Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

So, who wants to hear my mother's solution to my toilet training non-problem?

(95 Posts)
AveAtqueVale Sat 23-Sep-17 16:23:42

On the phone to my mother earlier, just general chitchat. She asked how DS's potty training is going and I said it's going well, but he seems actively to avoid pooing anywhere but at home. The conversation proceeded thus:

DM: Oh that's ridiculous nonsense, you can't have that.
Me: hmm Well it doesn't really bother me, it's not causing problems and he's still getting used to it all. I'm sure he'll grow out of it...
DM: No, no, no. You can't let it go on. Anyway I've got the solution. We'll take him up to London on the train and go to the Dorchester for tea.
Me: confused
DM: Their toilets are so lovely he won't be able to resist!

This not going to happen idea of going on a day trip so DS can have a poo in the loos at the Dorchester has really tickled me, and I keep remembering and cackling to myself about it grin.

isthistoonosy Sat 23-Sep-17 16:25:09

grin

DJBaggySmalls Sat 23-Sep-17 16:25:11

Is he generally very discerning for his age? grin

Firstaidnovice Sat 23-Sep-17 16:25:39

What if you create a whole new problem? A toddler who will only poo in the Dorchester? She hasn't thought this through... grin

ASDismynormality Sat 23-Sep-17 16:27:10

Fabulous solution grin

Footle Sat 23-Sep-17 16:27:11

Novice , just what I was thinking. He could have his own tiny season ticket for the journey.

AveAtqueVale Sat 23-Sep-17 16:27:52

I did wonder about that, Firstaid. I'm also curious as to why the Dorchester as opposed to any other fancy hotel...

NikiBabe Sat 23-Sep-17 16:29:22

Take her up on it as long as she is paying!

Littlepond Sat 23-Sep-17 16:29:45

I love the idea of a child who will only poo in the Dorchester!!

NC4now Sat 23-Sep-17 16:31:49

This is fabulous! I can't think why no-one's thought of this before. grin

DoesAnyoneReadTheseThings Sat 23-Sep-17 16:34:12

Can't wait for his partners post in 30 years..... "AIBU to tell my partner I'm not going to uproot my life and move away from my job, family and friends to live in London because he refuses to do a poo anywhere other than the Dorchester" grin

SusanTheGentle Sat 23-Sep-17 16:38:22

Tbf the loos in the Dorchester are vrai vrai lovely.

MrsPringles Sat 23-Sep-17 18:40:33

Omg I love this grin

Firstaidnovice Sat 23-Sep-17 19:09:22

ave, my recently potty trained son has started having loads of accidents. We've tried lots of things, reward charts, ignoring, bribery, and he genuinely doesn't seem to care. Would your mum be able to come up with an innovative solution for me?

Firstaidnovice Sat 23-Sep-17 19:11:20

(semi serious, it's starting to get a bit annoying 😁. Maybe she could do a leftfield advice column for mums? )

smellybeanpole Sat 23-Sep-17 19:15:35

gringrin

SequinsOnEverything Sat 23-Sep-17 19:16:23

What if you create a whole new problem? A toddler who will only poo in the Dorchester? She hasn't thought this through...

gringringrin

Flopjustwantscoffee Sat 23-Sep-17 19:17:10

To be fair, maybe she's really desperate to take him/you for tea in the Dorchester?

2good Sat 23-Sep-17 19:17:25

I'm a 36 year old adult and I would still rather poo at home grin. Stage fright is a very real thingwink

Anecdoche Sat 23-Sep-17 19:17:31

well. now you know what your mother enjoys doing 😁

elliejjtiny Sat 23-Sep-17 19:18:55

Love it. My 6 year old would love to poo at the Dorchester. Maybe your mum could take him!

Ttbb Sat 23-Sep-17 19:21:43

You really have to go as far as the Dorchester for a decent loo? Your poor mother has my sympathies. In that note though my DS has a oathalogical fear of toilets without windows. Will not go to save his life. This is common in most public facilities-maybe find and try sonething that looks a bit more like the loo that you have a home and keep going to the same place until he gets used to it.

Crumbs1 Sat 23-Sep-17 19:24:36

Excellent idea on part of your mother.

DorotheaHomeAlone Sat 23-Sep-17 19:28:24

Excellent parenting advice. Is she always so extravagant in her solutions? Was your childhood full of glamorous trips for mundane reasons?

drspouse Sat 23-Sep-17 19:29:38

I think this is a great solution. Will she take my DD do you think?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now