Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Ring stuck on finger- so painful, what can I do??!

(33 Posts)
MagnumAddict Sat 23-Sep-17 18:31:13

I'll start by saying I'm an idiot. My fingers have been swollen throughout my pregnancy so I haven't worn my wedding rings in months. Had my baby 3 weeks ago and don't know what possessed me but I managed to get them on today...

Immediately my finger ballooned and I can't get them off. I've tried icing it, elevating, fairy liquid and olive oil.

I think they may need cutting off sad

My question is if they do, where can I get that done? Dh wants me to go to out of hours at hospital but taking my breastfed newborn to out of hours for something low priority meaning I'll sit for hours and hours on a sat night seeing all sorts is not appealing!

I don't want to be stupid though. It's really quite swollen and sore. Do you think it will keep until morning and I can see about getting some kind of cutter.

If anyone has any other suggestions on how to get them off I'd be really grateful

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Sat 23-Sep-17 18:32:06

Put your hand in the freezer until your fingers go down.

grasspigeons Sat 23-Sep-17 18:33:21

I think there is a trick with winding string around or ribbon. Google string ring stuck in finger and there will be some videos

imjessie Sat 23-Sep-17 18:35:25

Google the string thing , you out a bit of string through it and slide it up somehow . I'm sure it will be out there somewhere .

Brightredpencil Sat 23-Sep-17 18:35:38

There's various videos on YouTube for this - vaugeuly remember something with a piece of strong / thread. But yes get your finger and hand as cool as possible.

hugoagogo Sat 23-Sep-17 18:35:47

I don't suppose there is jeweller open near you?

Josiah Sat 23-Sep-17 18:36:46

Use dental floss instead of string.

Josiah Sat 23-Sep-17 18:37:05

www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/emergencies-and-first-aid-removing-a-stuck-ring

spiderlight Sat 23-Sep-17 18:37:38

If you really think it needs cutting off today, I was once told when I was in a similar position thanks to inflammatory arthritis that the local fire station would have the necessary equipment, although a jeweller would make a tidier job of it if you want to try to repair the ring afterwards. The string/dental floss trick works for some people though - look for it on YouTube.

GreenTulips Sat 23-Sep-17 18:38:41

First station will have tools to cut rings off - 2 min job

cattychatty Sat 23-Sep-17 18:39:11

apparently wd40 works

Josiah Sat 23-Sep-17 18:39:13

Video here

www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/730916/how-to-remove-ring-trick-swollen-finger

elephantoverthehill Sat 23-Sep-17 18:39:24

My Dm was staying at my house a couple of years ago and her finger started swelling. Make you finger cold with a wrapped up ice cube, or hold under a cold tap, then use vegetable oil or butter to provide a lubricant and try to remove the ring. With Dm I managed to cut the ring off with a pair of nail clippers as it was a high carrat gold ring.

Kenworthington Sat 23-Sep-17 18:39:44

Ah I had this problem. I tried the elastic string trick and it just made it worse. In the end I went to a jeweller (one who makes jewellery not just sells it) and begged and they cut it off. Or it's a&e I'm afraid

Allthebestnamesareused Sat 23-Sep-17 18:40:38

I've used the thread method before -it really work!

jesterkat Sat 23-Sep-17 18:42:18

Try the floss trick, it really does work. Or if that doesn't, Google your local fire station for a non emergency number and call them for advice.

FanSpamTastic Sat 23-Sep-17 18:42:38

I had to have mine cut off. I hurt my finger in an accident and it swelled up and would not come down. Doctor said the hospital could cut the ring off but I would probably get a neater job done at the jewellers.

I went to a local jeweller - the kind that makes their own stuff. She had a special gadget - kind of like a mini pizza cutter. It hooks under the ring and then the cutter goes through the metal without hurting your finger. It took a few minutes. I chose her as I would take the rings back there to be repaired. She did not charge to cut the rings off - my wedding ring and engagement ring.

Then physio gave me some special tape to wrap round which reduced the swelling. It was like this - here. You start at the finger tip then wind round down towards the hand. You might be able to try the tape first and can probably get it from a chemist.

Floellabumbags Sat 23-Sep-17 18:42:42

Ice and leave it for a while. All the messing about with it will make the swelling worse. Also drink a cup of coffee (diuretic).

hugoagogo Sat 23-Sep-17 18:45:00

You could bring A&E and ask, I had a ring cut off many years ago when I had an accident on my bike.
If I remember correctly cutting my ring off was one of the first things they did, probably the triage nurse did it. No massive long wait to see the Dr.

Redglitter Sat 23-Sep-17 18:47:54

If there's a fire station nearby I'd go there it'll be done in mins rather than going to A&E

According to my brother it's not uncommon for people to arrive at his station asking for rings to be cut off

MagnumAddict Sat 23-Sep-17 18:48:11

I feel gutted about having them cut off but I've been icing on and off for three hours and it's not working. Meant to say I tried the string thing with thread but it didn't work.

Might phone nhs 24. Feel pathetic

PurpleWithRed Sat 23-Sep-17 18:51:20

Try it with elastic, fhttps://youtu.be/DxoAbK5Pc6w

FanSpamTastic Sat 23-Sep-17 18:54:45

Do try the tape first - my finger came down in literally an hour or two. Self adhesive tape - width say 1 cm. wind from fingertip towards hand - firm but not ridiculously tight. Keep an eye on finger tip to make sure not too tight! Might save having to have ring cut off!

acornsandnuts Sat 23-Sep-17 18:54:46

Far rather the rings than your finger!

poddige Sat 23-Sep-17 19:00:27

Lube lube lube use anything and everything. And use a towel with the other hand to pull it off.

I did the exact same thing. Just have to pull through the pain threshold. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now