Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

When did your periods stop and how was it?

(63 Posts)
MyOtherProfile Sun 24-Sep-17 08:39:46

That's it really. I'm almost 50 and still have really heavy periods every month. Surely they must stop soon??

ThoseCowsAreFarAway Sun 24-Sep-17 08:50:44

I'm 41 and mine are slowing down - for last 2 years or so I only get one every three months or so and they're much lighter than they used to be. I hope that they'll just gradually stop..

DiggyDiggyHole Sun 24-Sep-17 08:52:38

By 54 I hadn't had a period for a year, the year before that, I'd had 5 light ones, before that around 8 same as usual, just longer between. So, perhaps in the next couple of years...

Battyoldbat Sun 24-Sep-17 08:56:07

I'm 43 and mine have been changing/slowing since 41, finally stopped earlier this year. Although now I'm on HRT which gives you a withdrawal bleed each month, like being on the pill. 52/53 is the average expected age of menopause I think.
Cows, as you are so young, HRT would be recommended for you too to protect against osteoporosis and heart disease in later life

AnaVanda Sun 24-Sep-17 09:20:49

I'm 54 and only having one every 4 to 6 months now. Menopause not too bad so far. Having the odd hot flush. They come on suddenly and you feel weird and overheated but they don't last too long. I've bought some washable cloth pads as I find ordinary sanitary towels irritate me more and cause chafing. The cloth ones are so much gentler on the skin. To be honest it's been pretty easy so far.

LindyHemming Sun 24-Sep-17 09:23:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

justpoppingby Sun 24-Sep-17 09:45:45

Mine tailed off around age 47/48 ( same as my mums) got heavier but shorter, from 7 days to 2-3 over about a year then at 48 I had two in a year then 1 around 49-50 then no more.
Beware of reflexology though! It may be coincidence but I'd had none for 1.5 yr went on holiday and had reflexology and had a flipping period for the last two days of holiday! Very annoying. Then no more since. I'm 51 now.

Giggorata Sun 24-Sep-17 10:14:28

Mine stopped dead at 50. Weirdly clockworkian, if that's a word

DamsonGin Sun 24-Sep-17 10:25:11

Mine stopped at 41, which was much earlier than I'd expected. I think mum was later. Felt overheated for the best part of ten months but that's about it. I probably ought to look up osteoporosis and that sort of thing.

PussCatTheGoldfish Sun 24-Sep-17 10:37:37

Damson my mum's stopped at 44. She didn't go on HRT, but has osteopenia (diagnosed at around 60) which is a sort of run up to osteoporosis.

She now takes calcium supplements and fingers crossed it won't progress quickly. If you can get checked out it may help in the long run.

AwkwardSquad Sun 24-Sep-17 10:52:37

I'm nearly 51 and mine are irregular and unpredictable now - every three weeks or so but very light, then longer gap of nearly six weeks, then another one within three weeks but heavier and more uncomfortable than usual... Always short, though. The unpredictability is a bit of a pain but at least no flooding. Yet.

Josiah Sun 24-Sep-17 10:55:06

I'm also 51 but haven't had a period in approx 9 years! Lucky me as I had very heavy periods for years beforehand.

I had the lining of my womb removed that worked for me. Apparently it doesn't work for everyone.
I've been through the menopause.

AwkwardSquad Sun 24-Sep-17 10:55:55

Sorry, meant to add that I'm pretty sure I'm at the late stage of peri and I'm expecting them to tail off soon.

mirrorfear Sun 24-Sep-17 10:58:53

From the age of 48-50 they were crazy and very unpredictable. Then I had six months with no period and then a really light one. That was my last one. Have been period free for 18 months now

Kez100 Sun 24-Sep-17 11:01:42

at about 46 they went approx 6 - 8 monthly with flooding, which I only coped with due to the long-time in between.

I was 50 in July and am currently on month 9 of missing periods. Hoping this will be the one that goes over the 12.

ClinkyMonkey Sun 24-Sep-17 11:18:45

I'm 50 and haven't had a period for about 3 months. They were pretty regular for years, then after having DS2 at 45, they started to come every 17 or 18 days. Last year they started to space out a bit more and this is the longest I've gone without one.

IrritatedUser1960 Sun 24-Sep-17 11:21:01

Everyone is different, the first indication was a missed period aged 45, I was always as regular as clockwork.
I thought I was pregnant but the test was negative. Then it was all downhill from there.

ClinkyMonkey Sun 24-Sep-17 11:22:07

Just realised I have contributed diddly squat to this thread as my periods haven't actually stopped. I am, however, keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be really lucky and my period will never come back!

IrritatedUser1960 Sun 24-Sep-17 11:22:39

I meant to add periods stopped finally 5 years later but menopause symptoms went on until about 55. Are probably still going on but I'm on HRT as I found the symptoms unbearable.

RandomMess Sun 24-Sep-17 11:26:24

I've had womb ablation but still have light periods/bleeds. I'm 45 and they are definitely all over the place my mastalgia can last weeks or not happen confused

I really hope it all buggers off soon!

cricketballs Sun 24-Sep-17 11:27:10

I'm a month off 46 and having being sterilised years ago I pray every month that there will be no more! I have been having hot flushes at night and my periods whilst still regular have been varied the past year in terms of flow/length of time

Fluerdelea Sun 24-Sep-17 11:28:35

Mine suddenly stopped at 49years in November. Didnt have one for 9 months. I had experienced some quiet traumatic things around this time (best friend dying, an affair) and thought it was due to that as always quite regular. Then August this year bam full blown really heavy period with period pains. Waiting now to see what Sept brings.

Aridane Sun 24-Sep-17 11:29:22

TheFuckitBuckit Sun 24-Sep-17 12:53:57

Mine are very much similar to awkwardsquad they have been unpredictable for the last 4 years. Anything from 2 to 6 weeks apart, I usually have cycles of 3 weeks but periods definitely shorter and lighter mostly
Then I will get a random one that's heavy and painful. Last month was bad with full blown pmt which I haven't had for a while. Symptoms vary from month to month, I have been plagued with the night sweats lately which is not fun!!
I'm 42 so don't know how long this will last, my mum was 50 when her periods stopped and only had symptoms of the menopause for 3 months, I've not been so lucky!

deadringer Sun 24-Sep-17 13:01:45

I had only one or two a year from age 48 to 51, they would be very heavy for a day or two and then gone, 53 now and think I am done. At around 48 I started having a few hot flushes, still have one occasionally but other than that I am fine. I haven't been to the gp as I have had no issues.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now