Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Insomnia....any miracle cures, please?

(19 Posts)
swizzlestar Sun 24-Sep-17 09:47:08

For the last few months I've been suffering from insomnia, it's awful and I'm constantly exhausted.

I've always been prone to the odd sleepless night, but this is relentless. It started a few months ago when I was really stressed at work, but now it just won't stop.

Does anybody have any tips or miracle cures??? Thank you.

JesusInTheCabbageVan Sun 24-Sep-17 09:50:26

If you have time, just get out in the fresh air and walk for as long as you can. Literally all day if possible. Works better than sleeping pills for me.

TheEmojiFormerlyKnownAsPrince Sun 24-Sep-17 09:57:19

I take an antidepressant to make me sleep every night. I had 20 years of insomnia before this and tried absolutely everything.

CoteDAzur Sun 24-Sep-17 10:08:53

My best tip is the Kindle. I set the light to very low, barely enough to make out the words in the dark. I read for a bit, sometimes more, until my eyes start to close and Kindle falls from my hands. And I drift off to sleep, thinking of the story I'm reading.

I used to stay up for hours, my minding ticking over every mistake I've ever done since the age of 5, and working over scenarios of possible future mistakes. Getting into a story at bedtime gives my mind something else to chew over, without the stress and adrenaline of personal angst.

ClashCityRocker Sun 24-Sep-17 10:12:05

Is it getting asleep or staying asleep that's the problem? I

swizzlestar Sun 24-Sep-17 10:14:12

Due to work and kids I wontcalways have the time to be out side for as long as I'd like. We do have a dog, but some evenings it's a quick run round the block. I try to get out at weekends with the kids and dog.

I do actually have a doctors appointment, but it's weeks away! Friday night I resorted to gin and Nytol.... I may do the same tonight.

I couldn't live without my kindle!!!! Dh calls it a candle confused, but as I suspect a lot of this is down to his behaviour too then he can basically shove it! I think I possibly need to rethink my reading to be something calmer, I do love a good murder mystery type book.

swizzlestar Sun 24-Sep-17 10:17:10

Clash, a bit of both but the majority is staying asleep. Last night I went to bed around midnight (late for me), went straight to sleep, but was wide awake by 1.30am. I went downstairs until 4am. I got a couple of hours sleep but kids and husband woke me up.

Branleuse Sun 24-Sep-17 10:23:32

Melatonin,
Red wine
Weed (indica)
Sominex (blue packet)

Miscella Sun 24-Sep-17 10:49:15

Magnesium is really helpful for insomnia.

StarryCorpulentCunt Sun 24-Sep-17 10:52:06

Amitryptiline 10mg. Prescription antidepressant that conks me out for 13 hours at a time.

BASTARDdryer Sun 24-Sep-17 11:23:13

Mindfulness exercises can help with getting back to sleep. E.g. Body scan or counting breaths to 10 then repeat.

And this book https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/140915761X/ref=mpsa11?ie=UTF8&qid=1506248541&sr=1-1&refinements=p27%3ADr+Guy+Meadows&pi=ACSX236SY340QL65&dpPl=1&dpID=51dQL1B9LcL&ref=plSrch

Talkedabout Sun 24-Sep-17 11:27:37

I do this thing on myself where I think paradoxically. I say - so you can't sleep? Who cares! Get up and draft some emails! Go and make a list! Use this time!

Then I make myself go back to bed. By this stage I've worn myself out and I'm ready for the rest.

I use red wine to drift off but it wakes me in a panic in the early hours.

Beamur Sun 24-Sep-17 11:28:05

I have very occasion bouts of insomnia, usually when stressed.
What works for me is no alcohol, swimming in the evening (I find it relaxing as it's repetitive and being tired helps to get to sleep) and only being in bed to sleep. No TV, no screens.
If awake for more than an hour, get up go to another room, have a drink, read a book until I start to feel tired, then go back to bed. By this time bed has cooled down too which is also helpful as I can't sleep when too hot.

mowgeli Sun 24-Sep-17 16:22:16

I take amatryptaline too, but it's for nerve pain. I take 75mg and it's amazing for pain relief and sleep. It's also good for anxiety.

I find booze stops me sleeping through the night as tempting as it is.

IVe also read about the sleep deprivation method of getting back on track with sleep. Basically don't go to bed and stay up as late as you possibly can instead of getting into bed.

PutTheBunnyBackInTheBox Sun 24-Sep-17 17:00:54

I take 5htp on the odd occasions I can't sleep. You'll need to check it's ok to take it if you're on any meds but you can get it from Holland and Barrett. They can give you advice.

shouldaknownbetter Sun 24-Sep-17 23:23:55

Melatonin. I'm an early hours of the morning insomniac, I can get to sleep just not stay asleep, 3mg quick release tablets are amazing let you nod off again but no grogginess come the morning.

Cruciatus Sun 24-Sep-17 23:31:01

Audio books. It's the only thing that's worked for me. I use my library or Audible. Pick a light book though with an easy to follow plot because you will fall asleep during the story and will need to find your place then next time you can't sleep. At the worst of my insomnia I would fall asleep listening to a story, briefly wake up enough to pull out earbuds and switch off ipod then wake a few hours later, plug in ipod immediately, back to sleep, and so on. And on. And on. But it meant I did get some sleep and having suffered from insomnia since childhood (30 years!) I don't anymore. (Unless I drink alcohol).

MiracleCure Mon 25-Sep-17 13:32:59

Thank you for this helpful thread!
shouldaknownbetter Where do you buy your melatonin, please?

swizzlestar Mon 25-Sep-17 21:13:28

This is brilliant, thank you so much! Will give them a try until I find something that works for me.....

I tried a tea, I think it was a Clipper one, and it did help me sleep but gave me the most awful dreams.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now