Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Unusual job perks

(133 Posts)
barrygibbscheekbones Sun 24-Sep-17 12:22:57

My first job, back in the early 80s, was in the office of a poultry wholesalers in Smithfield market. Every week I got a chicken (much more expensive in those days) and a turkey at Christmas.

I then worked in a bank. In the lead up to Christmas, so many customers would bring in a bottle of booze 'for the bank manager'. We would get literally 100s of bottles in and each week we'd be called in to the manager's office to choose 2 or 3 bottles from the manager's desk which was groaning under the weight of booze. Most years I'd end up with 4 or 5 bottles of good spirits, a few more of cheaper spirits, and 2 or 3 bottles of wine. Also, one of the bank's customers was chain of butchers so each staff member would get a parcel of sausages and other meat products just before Christmas.

Was just thinking about it and wondered what unusual perks others have had in their jobs?

EssentialHummus Sun 24-Sep-17 12:26:33

An inhouse shoe shine guy and lunch at Gordon Ramsey's every week confused but it was a shit place to work. Despite our very shiny footwear.

BumWad Sun 24-Sep-17 12:28:16

Nowt

HCP in the NHS

Don’t even get any biccies or chicks off patients as we are kind of hidden (even though we see patients)

Florence16 Sun 24-Sep-17 13:16:43

I work in the NHS. I've got colleagues who have been bumped up the list for things into last minute slots (too short notice for patients off site). Also MDTs have been assembled to discuss family member's cases with said family member who works for us they have been much more involved in the treatment plan and care. A weird perk, but a perk none the less.

DancesWithOtters Sun 24-Sep-17 13:23:59

Mine is slightly boring, but we get a full english every morning!

sourpatchkid Sun 24-Sep-17 13:25:51

We get loads of perks in the NHS! It's not usual but there is an NHS discount card. I've had 20% off at places like Nando's and new look etc just for working for the NHS

ObamaSelf Sun 24-Sep-17 13:30:44

I used to work in a factory which made paper tissue. Every 3 months we got packs of toilet rolls. They gave us so much I could share with my parents, sisters and parents in law! Nobody had to buy toilet rolls for years until I changed jobs.

GissASquizz Sun 24-Sep-17 13:31:47

Oral hygiene products and dentistry. Mixed bag.

EssentialHummus Sun 24-Sep-17 13:36:09

Every 3 months we got packs of toilet rolls.

grin TBF it's hugely practical.

Judashascomeintosomemoney Sun 24-Sep-17 13:39:23

Worked for a Japanese Bank years ago in the City. Tomy toy company was one of our customers and every Christmas they'd send their latest catalogue and let us buy toys at greatly reduced prices. A few years later at another bank, international department but quite small, we'd always get invited to one particular clients (lovely people who became quite good friends with everyone in our dept) Christmas and Summer parties, all expenses paid including hotel. It was a brilliant perk that everyone looked forward to.

WontLetThoseRobotsDefeatMe Sun 24-Sep-17 13:43:39

I was given a free leaflet about sex for th e over 50s. I'm an auditor...

AnarchyKitty Sun 24-Sep-17 13:57:37

I get to cuddle baby animals most days 😁

Spartak Sun 24-Sep-17 14:00:25

I got given some snails in garlic butter and a lovely bottle of red by a grateful patient.

LexieLulu Sun 24-Sep-17 14:29:18

I am an accountant, when I had my baby a client sent mothercare vouchers.

At Christmas I've occasionally got chocolates

LexieLulu Sun 24-Sep-17 14:30:03

Although we do get vouchers for a hairdressers/client, only I'm faithful to my hairdresser so never use them

pleasestopsnoring Sun 24-Sep-17 14:30:34

Long weekend in spain, all inclusive, downside 300 odd colleagues go as well, my idea of hell so I take the extra 2 days holiday

Crumbs1 Sun 24-Sep-17 14:35:22

Nothing with a price attached. Ability to juggle all commitments and work from home with travel and time paid from moment I step outside the front door. Generous leave allowance and twixtmas taken without using leave. Autonomy. Lovely peers and the team I manage is brilliant.

disneydatknee Sun 24-Sep-17 14:35:57

My husband works in university halls and whenever they have new arrivals, the staff make up bags of snacks for the students. Crisps, shop bought sandwiches, fruit and chocolate bars. There's always tons left so DH brings the goodies home. They also hold tea and cake events where there's tons left over. Pretty much any event they do, we end up with loads of treats.

MattAffleck Sun 24-Sep-17 14:36:38

NHS. Free flu jab. Free medical opinions.

SparkyBlue Sun 24-Sep-17 14:37:13

My old boss used to own a swanky hair salon and I got my cut and colour done for free whenever I needed it done.

Frouby Sun 24-Sep-17 14:39:26

Used to work in a butchers so free turkey crown every year. As well as various other bits and pieces. Owner of business was a bit of an old perv and fancied his chances with me so I regularly used to go home with fillet steak, sirloin steaks and nice beef joints. I was a single parent at the time and dd was just a baby so steak wasn't generally what we had for tea so I used to pass it on to my mum for her and my step dad who had cancer at the time to try and get him built back up after treatment.

Dp is a builder so I have lots of beds for my veg on the.allotment made out of scaffold boards and pallets.

Maelstrop Sun 24-Sep-17 14:42:53

Some very sweet presents from children at school. And I'm not sure this is a bonus, but when they've had cookery lessons, they often want to share what they've made. Last week, there was a baking competition and I was given half a cake, bonus, I thought! I had a tiny taste and it tasted of flavoured lard!!

ChessieFL Sun 24-Sep-17 14:46:05

A free Easter egg!

shuttheblinds Sun 24-Sep-17 14:47:56

I worked for a brewery company, there was a bar in the office that opened at 5pm each day and served free beer. We also got 2 crates of beer a month.

GooodMythicalMorning Sun 24-Sep-17 14:54:21

Money for ice cream fron head office if we do well that day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now