonjour grin The thought of using a vibrating penis on my face to help my sinuses made me smile smile but I'm so desperate I'll try anything

Blueemeraldagain Mon 25-Sep-17 08:27:00

My DP suffers from this. He finds a combination of Otrivine Nasal Spray and Max Strength Sudafed helps.

bananafish81 Mon 25-Sep-17 08:31:27

Secret tip from a GP mate for the hidden sinus medication no one tells you about

If regular (full power pseudoephedrine) Sudafed isn't touching it

And you want to drill a hole in your head

Ask at your local independent chemist (Boots won't carry it) for ephedrine nasal drops

It's basically liquid speed

Goes like shit off a shovel but it's an absolute saviour for sinus pain

Might have to go to a couple of chemists to find one who'll stock it - I actually found my local said they didn't stock it but could order it for me

Cost about a fiver and provides blessed relief

Pharmacists won't ever tell you about it, but my GP mate said it's the best thing you can get without prescription (and tbh one of the best things you could get overall)

Boulshired Mon 25-Sep-17 08:39:25

I suffered for years, to walk into a doctor room for another reason who could hear how nasal I was and told me I was allergic to dust. I was equally overjoyed to have the pain go and angry after all the pain.

PoptartPoptart Mon 25-Sep-17 08:46:01

Oooh thanks bananafish, I'm definitely going to try and get hold of that.
Boulshired - how on earth do you deal with a dust allergy? I mean, it's everywhere isn't it?

bananafish81 Mon 25-Sep-17 09:07:38

This is what you're looking for https://www.weldricks.co.uk/products/care-ephedrine-nasal-drops-05-10ml

PoptartPoptart Mon 25-Sep-17 09:13:44

Thanks bananafish. Is it similar to otravine drops?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 25-Sep-17 09:15:10

I suffer a lot with sinuses and have finally found a routine that really helps.

Beconase nasal spray 2x day-keep this up for weeks not just a couple of days.

Steam using a steam mug at least 3x a day-cannot stress the importance of this!

When I cut back of dairy I really feel a difference.

smellybeanpole Mon 25-Sep-17 09:19:58

Just got over this. It's a disgusting illness. I use the nasal spray ,steam ,paracetamol and a wooly hat that covers all the way down to my eyebrows.

Crispsheets Mon 25-Sep-17 09:24:34

I use a salt spray. But am going to try a vibrator.
Is a wand too much? 🤣

FoxSticks Mon 25-Sep-17 09:29:22

I feel your pain literally. I'm on week three of a cold and am in so much pain. The sinus pain has spread to the top and back of my head and I can't stand up without this enormous feeling of pain and pressure, it's awful. Everytime I cough my head feels like it will explode. I called the pharmacist and said Sudafed wasn't touching it and she just said I could take Nurofen too. So then I had a cry about how awful I felt and made the congestion worse!

bananafish81 Mon 25-Sep-17 15:21:56

Nope ephedrine nasal drops are like an F1 car, if otrivine is a ford focus

Ephedrine nasal drops are much stronger than Sudafed (the proper formulation with pseudoephedrine, not the phenylephrine one - there's two different formulations of Sudafed tablets)

Saline nasal spray is gentlest, then basic decongestant nasal sprays, then the phenylephrine Sudafed, then pseudoephedrine Sudafed, then ephedrine nasal drops

Pseudo ephedrine is what they cook up to make crystal meth (as in Breaking Bad) hence why its sale is restricted

Ephedrine nasal drops are the pure form, hence they're essentially liquid speed

If all the basic and medium level interventions aren't working however, it really really does the job

PoptartPoptart Mon 25-Sep-17 15:58:22

Thanks! I'm sending DH to the chemist for this now

Madbengalmum Mon 25-Sep-17 16:05:45

Good advice, I m glad to have seen this thread. For me it is the painful spasms I get under my chin in lower face that is the worst.
Banana, I have been a Sudafed taker for the last few years and nothing, do the F1 drops just drop into the nose? Sounds a strange question but ive only been taking tablets and facial saunas for this!

LurkingHusband Mon 25-Sep-17 16:06:40

Friars balsalm.

Just works.

aintnothinbutagstring Mon 25-Sep-17 16:07:34

Love that its on MN that we all find out where and how to get liquid speed from! If you're getting green putrid snot (envy) and a slight fever though OP, you might need antibiotics. Always inflames my wisdom teeth too, even the one thats been gone for ages! Dont blow your nose too much, makes it worse, more inflamed.

bananafish81 Mon 25-Sep-17 16:41:46

@Madbengalmum yep you just tip your head back and squirt a couple of drops into each nostril

No pharmacist will ever tell you this exists and many chemists don't carry them. But completely licensed for OTC sale - as I said, I only know about them because a GP mate told me about them

Echoing @aintnothinbutagstring about the colour of your snot. If it looks a dodgy colour, it could be bacterial - I've had this once, and my snot was radioactive looking, hence I got antibiotics. Every other time it's been nothing out of the ordinary, just really bloody painful with a head that hurts to tip forward, jaw pain, throbbing head etc - the nasal drops were the only thing that provided blessed relief

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now