Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Refused a viewing on a house

(251 Posts)
Ambonsai Sat 23-Sep-17 12:38:57

I'm in London.
I'm looking to relocate, seen a perfect house.
But seller has refused a viewing as I don't have an offer.
I'm not expecting them to accept my offer if I don't have a buyer, but why can't I at least see it. House been on the market for a month, no viewings.

InsomniacAnonymous Sat 23-Sep-17 12:40:43

Did you approach them via an Estate Agent or directly?

Ambonsai Sat 23-Sep-17 12:41:42

Estate agent

2014newme Sat 23-Sep-17 12:41:51

That's common where we are. Have to get an offer before you're taken seriously as a buyer

Ambonsai Sat 23-Sep-17 12:42:21

You think it's the estate agent blocking it?
Why?

AppleTrayBake Sat 23-Sep-17 12:42:29

They sound like hard work, even if I loved the house of avoid!

But yes, how annoying.

PurpleDaisies Sat 23-Sep-17 12:44:09

Maybe they're only accepting viewings from people able to proceed immediately (i.e. House sold/cash buyers/no chajn wtc)?

Ambonsai Sat 23-Sep-17 12:44:12

I understand that wrt an offer newme, but what is the harm in viewing it? Surely the more people that see it is better, especially if you've had no viewings

sparechange Sat 23-Sep-17 12:44:40

That's insane!
I wouldn't firmly accept an offer on our house until we had found somewhere to move to!

Are you on the market? I can maybe understand they don't want pleasure viewings from people being nosy who have no intention of moving but they are going to struggle to sell in the current market with that sort of attitude!

Ambonsai Sat 23-Sep-17 12:45:23

I've explained my situation to them.
I only bought my house 2 years ago, it will sell very quickly, they could have an offer in 2 weeks

SwearySwearyQuiteContrary Sat 23-Sep-17 12:45:48

They're only interested in viewers that are in a position to buy. You're not at the moment.

Ambonsai Sat 23-Sep-17 12:46:01

I'm travelling 250miles for a viewing, I think I should be taken seriously

PurpleDaisies Sat 23-Sep-17 12:47:23

You can't make the seller want to let you in unfortunately.

2014newme Sat 23-Sep-17 12:47:33

Get a buyer for your house then you will be proceedable

flowery Sat 23-Sep-17 12:48:24

Are you at least on the market?

thecapitalsunited Sat 23-Sep-17 12:48:55

I’ve not long sold a flat just outside London and instructed my estate agent not to let anyone who wasn’t proceedable view. What’s the point in making the place look like spotless show home for someone who wasn’t in a position to make an offer? It’s in the same boat as not having a mortgage in principle really.

Ambonsai Sat 23-Sep-17 12:49:32

But there's no logic. They could wait months for that, I could see the house next week and have a buyer for mine in another week.

The thing is, I'm not in a hurry to move, but I will speed things up if I find the right house.

I won't actually buy a house if I don't find the right one, I'd make the move into rental.

fucksakefay Sat 23-Sep-17 12:49:39

How do you know they have had no viewings?

HoneyIshrunktheBiscuit Sat 23-Sep-17 12:50:22

If the house is popular and they've had lots of requests for viewings this is normal. They buyer may want a quick sale and is only interested in people in a position to buy immediately.

WallisFrizz Sat 23-Sep-17 12:50:25

House viewings are a pain in the arse. You have to make sure your house is immaculate and if your juggling work and children that can be a pain. They don't want to waste their time for people who are not in a position to proceed. Sensible and common place.

Aderyn17 Sat 23-Sep-17 12:50:30

But you are not in a position to proceed, so it doesn't matter how much you may like the house. They probably just don't want people trudging through their house who can't make an offer - their house, their prerogative.
Why don't you put yours up, get the offer if you can do it quickly and then see this one?

PurpleDaisies Sat 23-Sep-17 12:51:12

The thing is, I'm not in a hurry to move, but I will speed things up if I find the right house.

That doesn't make you sound very attractive as a buyer to me.

Why don't you just put your house on the market? It's easy to say it'll sell in 2 weeks before you actually try and sell it...

guestofclanmackenzie Sat 23-Sep-17 12:52:24

I actually agree with the seller.

Although I'm already very houseproud, I spend hours getting the house ready for a viewer and we got to the point that we were so sick of spending the weekends preparing the house, plus organising for the dogs to be out of the way to find out they were just timewasters or people just having a nosy. In the end, we told the agent we didn't want anyone viewing our house unless they were in a position to proceed.

JigglyTuff Sat 23-Sep-17 12:52:30

It's a pain in the arse doing viewings. You have to put crap in the car, tidy up, lock the kids and the pets away. I wouldn't want to do a viewing for you either I'm afraid.

Ambonsai Sat 23-Sep-17 12:52:32

Because then I'd have a buyer for mine and be forced to move out earlier than I needed to. There's been 2 houses in the last year that I would buy, they don't come up that often

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now