Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Is this a medical emergency? TMI post sorry but please need advice

(41 Posts)
Myfuckingbodyscaresme Sun 24-Sep-17 15:58:36

My period is due. I'm used to terrible period pain, as have a small fibroid and endo, and I started having a few small cramps about an hour ago. No big deal as this is commonly how my period anounces it's on the way.

Went to the toilet, and got a shock when I noticed it looked like the toilet was full of dark red water and my poo was dark. No blood at all on wiping. Does that sound like I passed old blood from my intestines though? sad

i still have the pain that I think is period related, but could it be something serious in my bowel? Could i have a perforated bowel? sad

Definitely no blood coming from my vagina. So what was the dark water in the toilet bowl? Fucking scared. Am I being silly or should I call a doctor?

Myfuckingbodyscaresme Sun 24-Sep-17 15:59:39

Oh, and have done nothing like drink red wine or eat beetroot so not that.

picklemepopcorn Sun 24-Sep-17 16:00:45

Before you panic, have you eaten anything different? I had a nasty shock after eating a whole jar of beetroot! I wouldn't worry yet, I'd assume it was something I'd eaten. If it gets worse, if you feel fluey, if you feel more extreme pain, then call 111.

picklemepopcorn Sun 24-Sep-17 16:00:58

Ha, post

picklemepopcorn Sun 24-Sep-17 16:01:16

That should have said x post, obviously.

AVirtuousLife Sun 24-Sep-17 16:01:22

You should definitely call 111 at the very least.

Etymology23 Sun 24-Sep-17 16:03:06

www.nhs.uk/conditions/rectal-bleeding/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Suggests a call to 111. Do take care with this, if you haven't eaten anything weird then I would be taking action.

MyPatronusIsAUnicorn Sun 24-Sep-17 16:06:08

I'd assume you have an anal fissure or something, wrt the blood. I've had them before and it has looked like a lot of blood but it's not been period related.

Bobbiepin Sun 24-Sep-17 16:14:44

Blood always looks like more in water so I wouldn't panic but definitely worth a call to 111. If its dark and def not period they will probably tell you to go get checked out.

Myfuckingbodyscaresme Sun 24-Sep-17 17:02:06

blush I just remembered I ate vegetable crisps last night that had some beetroot in crisp form in. Could that be the cause?

picklemepopcorn Sun 24-Sep-17 17:51:13

I would have thought it would take more than that...

Myfuckingbodyscaresme Sun 24-Sep-17 17:55:34

Oh God I feel really panicky. Medical stuff makes me so anxious, I don't handle being poked and prodded well at all. I can't face going to a doctor about this.

Myfuckingbodyscaresme Sun 24-Sep-17 17:57:58

I don't think it's anything like an anal fissure or a haemmorhoid because there's no pain around my actual bum, it's pain in my stomach, and also I always thought bleeding from them was meant to be bright red.

I'm so scared, I feel weak from fear. I cannot, 100% cannot go to A&E and have some doctor look at my arse. Survivor of sexual assault also and the idea of an examination has me close to tears.

SellFridges Sun 24-Sep-17 17:58:13

Beetroot crisps really can make your poo very dark. We have to remember when the toddler has them or we panic!

Userlavender Sun 24-Sep-17 17:58:27

It might be a fistula - have you noticed any weird vaginal smells lately? I think if you had a perforated bowel you would be in chronic pain. How old are you? Have you had bowel cancer screening? Any constipation issues? Not trying to scare you but whatever it is if it was me I would get it checked asap and then treated successfully - early intervention is best. If you're too scared to go to the doctors you will probably have to wait and see.

Userlavender Sun 24-Sep-17 18:01:11

Just saw your other post - fistulas can cause pain in your stomach - they are like a little tunnel of tissue connecting things that shouldn't be connected. Don't go to a and e - try your gp first thing in the morning or a local clinic. You can also use an online doctor service now where they give you a Skype consult - UK gp's. I can't remember the name of it but might help you get the ball rolling and they can point you in right direction

UserThenLotsOfNumbers Sun 24-Sep-17 18:01:54

Call 111.
Could be a number of things. Do get it checked out please.

Anatidae Sun 24-Sep-17 18:01:58

beetroot can turn your urine pink and poo a sort of reddish colour. I know it's given me a shock a few times.
I'd give 111 a call if you're worried - there wouldn't be blood on wiping unless it was a source close to the anus or serious amounts.

Probably the beetroot but with anything g like this, if in doubt check

Myfuckingbodyscaresme Sun 24-Sep-17 18:06:43

I'm early 30's. Never been screened for bowel cancer, is that like a colonoscopy? I don't have trouble with constipation. I get IBS symptoms on occassion which is always if I'm stressed or the first day of my period. Never worried about any of it before as always been this way.

Don't have any weird vagina smells either. I will look up fistulas though, they sound similar to endometrial tissue causing problems by joining up stuff that shouldn't be joined together?

leghoul Sun 24-Sep-17 18:09:02

It's probably the beetroot crisps or something small and low down for the water to be red, whereas if it were blood in your poop to give it a dark colour you would not have the red water and visible blood usually, it would be from upper GI. I really cannot think it would be a perforation, but something like a fistula or fissure possible
Did it smell weird?
Have you had constipation before?
Have you been taking lots of pain relief like aspirin or ibuprofen?

Myfuckingbodyscaresme Sun 24-Sep-17 18:09:33

Oh jeez reading about fistulas now they sound horrific sad I didn't even know they could happen! FFS the human body is a fucking nitghmare!

Userlavender Sun 24-Sep-17 18:10:16

@mybody yes look it up - but self diagnosing will make you either miss something or else make you hysterical with worry. 111 would be good to call - they could hopefully send out a female to check you out at home. I had a health issue before and similar history to you re abuse and it was really helpful. Main thing is to figure out how / who to see - then let them help you x

Myfuckingbodyscaresme Sun 24-Sep-17 18:12:17

No, I have no problems with constipation. I very rarely take aspirin, maybe twice a year.

I take different painkillers, paracetamol with codeine presecibed by my GP for my period pain.

No strange smells from my vagina, ever. Vagina seems perfectly healthy, and I've never given birth and have never had any surgery in that area.

Userlavender Sun 24-Sep-17 18:12:33

Ps fistulas are not that bad - their just granulation tissue - healing tissue. So if you get a tear somewhere in your body even a microscopic one sometimes our bodies heal 'too well' and build up extra healing tissue - this is granulation tissue and can bleed and smell. It is just a little tunnel that needs to be removed and sealed - if that's what it is. And can usually be done non Surgically with a silver nitrate pen. Don't panic - your body is letting you know something is up and you can get it sorted

leghoul Sun 24-Sep-17 18:13:32

I'd advise you to get checked particularly for
- bowel endometriosis which can cause rectal bleeding
-rule out fistulas etc
-rule out Crohn's disease (pretty unlikely given your history but a possible)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now