Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Child benefit forms third child

(38 Posts)
FloatingCamel Sun 24-Sep-17 09:08:28

Which form do I need to fill out for the third child? Just the additional children form or the whole original one again?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/child-benefit-claim-form-ch2

I don't think I'll get any benefit but it'll help my NI or something? Nothing like trying to interact with the government to make you feel stupid confused

StoatInACoat Sun 24-Sep-17 09:09:31

I don't think there's any CB for third children anymore is there?

BakerBear Sun 24-Sep-17 09:10:40

You fill out the whole one again. I did this for my second child who is 5 months.

You can get child benefit for a 3rd child but no tax credits for them i believe

FloatingCamel Sun 24-Sep-17 09:21:29

Thank you @BakerBear it's lucky I have plenty of spare time isn't it smile I'll get the baby to do it

BakerBear Sun 24-Sep-17 09:25:41

Even if your not entitled to child benefit due to being a high tax payer then you should still add them as this is how they get their national insurance number.

Crunchymum Sun 24-Sep-17 09:32:51

I too thought there was no CB for 3rd child +

Is anyone able to clarify or point me in right direction to find out?

C0untDucku1a Sun 24-Sep-17 09:35:32

www.gov.uk/guidance/claiming-benefits-for-2-or-more-children

dementedpixie Sun 24-Sep-17 09:39:42

You can claim for more than 2, that's why there's a form for additional children. Don't know if you get extra money for them though

Crunchymum Sun 24-Sep-17 09:41:26

Sorry, I just went and Googled.

Exceptional circumstances only for 3rd child (multiples, adoption, child having a child)

Do you still have to register 3rd child though? Sorry that wasn't clear.

dementedpixie Sun 24-Sep-17 09:45:50

Googling suggests you get child benefit for the 3rd child but other benefits will not apply to them. Yes you should register them as it ensures they get their NI number when they're 16

dementedpixie Sun 24-Sep-17 09:50:46

www.gov.uk/child-benefit/what-youll-get this does not say it's limited to 2 children

MirandaWest Sun 24-Sep-17 09:55:03

Tax credits are limited to two children.

Child benefit only limited on basis of parents income

PotteringAlong Sun 24-Sep-17 09:56:48

You do get child benefit for 3 children. Mine are 5, 3 and 8 months and I get it for all 3.

Waitingonasmile Sun 24-Sep-17 09:56:58

I don't know why people are saying no child benefit for more than 2 children. Child benefit is not limited to number of children. It is reduced/stopped based on income.

Crunchymum Sun 24-Sep-17 09:59:28

Interesting, it's really not clear.

I'm now part time so our income may out us below the threshold? Will have to check it out.

Obviously can't do anything yet (I'm only 22w)

Groovee Sun 24-Sep-17 10:00:11

Tax credits is limited to 2 children. Child benefit is means tested but you can still claim.

Crunchymum Sun 24-Sep-17 10:00:31

Your 8m old would have been born before the cut off date in April 2017 though pottering so yes you would get CB.

gamerchick Sun 24-Sep-17 10:03:27

Sorry, I just went and Googled

What exactly where you reading? confused

Child benefit isn't limited to the first 2. No idea why people are thinking that.

tickingthebox Sun 24-Sep-17 10:03:42

the cutoff for Child Benefit is if one adult earns over £50k then it reduces....

But two adults each earning £49,999 - full CB
One adult earning £99,999 and the other earning £0 - no CB

MancLife Sun 24-Sep-17 10:05:49

Overview
If you’re already getting benefits for more than 2 children you will continue to get those benefits.

You won’t be paid an additional amount for more than 2 children, unless the children are born before 6 April 2017 (on or before 6 April for Income Support) or special circumstances apply.

If you have 3 or more children you won’t be able to make a new Universal Credit claim at the moment - unless you are making a re-claim because you were getting Universal Credit within the last 6 months.

If you have 3 or more children and can’t apply for Universal Credit, you may be able to make a new claim to Child Tax Credit, Housing Benefit, and other benefits.

MancLife Sun 24-Sep-17 10:06:24

This is from the .gov website

gamerchick Sun 24-Sep-17 10:13:14

Right and where is child benefit in amongst all that?

gamerchick Sun 24-Sep-17 10:16:43

demented pixie posted the link above.

Eldest or only child and additional children. 2 different rates. It's perfectly clear what it means.

MrsMargeSimpson Sun 24-Sep-17 10:45:42

Oh this makes me so angry. Child benefit is NOT limited. It’s not. NO LIMIT. You do get less if you are a higher earner, which tapers to nothing if you/your partner earn over £50k individually. You can still claim NI credits. Each additional child gets around £13 a week.

Tax credits are limited to the first two children if a further is born after April 2017. Any children born before that date are still claimable. If you have twins/triplets etc after your first you can claim tax credits for them.

You fill out the whole form for child benefit, listing your previous children and current child benefit number to link them all.

The government misinformation makes me angry, it’s deliberately worded to confuse.

Viviennemary Sun 24-Sep-17 10:50:10

It is really worrying that people are misunderstanding this. So how many won't claim CB for a third child as they are confusing CB with tax credits.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now