Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Verruca question

(20 Posts)
Reastie Sun 24-Sep-17 08:45:12

Lovely topic!

Dd has a verruca. We have been using the OTC cream on it for about a week and it finally came off yesterday. She's left with a bit of a crater in her foot where it was and it's very red and sore inside said crater (I would provide a photo but I don't want to put you off your breakfast!).

I've never had a verruca in my life so have no experience with this. Whilst it's a bit of an open wound like this my feeling would be not to go swimming (she has swimming with school tomorrow morning). She also has gym where she will be bare footed and so I'm wondering if I put a bit of cotton wool over it (for padding as it's very sore) and a plaster to hold it in place she will be ok doing the gym bare foot, but maybe I should request she wears trainers or non slip socks until the wound isn't so open and it heals a bit? If it's open then all that grime on the school hall floor will get in and cause an infection.

I realise I sound like such a pfb parent I don't care.

Therealslimshady1 Sun 24-Sep-17 08:48:51

Why is there a wound?! Was the veruca skin bit pulled out forcefully?

Veruca is actually a virus, and hence may still come back/still be present.

Give it time to heal, and keep her off swimming for a few days

Reastie Sun 24-Sep-17 08:50:08

Well, maybe wound is the wrong term, but there's sort of the skin taken off and red/blood in the little crater which hasn't yet formed a layer of scabbing over.

AmethystRaven Sun 24-Sep-17 08:56:35

My DDs went like this, I was really surprised how much of it there was in her foot. It only took a couple of days to look normal again. See what it's like in the morning, you might be surprised.

AppalachianWalzing Sun 24-Sep-17 09:05:39

If it's come out the way some of mine have, it's not really an open wound- the inside of the crater is skin, just thin skin. So I would leave it unbandaged and keep her feet clean definitely not shove cotton wool in there, which sounds more likely to lead to an infection. If she's bled a little bit, that will pass- the 'roots' of the veruca can go deep but she shouldn't have lost a while later if skin.

I had a huge crater a few years ago, and currently have about four veruccas refusing to go anywhere. It may hurt to walk, but IME the difficult part is getting rid of them, after that she'll return to normal surprisingly quickly.

Reastie Sun 24-Sep-17 09:08:34

Thank you. She actually had it quite a long time before we realised it was a verruca blush as I didn't really know what they looked like blush which may account for it looking deep.

So she's ok to go bare foot on a dirty hall like this?! It just doesn't seem right.

Hasthebellgone Sun 24-Sep-17 09:12:47

What's OTC cream?

Try a verruca sock?

TheBiscuitStrikesBack Sun 24-Sep-17 09:15:52

You shouldn't have her bare foot anywhere with a verrucca, you'll potentially be spreading the infection to others.

Reastie Sun 24-Sep-17 10:19:14

Biscuit that's what I thought but the creamstructions say once the cream is on you don't need a verruca sock as it can't then be spread, her teacher backed this up.

OTC = over the counter

OhWotIsItThisTime Sun 24-Sep-17 10:24:38

What product did you use? Ds1 has had one for about eight months and nothing has shifted it.

Reastie Sun 24-Sep-17 12:00:01

Bazucca extra strong

Lifesastitch Sun 24-Sep-17 13:10:46

What Bazooka gel does is it induces - in this case - an extra strong chemical burn upon the the skin, the skin becomes macerated, falls off, and makes the surrounding area very sore. All verrucae treatments treat the symptom and not the cause of the verruca, because a verruca is a symptom of a viral infection.
As an ex podiatrist I didn’t waste clients money or my own time treating verrucae, almost all resolved spontaneously over time and the pain from the treatments was often worse than the verrucae.
If you are concerned about spreading the verruca then paint nail varnish over the top of it, if it becomes uncomfortable file it down with an emery board (then chuck the emery board), or cover it with a plaster.
Never ever pick at a verruca - because you can end up with verrucae on your fingers. Just leave them alone.

Reastie Sun 24-Sep-17 16:40:53

Interesting lifesabitch. So by not treating them and waiting for them to go they didn't spread over the foot? I've had warts as a child and they just spread and became more if I didn't get it seen to, and I always associate the two as being similar.

Hasthebellgone Sun 24-Sep-17 18:05:50

I actually searched "OTC" on amazon 😝blush

Lifesastitch Sun 24-Sep-17 18:54:25

Warts and verrucae are two strains of the same virus.
If a singular verruca has been present for a couple of months it is unlikely to spread, however sometimes you may end up with 2/3 smaller satellite verruca. Another type of verruca is a mosaic verruca, these are yuk, they can be 2/3 cm2.
By treating the verruca you ‘irritate’ the virus into action and yes things may get worse before they get better.
Most children’s immune systems are robust and still developing, they are generally very good at repelling/dealing with viral infections and verrucas are no exception. Children deal with viral infections quite easily, just think how adults deal with a another viral infection - chicken pox.
Leave them alone, they will resolve in time.

OhWotIsItThisTime Sun 24-Sep-17 21:11:09

What about a plantars wart on a foot, lifesasitch? I've got one and can't shift the bugger.

Lifesastitch Mon 25-Sep-17 06:03:32

A plantar wart is a verruca; Leave it, it will go eventually. See advice above.

allegretto Mon 25-Sep-17 06:10:52

But eventually can mean years. I had one verruca for 5 years and then it started spreading. In the future I would treat sooner as it took ages to get rid of it. I would also wear socks at the stage your daughter is at on a dirty floor.

Reastie Mon 25-Sep-17 20:46:08

Som out of interest, do warts go eventually? As a child I had these on my knees and hands and they seemed to just spread and get worse over time (as in months and months) and not one single one cleared up on its own.

OhWotIsItThisTime Tue 26-Sep-17 20:20:07

Thanks, Life cake

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now