Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Cosmetic dentistry

(10 Posts)
TweedAddict Sat 23-Sep-17 22:21:40

I've got really bad teeth. I've a got a gap in my two front teeth, a huge over bite, but worse of all since I've suffered hypermis in pregnancy (a few years ago) I've lost 5 teeth, had a load of fillings and my teeth are very sensitive all the time.

I want to correct them and not lose anymore; however I've no idea what to ask when I see a dentist. My own dentist doesn't do anything apart from normal dentistry.

Can anyone point me in the right direction

TweedAddict Sun 24-Sep-17 11:39:54


Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Sun 24-Sep-17 12:20:12

Sorry tweed ive no idea

Dd was referred to the NHS but i dont know how it works for adults

Dailystuck71 Sun 24-Sep-17 12:32:25

Your own dentist should refer you to an orthodontist but you can also go private and search cosmetic dentistry and get good recommendations from there. Always make sure you read reviews etc though.

LiquidCosh Sun 24-Sep-17 12:41:23

Hi Tweed, I've had loads of cosmetic dentistry done in the past. From my own experience, I had what was called a "smile makeover" which basically meant crowning all my teeth, having my gums realigned and a bridge put in where I had a missing tooth. I'm not sure what they would do to correct your over bite though any good dentist will be able to tell you.
I cant stress enough that you should find a dentist you are comfortable with, don't be afraid to ask questions if you don't understand and also be prepared to part with quite a lot of cash!!

BicyclesInBejing Sun 24-Sep-17 12:42:48

There are two main types of professionals that you should look for - one is a cosmetic dentist (in other words a dentist specialising in cosmetic dentistry) and the other is an orthodontist (deals with alignment and positioning of teeth). (Depending on how bad your over bite/jaw alignmet at the more extreme end dentofacial orthopaedics or maxillo facial surgery - think Lembit Opik type surgery).

There are various ways to get an improved cosmetic result - the main ones are forms of "falsies" - teeth bonding, veneers (fake teeth stuck on your existing teeth really) and crowns/implants OR moving teeth with appliances (Inman aligner, Invisilign or fixed braces)

The main thing you need to be careful of is that people often want a quick fix which may not be the best thing in the long run. Once you opt for any form of bonding or veneer - you are stuck with that and its upkeep for life. It maybe the best thing for you but it may not be. It could be that having some form of orthodontic treatment which may take longer would get a better result.

Again with orthdontoic treatment, things like Inman aligner and six month smile treatments are focussed on the front showing teeth only - whereas you may have a better dental outcome if all the teeth including those at the back are realigned.

Start by finding a cosmetic dentist practice local to you THAT IS RECOMMENDED by someone you know and can evidence proper training in latest techniques. Look for dentists who are members of specialist bodies, have written papers etc Also look for a practice that offers a range of different options (Invisalign, Inman Aligner etc). For orthodonists you want someone who is registered as a specialist orthodontist at a minimum.

Go and discuss the thing that bug you and what you would like fixed and they will give you options. If it is really clearly an orthodontic job, they should refer you to an orthodontist of their own accord (if they are good). But you should ask directly whether orthodontic treatment would be suitable for you and give you a better outcome or more stable result.

From the way you describe your issue, it's impossible to say. A gap is probably best closed with orthodontics rather than just whacking two big veneers or bonding on top - but then you say you have 5 teeth missing so this may be an implant issue.

FYI I'm not a dentist but I have recently had dental treatment of this type over the course of a year and researched it to death.

BicyclesInBejing Sun 24-Sep-17 12:46:53

Also this can be an expensive undertaking so it is usually worth getting at least a couple of opinions and finding a place where you feel comfortable and like and trust the person who will be treating you.

FWIW I saw 4 different professionals/ clinics for second/third/fourth opinions before making my choice. Most places will do a free consultation or charge a small fee for a preliminary consultation which they will deduct from treatment if you go ahead.

Ginfernal Sun 24-Sep-17 12:48:37

If you have any Oasis dental clinics near you, they do all this but it is charged privately

TweedAddict Sun 24-Sep-17 15:32:41

Thank you all. All my missing teeth are on the same side on the bottom jaw so can't be seen. To be honest I just want the whole ripped out and false teeth put in place. But I know that's not best thing in the long term.

My local oasis doesn't do orthodontist work, so it's going to be a travel.- but that's fine, I live in a very small town, so most things are a drive anyway.

I one thing I worry is the amount of fillings and sentivity I get. Is a cap something that goes over the whole tooth? And a vaneers is a stuck on front on the front of the teeth?

Does anyone have any recommendations at all?

Ginfernal Sun 24-Sep-17 15:39:52

For missing teeth , if completely gone, can have a bridge to replace. The other options are partial dentures or dental implants. (I use Oasis - going through similar and they do all this under sedation) Pretty certain they offer invisalign too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now