Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Anyone know about Apple Laptops? Which Mac Book - Air or Pro?

(27 Posts)
Looby4 Sat 23-Sep-17 15:19:40

We would like to buy DD a Mac Book for her 18th birthday - please could anyone advise on the right one - I know nothing. Needs to be able to do everything a student will do e.g. Word, store documents, fast internet for Netflix, web browsing etc. TIA

Auspiciouspanda Sat 23-Sep-17 15:23:24

I would say an air if she doesn't need the video editing software as it doesn't sound like she will need the extra power that the pro has.

VeryPunny Sat 23-Sep-17 15:27:56

Macbook Airs are very old tech, the line hasn't had a serious update in years, the display especially is a bit rubbish. A standard Macbook will do everything she needs.

GrumpyOldBag Sat 23-Sep-17 15:42:25

I'm very happy with my MacBook Air which is about 3 years old. And I use it for work, while DS uses it for watching loads of stuff.

I think it's a lot lighter than a Pro, which may be an important consideration.

NotACleverName Sat 23-Sep-17 15:50:23

I think it's a lot lighter than a Pro, which may be an important consideration.

I'm not sure of exact weights, but I have an early 2015 MacBook Pro and it's not the heaviest thing in the world.

I'd go with the Pro, OP.

VeryPunny Sat 23-Sep-17 16:23:45

There's only 20g weight difference between the Air and the Macbook Pro, and the Pro is thinner than the Air's thickest point.

MongerTruffle Sat 23-Sep-17 16:26:47

A standard Macbook will do everything she needs.

The basic MacBook costs the same (£1249) as the basic MacBook Pro, but the MacBook Pro has more processing power.

Boulshired Sat 23-Sep-17 16:35:29

Until the 2nd of October if she has a NUS card there is a discount and free beats headphones on MAC or iPad Pro.

chocolateworshipper Sat 23-Sep-17 22:03:48

Just asked DH who has every Apple product known to man. He said the Pro has a better quality screen but is heavier and more expensive than the Air. I have an Air and love it. He has the Pro for processing images.

MarciaBlaine Sat 23-Sep-17 22:09:11

Has she used a Mac before? I ask as dh bought me one and it hate it. Much prefer Microsoft. I would rather have a Surface type device than the Mac. Though I have an iPad and love it so it's not I am biased ;-)

LoyaltyAndLobster Sat 23-Sep-17 22:12:46

MacBook Pro

KenDoddsDadsDog Sat 23-Sep-17 22:22:30

Macbook is lighter than the Air with the new update. The Pro is almost 1lb heavier, if weight is a consideration.
I wouldn’t go for the Air - rumours were at the last developer conference it would be parked . It wasn’t but won’t be long .
Unless she’s using it for things like gaming , serious office work then the Macbook should be plenty.
You’ll need to buy the Office for Mac Home to go with your choice as well.

sweatylemon Sat 23-Sep-17 22:29:34

MacBook Pro with touch bar.
I love mine

Florence16 Sat 23-Sep-17 22:35:57

13 inch pro over an air any day. The airs have always been behind on tech specs. Do they even have retina screens yet?

loopsdefruit Sat 23-Sep-17 22:41:47

I upgraded to the MacBook Pro from the Air for this year (my final year of uni) only because I needed the higher processing for some software.

My Air still works perfectly at 5 years old, and my mum now has it.

The Air is absolutely fine for regular student use and the picture quality is decent, Also it will run the new operating system (released on Monday).

Don't spend money on Office for Mac, the Apple office suite is free and just as good (and opens and exports to Office docs if you want) also if she's at uni, she can get Student Office free then.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 24-Sep-17 08:46:55

How do you get Student Office loops ? Is it available for 6th form too ?

MulberryTree47 Sun 24-Sep-17 08:48:22

i Have an Air and absolutely love it.

thethoughtfox Sun 24-Sep-17 08:52:13

Love my Pro

IroningMountain Sun 24-Sep-17 09:09:45

Pro

All 3 of my dc lust over dh's.None want an Air. One codes and does editing though. The other two have been spoilt. I have 3 teens and 1 adult fighting over access to one Pro.😩

We aren't buying anymore electrical devices until we can afford and they have saved up enough for Pros. The Dell et al laptops we spent hours researching are shite in comparison.

Zoll Sun 24-Sep-17 09:16:19

You only need a pro for graphics processing: video editing, Photoshop, or gaming...or hacking or veerrrrry slowwww Deep Learning hahahah. If that's the plan then the ONLY one worth getting is a 15" dual-card with SSD-only and 16gb RAM - all the other Pros are really a waste of time/vanity machines that are overpowered for normal use and underpowered for pro-use.

You don't need a Macbook Pro to use Word and watch Netflix! A Macbook or Air is fine.

SuperBeagle Sun 24-Sep-17 09:18:03

MacBook Pros are much better than Airs.

I wouldn't buy an Air.

HateSummer Sun 24-Sep-17 09:23:30

I have an air and it's perfect for me. I didn't need anything powerful. One thing regarding Microsoft packages, I think you have to pay every year to use it now. I think it's around £50 a year but can't remember.

MongerTruffle Sun 24-Sep-17 10:54:03

One thing regarding Microsoft packages, I think you have to pay every year to use it now. I think it's around £50 a year but can't remember.

That's Office 365. You can still get the standard versions.

LoyaltyAndLobster Sun 24-Sep-17 13:01:59

MacBook Pros are much better than Airs

^^ Exactly this and also in terms of software I think we paid around £100 on Amazon for Office Mac 365 it says it is for one device only but I had no issue issues with installing it on the iMac.

This is how DS6 decided to customise his blush

loopsdefruit Sun 24-Sep-17 15:41:55

Ken Some schools subscribe, it's best to check with the school, most universities will and then students can download through their uni online account.

Personally I use the iWorks programs (Pages, Keynote, Numbers) I find Pages just as good, if not better, than Word and Publisher, and Keynote is fine too, I don't use Numbers but I've heard it's not quite as good as Excel so if you need Excel it might be worth getting Office. iWorks is a free suite of programs so it's also worth trying them before buying office, if you don't like them you haven't lost any money smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now