Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

High prescription glasses wearers help

(64 Posts)
foxessocks Sun 24-Sep-17 12:50:13

I'm so fed up. I feel like I've had this same issue since age 14 and I still feel like a teenager about it i.e. really self conscious. I thought I had found a solution in gas perm contact lenses but they have become uncomfortable. I hate wearing glasses because of the thick lenses that you can really see and my eyes look small. My prescription is around -13 both eyes. I feel like I'm the only person, when I go to the opticians they always bring in a student to observe as they don't get a chance to see complex prescriptions often!

Are there any brilliant opticians with solutions? ! I actually think glasses suit me but the lenses just make me feel so self conscious. I mean my confidence totally plummets. It's ridiculous.

MoreProseccoNow Sun 24-Sep-17 12:52:02

I've heard a bit recently about lens replacements, in place of laser surgery. It sounds very interesting & with less risk/side-effects/unknown.

foxessocks Sun 24-Sep-17 15:23:11

Thanks.I've looked into eye surgery but think my options are limited! I'll check that out

WaxOnFeckOff Sun 24-Sep-17 15:27:06

I'm presuming you already have the lenses thinned as much as possible? My DS is minus 8.5 so not as bad as yours but still quite a high prescription and he has astigmatism too. He now wears contacts sometimes but also wears his glasses - we just pay for the best indexation we can and choose frames wisely.

I know they are more expensive, but have you tried dailies?

Sorry can't be of further help, but you have my utmost sympathy - not being able to see is crap and expensive sad

Bintang Sun 24-Sep-17 15:30:43

We have opposite thing, whereby DS' eyes look enormous, because he's +9 in each eye. I had lots of friends at university that wore contacts and specs, because their prescriptions were so high. Would that cut down on thickness?

MoreProseccoNow Sun 24-Sep-17 15:40:58

I'm only -6 but wear daily disposable lenses, which are so much more comfortable than glass-permeable or monthly disposable.

I also get lenses thinned down as much as possible - so glasses are very expensive.

However, I switched to Boots contact lenses scheme & got the glasses 1/2 price plus collected advantage points - glasses were £150ish (designer frame) - so about 1/2 my usual price.

My elderly father (who has a similar prescription to you) got a lens replacement when his cataracts were removed. After lifelong myopia he no longer wears glasses. It's been miraculous for him.

foxessocks Sun 24-Sep-17 16:37:03

Disposables unfortunately don't come in a high enough prescription sad or af least that's what I was told last time

decena Sun 24-Sep-17 16:45:48

Consider lens replacement. It's not laser - I was too short sighted for this (-10.5). Lens replacement is more invasive surgery so does have higher risks but it's basically same as cataract surgery. I got accommodating lens which are moved by eye muscles so in theory, don't need any glasses after. I use reading glasses now, as I ended up slightly long sighted.
However, best thing ever! I can drive, ride, swim, anything. People who are not so short sighted just don't realise what it is like. I couldn't even find my way out of my own bedroom!
Expensive - £8k but worth every penny!

Twitchingdog Sun 24-Sep-17 16:46:52

I had high prescription lends and grew cataracts in my 40s so have had my lens replaces. This is operation you could look in to having done .,I need glasses for reading and a bit for distance as I still have my astigmatism. But it is -1 And +2 for reading . I can see with out glasses and it amazing.

foxessocks Sun 24-Sep-17 16:59:39

Thanks everyone just read through all the replies properly now. The lens replacement sounds great but unfortunately out of my price range. I did used to wear daily disposables but then my prescription got worse and that was that.

Disposable contact lenses plus glasses sounds like an option, a bit of a faff but might be the only way!

PurpleCrazyHorse Sun 24-Sep-17 17:03:14

My prescription isn't massive but I have glass lenses in my glasses as they were thinner than the alternative (and I can't wear thinned lenses as I lose my depth perception). Of course there's a weight issue and I don't wear my glasses for sport, but maybe an option?

Allthebestnamesareused Sun 24-Sep-17 17:07:05

I used to be -7.25 and -7.5 prescription but had lasek (laser eye surgery) 13 years ago and it is the best money I ever spent. they do interest free option if you need it. I was at the point where I had gone from disposable contacts to gas permeable and still having issue/infections. I also needed new glasses which if I didn't want to be bottle bottom thick I'd need to pay £700 for!

I promise it is the best money I have ever spent! (I did loads of research and went through Ultralase as they had the best success rate at my prescription and also turned away the greatest number of people as unsuitable).

knaffedoff Sun 24-Sep-17 17:18:49

Similar issue, loved my gas perm lenses but then acquired dry eyes, so over a day my eyes become itchy and red looking confused. Tried some disposable lenses, but couldn't read or drive in them. Considered lens replacement but friend paid £6k and initially loved it but still can't read with one eye shock so I stick with glasses, I always go to Asda as they thin the lens very cheaply and chose a small rectangular frame to disguise the lens.

foxessocks Sun 24-Sep-17 17:24:32

Pretty sure my prescription will be too complex for laser eye surgery...

I have heard asda do the thinning very cheap so thats an option if I get new glasses. I do already have my glasses thinned right down but to me it is still really noticeable how strong they are

Fekko Sun 24-Sep-17 17:27:34

I'm sure contacts come in prescriptions that high - my sister has one rather useless eye and she wore them until she got fed up me went back to glasses. They a bloody expensive to the the lenses thinned out but the look 'normal'.

MoreProseccoNow Sun 24-Sep-17 17:30:53

Yep, supermarkets e.g. Tesco cheapest for thinned down lenses. You can get online too, but I have done before & not so successful.

foxessocks Sun 24-Sep-17 17:35:36

I think contacts go to about -12 unless they are gas perm like I've got currently.

Fekko Sun 24-Sep-17 17:37:43

I think I read that they can go up as far as -14 but -10 is about as far as they advise.

Foxglove40 Sun 24-Sep-17 17:40:25

Why do you think the lenses have become uncomfortable? I have same issue as you and wear gas perm lenses for Kerataconus.

IHateYourCarpet Sun 24-Sep-17 17:43:32

I have monthly disposable contacts in a -19.5! And I've been offered daily disposables too. They're standard soft lenses, I found gas permeable ones made my eyes unbearably itchy and dry. Soft lenses may be worth a go?

I'm really sorry OP, no suggestions for your glasses sad

happybus28 Sun 24-Sep-17 17:48:56

Try using a independent opticians rather than a multiple. They generally have access to different manufacturers/types of contact lenses that go up to higher prescriptions.

SofiaAmes Sun 24-Sep-17 17:51:58

My cousin had very thick glasses with very complex prescription and he had the laser eye surgery and is thrilled with it.

foxessocks Sun 24-Sep-17 17:53:25

foxglove not sure my eyes are just really dry and tired / sore

carpet wow ok was that an independent optician?

happygood idea once I've seen my current optician about the gas perm ones I might try somewhere else depending on what the issue is. I go to vision express currently

foxessocks Sun 24-Sep-17 17:58:07

Think I'll try some eye drops in the meantime to relieve the discomfort and I'll have to wear my glasses for now and just try and feel confident ! Honestly can't believe I'm still stressing about this at my age...

WaxOnFeckOff Sun 24-Sep-17 18:01:35

Could it be protein build up with the lenses OP? I was always fine but my sister used to have to do a thing with a different solution to remove protein and you could see strings of it coming of the lenses.

I'd also try visiting an independent optician.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now