Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Doggy people please help. Dog has split dew claw

(7 Posts)
AnxiousOne22 Sun 24-Sep-17 16:29:32

This is a repost from my thread in the dog house. It wasn't getting too many replies so hopefully you lovely lot here can help.

On Thursday night I noticed my dog chewing and licking incessantly at her front right paw. This isn't normal behaviour for her so I went to have a look to see if anything was bothering her. When I put my hand to her paw she immediately retracted it and ran out of the room. She's really not normally like that some knew something was up.

Later, I managed to have a quick peek when she was lying beside me on the sofa sleeping and I could see her dew claw was cracked at the side. While I was observing it she woke up and yelped sad.

Yesterday morning I called the vets and the vet said to just leave it as it is, it will sort itself out and a new dew claw will push through. Today she has been obsessively licking and chewing at it, it's obviously hurting her. I'm scared she will chew a hole in her paw and make it worse.

Is there anything I can do? Is the vet right, will it sort itself out? Just seems quite cruel leaving her to suffer like this sad

Josiah Sun 24-Sep-17 16:48:51

What breed?

I'd tape it close to her leg to stop her licking it.

I've got three dogs and dew claw injuries make me feel ill. I'm lucky my Whippet's had theirs removed at two days old. The pug one has paws like hands so it's no problem.

Hope she heals well. If they're a problem I'd see about getting them removed.

flissfloss65 Sun 24-Sep-17 16:52:00

This happened to my dog. First time it mended itself but the next time the dew claw was twisted and we went to the vet. They clipped it and bandaged it.

AnxiousOne22 Sun 24-Sep-17 18:36:53

Thank you for your replies. She's a two year old yorkie and has teeny claws. I honestly don't think she'll let me near it to bandage it. Though strangely enough she let's the vet and the dog groomer near any time they need tohmm .

I'm afraid with the chewing and licking she will end up doing more damage, I told this to the vet who didn't seem too concerned tbh. Do you think I. Should ring tomorrow and just insist she is seen?I don't want her to suffer unnecessarily sad

Maelstrop Sun 24-Sep-17 18:40:48

She needs a buster collar or she won't stop. One of mine has split his dew claws several times. If it's exposed, it may well be very painful and should probably be clipped. You could do this, the guillotine dog nail clippers are great, but if you cut the quick, it will probably really hurt her. You might need painkillers, which are prescription only.

GreyHare Sun 24-Sep-17 18:47:22

I'd change vets and take her to a new one, my previous dog had very fleshy dew claws that got caught on things and cracked and split and were hugely painful and regularly got infected and needed antibiotics.

CakeBeTheFoodOfLove Sun 24-Sep-17 19:29:49

Take her to the vet (find a better one!). The claw needs taking off and she needs pain killers, antibiotics and a bandage on it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now