Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Anyone booked Northern Lights as a package?

(15 Posts)
CanIBuffalo Sun 24-Sep-17 09:02:25

I've never booked a package holiday but I'm too busy to do the planning. I want to go in Feb half term to Iceland. Can anyone who's done this and loved it recommended a package please?

SisterMoonshine Sun 24-Sep-17 09:08:34

www.travelzoo.com/uk/deals/?&locationid=1115&ctfId=0&pageType=ResultsList
Someone linked to this yesterday which looked good, so I bookmarked it. Not had a proper look yet.

CanIBuffalo Sun 24-Sep-17 09:09:46

Thanks Sister Will have a look.

StrangeLookingParasite Sun 24-Sep-17 09:09:52

We did, for my fiftieth, last year, around the same time. No Northern Lights, and no snow, as the weather was not cooperative. It was quite disappointing, tbh.

CanIBuffalo Sun 24-Sep-17 09:13:23

Sorry it didn't go well for you Strange. I'm limited to that week because I'm a teacher. I know of other teachers who've had a great experience at that time of year taking school trips there. It's going to be hit and miss I know.

NannyR Sun 24-Sep-17 09:18:51

I think if you go on holiday to Iceland, planning to see the Northern Lights as your highlight, you will probably have a disappointing holiday. The weather isn't always ideal and they aren't visible every night, but when they are there they are breathtaking.
There are lots of companies that do trips to see the lights that you can book at your hotel reception if the conditions are favourable and if you don't see them you can usually go again for free.
I went at the end of January last year for four nights, there was lots of snow and the lights were visible on one night.

NannyR Sun 24-Sep-17 09:23:12

Actually, rereading my post, it sounds like I'm saying Iceland would be a disappointing holiday - it wasn't! I had a fab time, I think I'm trying to say that there are so many other brilliant things to see in Iceland so concentrate on those and if you see the lights then that's the icing on the cake of a great holiday.

Nydj Sun 24-Sep-17 09:24:42

I agree with NannyR, Iceland is a stunning country - if you go, you will see some truly amazing sights and seeing the northern lights could be a bonus rather than a probability. I have been twice and not seen the lights - the first time was in June so real possibility of seeing them but did see the midnight sun and the second time was last Feb when the weather was very mild so very little snow and no northern lights but had an amazing time both times.

Packergator Sun 24-Sep-17 09:27:49

The northern lights were the least impressive bit of our trip to Iceland tbh...the country is just breathtaking in itself- the terrain, the waterfalls, the history, the atmosphere, the food- it's magical (and I'm not a gushy person but I'd move there in a heartbeat if I had the resources). Can't wait to go back one day with our son. You'll have an incredible time!

We went for 3 nights and booked via IcelandAir and paid around £250 each for flights, hotel, 2 excursions. Heartily recommend it. IcelandAir customer service was excellent too.

Helbelle75 Sun 24-Sep-17 09:31:22

We had an amazing time in Iceland. I'm also a teacher and we went in Feb half term last year. We stayed 4 nighfs on a package and booked an excursions package which includes northern lights, golden circle and blue lagoon, and we booked a whale watching one as well.
It was fantastic. To be honest, the northern lights were the only disappointing thing.

eltsihT Sun 24-Sep-17 09:32:45

I have been to Iceland more times than (we have family there) I can count and have never seen the northern lights. We are going again in November (flying with wow air -£50 each way) there is loads to see and do and you will see the northern lights in the centre of Reykjavik if it's right for them or so I have been told.

I would go and enjoy the country and if you see them it's a bonus

LoniceraJaponica Sun 24-Sep-17 09:40:53

Yes. It was amazing. We went with Transun to Lapland and it was honestly such a memorable holiday for all the right reasons.

I believe you have a better chance of seeing the northern lights in Lapland than in Iceland because northern Scandinavia is right under the path of the aurora, whereas Reykjavik isn't. You need to go on a bus tour further north to see them.

We saw the northern lights right behind our hotel in Karesuando. We also enjoyed lots of snowy activities - reindeer sledding, husky driving, snowmobiling and cross country skiing.

The downside is that it isn't a cheap holiday, but we felt it was well worth it.

Also, in February you get 8 hours of daylight so you can actually see the place

CanIBuffalo Sun 24-Sep-17 10:34:08

Thanks for the advice everyone. We've chosen Iceland rather than any other country because there's so much else DH wants to see and do there. I agree that the lights would be a bonus rather than anything else.
HelBelle my older 2 DSs have been there with their school and DS3 is going this Feb. They've loved it so much, it's our turn now smile Must try not to cross paths with DS3 though. How embarrassing would that be!!! grin

CanIBuffalo Sun 24-Sep-17 10:35:19

Looking at IcelandAir later.

TeenTimesTwo Sun 24-Sep-17 10:37:35

We went to Iceland before it was popular around 30 years ago. Fantastic place, we toured around the coast road, seeing some amazing sights. Expensive though.

DD went earlier this year with college for 2 nights and saw the Northern Lights on her first night. Can't believe she was so lucky. First time they had been seen for a month!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now